Sugden A48B vs Quad 520f

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by harrygrey382, Jun 7, 2007.

1. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

Bought a Sugden A48B and Quad 520f on ebay recently. All arrived no worries, made up some interconnects for the Quad, and while itching to get these two home to drive the Tannoy 15" Monitor Golds though I'd do a mini trial with my MS25i's, also against my normal NAD 3020B.

Test music was Pink Floyd - Happiest Days of Our Lives, Led Zeppelin - Custard, Brian Eno - Needle in the Camels Eye, Robert Plant - 29 Palms, Bob Marley - Posotive Vibrations, and Johnny Cash - Wreck of the Old '97.

I chose these not for any audiophile qualities, just because for me they all have qualites I want the amps to be able to show.
    Source was a Philips PSC706 into a Marantz DD82 as a DAC. Not High end I know but no options here. Will use a vinyl source later.

I used the Pre-out on the 3020 for a preamp for the Quad. Apart from a fair amount of background static, the source combo isn't appaling.

Hooked the 520f up first and fairly cranked it. Bass cones started getting a good workout on Pink Floyd. I actually found later this to be the most challenging track, just after the chopper bit. Bass was very well extended, full clean and enveloping (especially with Bob). JC's voice pretty laid back, but sweet. The screaming of Brian Eno's synth not at all tiring. Everything about it seemed effortless.

Next the A48B. Trying Bob first up, The bass was as clean, maybe not as extended, close though. For the same volume with Pink Floyd, there was some distortion. Bass had the same slam, but not at volume. It was definitely pulling more detail out of each track, and although JC's voice was clearer it was in no way painful at volume. Led Zep was clean and pacy, and again more detailed. Eno and Robert Plant were getting a bit bright for in fact.

As an afterthought, I treid the 3020. I was surprised it didn't mind going almost to the volumes of the A48B (suffereing on PF though). Detail was down a lot, the bass well extended but pretty boomy and cluttered. Sounds were not present as with the other two. But I've been using it for a while now and like the combo with the speakers. Didn't touch the tone controls.

So all in all, I find myself wanting to like the A48B most. But find it very detailed with the source and speakers, and the Quad had so much 'power' (not just spec wise). But I won't comment on them properly until they're driving the Tannoys with a better source.

NB- I'm still finding my feet in the audio world, and have no idea what I would be expected to find in this. It was a rough test with a lot of areas below the standards of what most of you may be used to. But it was my first head to head. I'll try an AB test next time. Can anyone comment on my findings, or suggest there methods of testing amps?

harrygrey382, Jun 7, 2007
  2. harrygrey382

zanash

remember the nad 3020 punches well above its weight....but the pre section is not wonderful ...swap the pol for an alps blue ! and you'll see :)

I'd go for the quad .....but then I've always liked the quad house sound....

I don't like the sound of "there was some distortion".....could be the amp needs a re cap.....?

zanash, Jun 8, 2007
  3. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

Yes I'd say the 3020 wasn't out of place. I may well do some upgrading on it (I see it's very well documented).

I assumed the distortion was just it clipping. Or would this not be possible given the volume that would be at (89dB, 75-150)?

It's funny I thought the Sugden should technically better the Quad, being a more expensive and I thought higher end brand. If I keep the Quad (will AB it against the Sugden with a passive linestage) I'll build this http://sound.westhost.com/project88.htm for it

harrygrey382, Jun 8, 2007
Ask a Question