Subwoofer Set-up HELP!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ratinoff, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Ratinoff

Ratinoff

Hello all, I'm posting because I need help connecting a Gemini XTR-400 subwoofer to a Onkyo TX-SR504 (North American model). The subwoofer is powered so it should be connectible/readable by the a/v receiver. Right now I have a TRS connector going from the subwoofer input to a TRS to RCA converter, and then finally connecting into the a/v receiver subwoofer pre-out. I know that this must be incorrect, because no sound is being emitted from the subwoofer. I'm missing some connection back to the woofer from the receiver, or I connected the devices wrong. Even if I have the set-up correct, and the woofer was blown, wouldn't it still make some noise?

Below is a diagram of the Onkyo TX-SR504 (North American model) hook-up panel with the subwoofer pre-out slot circled:

[​IMG]

Below is a diagram of the XTR-400 hook-up panel with the inputs circles:

[​IMG]

Any help on with this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ratinoff, Aug 17, 2008
  2. Ratinoff

D Louth 77

Hi ratinoff

Ok first thing to do is unplug the sub from the sub pre out on the back of the av amp . With the sub on and the volume on it turned up a bit tap the center pin on the connecting lead if a thuding comes from the sub then you know its working . If so then check that you did have the rca sub lead hooked up to the correct out on amp .

If you did then you may not have told the amp that a sub was hooked up . Go into set up menu and switch sub input on then try sub again . If it still doesn't work after you have set up the amp ,then there could be a fault with the amp .

Subs can be hooked up in three ways . Phono rca lead ,speaker cable or a speakon connection as Rel use as alternative to speaker cable . Most common is rca-rca cable .

If you get sound out when taping the end of phono cable then your sub is ok if not then it may be faulty .

If after doing this i will tell you how to set it up .

Place sub in corner of room (along axiss of front speakers) point sub out to longest length of room . Play music with natural bass (not electronic) . Play music and get a feel for correct volume level . Then bring sub volume in until you can just here it and no more . You should hear an increase in weight and scale and the acoustic of the recording venue/studio( a live or simple recording is best ) Get a friend to move the sub forward slightly until you here the best quality of bass(this may only be a matter of a few inches or less ). Once happy then get your friend to turn the sub slightly to the left an right but not moving the distance from the back of the sub to much. Either turned to the left or the right will give you a better sound (mark the floor as to where is best )

Then set crossover ,with AV its usually suggested to use 80htz I would set it by ear. Adjust it by ear ,you will pick it up as to which is best . This works for music but you can also use this for AV as well .

Hope you sort your problem out .

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Aug 18, 2008
  3. Ratinoff

darrylfunk

isnt that a budget dj/pa system sub ?
    i would not use that for home use its horrible.
    sorry.

darrylfunk, Aug 20, 2008
Ask a Question