Sub Woofer Blues

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreftar, Dec 24, 2006.

1. dreftar

dreftar

Now don't get me wrong I do like those low notes and a crisp driving bass line. The problem is that just when I think Ive got it all set up running well, sounding musical, balanced entertaining etc etc a CD comes along and well everything just sounds CRAP!. This happened today with AMy Winehouse her album sounded oh so interesting, cool, creative and unique and especially detailed on my headphones. I put it on the CD and ooooooh that bass my livingroom immediated became a subwoofer powered boy racers dream. Frantically I reached for the volume control so that the book case wouldnt fall over or the dinner plates crash from the shelves. Even at the subs lowest setting it was still too much. Yet on some other CDs like the Cream of Clapton, no matter how I adjust the sub woofer "CrossRoads" still sounds like it is being played on a dansette record player. Im not sure if my settings, equipment are at fault but I seem to be for ever adjusting the level that the sub woofer is set. In the end I usually set it with a series of pure tones around the cross over frequency of 80Hz and Golfrapp etc rarely gets played and I am still seeking a good recoring of "Crossroads"

dreftar, Dec 24, 2006
  2. dreftar

andyoz

Bass levels in rock/pop recordings have been increasing steadily over the years. I had ther same problem with Macy Grays album, it's a real "thumper" on any system that is capable of low and powerful bass. Completely swamps the dynamics of the the rest of the music and you don't necesaarily need a sub-woofer to suffer from the effect. It's hit or miss unfortunately. :(

andyoz, Dec 24, 2006
  3. dreftar

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

does your sub allow you to program in room correction dreftar?

the velodyne room correction unit may be the answer if not.

bottleneck, Dec 24, 2006
  4. dreftar

la toilette Downright stupid

Yeah that Amy Winehouse album has got some serious bass on it though, a lot more than most. I've been playing with positioning and wadding materials in my speaker cabs to try to attain the best bass performance (mainly quality over quantity) but that album confounds my best efforts - it really sets the bloody things off.

la toilette, Dec 24, 2006
  5. dreftar

dreftar

Unfortunately Not my sub is a behringer Truth B2092A - iT works really well - detailed tight and extended bass on most program material - only some - mainly rock/pop (Goldfrapp - Amy Winehouse) send me to press the switch that by passes the sub - and on some program material there is nothing below about 100hz - On classical music it is excellent - Carmina burana - La Vie Parisienne - Verdi - requiem - absolutely brilliant - So I do believe that some room equalisation would improve things - the sub was excellent value but not in the same league as the velo - I have tried several locations to find the best position and am generally impressed. Fortunately the manufacturers have included the option of a switch that by passes the sub!!

dreftar, Dec 24, 2006
  6. dreftar

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Unless you have tone controls ( :yikes: ) there is little you can do. It's very hard to find a loudspeaker that sounds meaty enough with all the old 70's and 80's stuff and yet doesn't sound overpowering with all the newer stuff.

Perhaps you could fit castors to the speakers and drag them out into the middle of the room whenever you play a bass-heavy CD :D

technobear, Dec 25, 2006
  7. dreftar

Jimbo

If you have a Behringer sub then go for the Behringer DEQ2496 that will cure it. Jim.

Jimbo, Dec 25, 2006
  8. dreftar

dreftar

Thanks Jim
    I have been considering this but I really dont like messing with the source too much!

dreftar, Dec 25, 2006
  9. dreftar

b1u3print

The bass on some albums is excessive even without a sub; it’s just the way they are recorded.

It appears that you are more than happy with the sound quality on the vast majority of music that you listen to and that’s a great thing. I really wouldn’t consider major system changes in an attempt to make 1 or 2 un-listenable albums sound right.

Chances are, if you where to adjust your setup to make those particular records sound good, it would have an adverse effect on everything else you listen to.

Just accept the fact that every now and again you are going to come across recordings that sound crap and it isn’t necessarily you systems fault.

b1u3print, Dec 26, 2006
  10. dreftar

JANDL100

Yup, I quite agree.

A lot of pop/rock etc stuff these days is recorded with MP3/iPod users as the main customer - so the bass is tuned to sound good on these bass-light goodies - so it sounds way bass-heavy on decent kit. :rolleyes:

Just turn the sub off when you don't need it - and don't throw out decent kit 'cos of a few wayward recordings.

JANDL100, Dec 28, 2006
  11. dreftar

I disagree..

excessive bass shown up on some recordings is more about exciting room modes/ time delay problems/ sub-speaker integration than it is a recording.

You really can cure it with the right software.

bottleneck, Dec 28, 2006
  12. dreftar

JANDL100

Nah - if it sounds right on large scale classical (where, usually, the sound isn't buggered about too much) and on many rock etc recordings, then you have to look to the duff recordings, not the environment. IMO & IME, of course :cool:

JANDL100, Dec 28, 2006
  13. dreftar

rollo

Right on,its the recording bass is tilted up possibly OUT OF PHASE to the rest as well.
    A correction device for the sub ONLY will do the trick
    rollo

rollo, Dec 28, 2006
  14. dreftar

rollo - that's exactly what I was trying to say.

unless of course you are experiencing problems with bass from the woofers of the stereo speakers.

bottleneck, Dec 29, 2006
  15. dreftar

rollo

bottleneck,
    Thats cool,It appears to me as well that the program material of today especially rock has pumped up or out of phase bass.The Behringer EQ will solve this problem BIG TIME.
    Install between Pre and Sub only.I personally do not care for the EQ for the entire system but thats me
    Happy New Year to all
    rollo

rollo, Dec 31, 2006
  16. dreftar

dreftar

ThankYou all for the postings.In the meantime Iam installing a switch to cancell out the sub - a facility for this is available on the Sub and
    later on Ill try a Behringer Eq.It is interesting that the subs manual recommends using the Eq.

dreftar, Dec 31, 2006
Ask a Question