Sugden bi-amp question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Golden Master, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Golden Master

Golden Master

Paranoid android question,

I've got Sugden A21a integrated and power amps. They were attached by a 0.5m interconnect but because of a new rack, can no longer be. If I now obtain and use a 1m interconnect am I at risk of degrading the output due to timing issues or do I have no grasp of the laws of physics?

You might ask why i don't just try it and see but my brain will conjure a negative difference unless I'm told it's not possible.

Many thanks

Golden Master, Jan 3, 2008
  2. Golden Master

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Let's (not unreasonably) assume that the electrical signal propogates in the interconnect at 0.7c. Thus it "travels" at 2.1x10^8 ms^-1.

That means the extra half metre of cable adds a delay of 2.3x10^-9 seconds. 2.3 nanoseconds. Alternatively you can consider it as a phase shift of less than 0.02 degrees at 20kHz (less than 0.0009 at 1kHz).

In other words no. There will not be any degradation to the sound from a "time delay" introduced by a slightly longer piece of cable.

I-S, Jan 3, 2008
  3. Golden Master

Golden Master

Thank you, that's just what the doctor ordered

Golden Master, Jan 3, 2008
Ask a Question