Subs - are two smaller ones best

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreftar, Apr 26, 2006.

1. dreftar

Stereo Mic

You have £2200 worth of speakers and amps.

You will need to spend a similar amount on a subwoofer or two to not compromise the performance of your system.

Stereo Mic, Apr 27, 2006
  2. dreftar

KUB3 ciao

That's the mistake I made. My previous system wasn't too shabby, with £2500 standmounters and £3000 of amplification. Asking a £1000 sub to keep up was never going to work well enough. A £5000 sub might have stood some chance. Still, if your going to go that far it makes more sense to just buy full range speakers in the first place - if you have room. Or diy a £5k sub for £1k in bits.

KUB3, Apr 27, 2006
  3. dreftar

Stereo Mic

Yep Kub,

It's a lesson most learn the hard way - no doubt spurred on by the reviews of very mediocre subwoofers.

I have done the DIY subwoofer route (£10K subs for £2K) and they really do work with very high end standmounts.

Stereo Mic, Apr 27, 2006
  4. dreftar

KUB3 ciao

At present I don't particuarly have the need of subs and certainly don't have the space in my temporarily smaller listening room. However one day I'd like to play with some effing great 24" earth movers, just for a giggle. Whether they would sound ok is another matter!

From experience so far, I have found the more power you have the more accurate a sub will sound. I expect it is mandatory to spend £3k plus on a decent power amp for a start. Not some nonse hifi label, rather a decent pro sourced unit with power rated by the kw.

KUB3, Apr 28, 2006
  5. dreftar

Stereo Mic

I chose a Crown K1 simply because it has a reputation for being one of the best bass amps around. A pro design, it has greater bottom end clout and control than any Krell or Bryston I have heard, yet costs about £850.

Stereo Mic, Apr 28, 2006
  6. dreftar

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Apr 28, 2006
  7. dreftar

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

True, I can understand why that would make sense. If you want a job done right, leave it to te experts? However, I'd feel more confident that Ruark had tuned the Log Rythm for maxium musicality, speed & integration with their standmount speaker range.

DT

Funny that, did I just use the term "maximum musicality" in reference to a subwoofer? They must have put something in my muesli this morning :D

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 28, 2006
  8. dreftar

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Actually, it would be using a pair of 18" Drivers in a folded W dipole, if you ask me....

Something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/index.htm?/hifi/disub18_2.htm

We build a pair of a similar design for a friends very large music room, very nice.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Apr 28, 2006
  9. dreftar

Stereo Mic

See Here

Only nutters buy in Britain at those prices;)

Stereo Mic, Apr 28, 2006
  10. dreftar

KUB3 ciao

Veeeeery interesting. Looks like fun.

Would you get a warranty with an imported crown amp?

Who fancies designing me a sub box, for a fee of course.

KUB3, Apr 28, 2006
  11. dreftar

dreftar

sounds like an interesting proposition what about one built into an old fire place ported to the outside world - or inside a sofa firing at the floor in a transmission line encloseure? just two ideas

dreftar, Apr 28, 2006
  12. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

Well there is that one there that Thorsten linked to! Many others around the net so not really any need to commission one. You just need to get it built.

Tenson, Apr 28, 2006
  13. dreftar

Stereo Mic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got these two lying around if you've got the space. Stick a pair of Volt 15" radials in and you are away.

Stereo Mic, Apr 28, 2006
  14. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

Wow those are some good looking subs! Did you build them yourself? The finish is great.

I'm not sure I would use Volt radials though. They are designed much more for ported enclosures. Correct me if these are ported though.

Tenson, Apr 29, 2006
  15. dreftar

Robbo

i have had the misfortune of helping to move these monsters and they are ****ing heavy! You can lose you arm in the ports.

Robbo, Apr 29, 2006
  16. dreftar

KUB3 ciao

I was thinking more for the future. I don't have the space right now unfortunately.

KUB3, Apr 29, 2006
  17. dreftar

Stereo Mic

Tenson,

they are the bottom bit of these

[​IMG]

Anyone wanting reference class bass, these can be picked up from me anytime - a small donation would be apreciated.

Stereo Mic, Apr 29, 2006
  18. dreftar

dreftar

Kind of strayed a bit from the thread - originally i wanted to enjoy some of the depth and power of bass that my lovely SMALL Elac 310 i s could not deliver. I bought them because my room is small and they sound so sweet and musical. I just wondered if two small fast subs (8 inch drivers) would better than one larger one. I know that reference bass means moving massess of air and for that you need big drive units but I live in a house not a palace!

dreftar, Apr 29, 2006
  19. dreftar

Robbo

And I think the point that some of us are making is that unless you pay a lot of money for high quality subs preferably with digital EQ software to enable seamless integration, then trust me it isnt worth the effort. You will only be frustrated by the poor integration/distortion. Hifi quality subwoofery is not a cheap option, despite what the mags say. I dont think £400 is going to cut it, unfortunately.

Robbo, Apr 29, 2006
  20. dreftar

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Theres a Velodyne HGS10 on audiomarkt for 1300 euro (£900).
    http://www.audiomarkt.com/

Thats a good sub.

I've just spent a big fat wad on a sub (or am about to in truth) - because I know how different something like a velodyne HGS or better still DD is than a REL or similar.

I don't think you can get good sub sounds for £400 in all honesty.

If you're dead set on deeper bass, if I was in your shoes I'd sell the Elac's and put the money plus my £400 into a pair of speakers with a deeper bass.

I don't think you want that though as you sound happy apart from the deep stuff.

bottleneck, Apr 29, 2006
Ask a Question