Sugden CD players

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by divad68, Dec 10, 2006.

1. divad68

divad68

Hi, I've seen a few positive comments about Sugden CD players on this forum (Masterclass, in particular). Can anyone tell me, in terms of presentation, what they sound like?

The reason whay I am asking is that I am finding my CDX2 has a tendency to make some CD's sound a little harsh/hard...it feels as though some part of the midrange is emphasised slightly. I'm using the CDX2 (bare) with a Sugden A21SE and B&W 804S's.

divad68, Dec 10, 2006
  2. divad68

Illuminist

I would say the MasterClass has an organic, natural sound and the CD21 (haven't heard Series2) has the same character - just less of it.

...Though the sounding of CD-Players can't be phrased exact. i.e The recording and genre.

I have to emphasize that spending your time/money with a DAC and less on the CD-Player will be absolutely beneficial. :JPS:

Illuminist, Dec 10, 2006
  3. divad68

Garmt

I have heard the Sugden 21 CD player. It is a good one. Matches well with the amplifier and will be best suited to classical music.

Garmt, Dec 11, 2006
  4. divad68

HR100MCS

I am, at this very minute, enjoying my Sugden Masterclass and it is, in all honesty, superb. I did have a Theta Basic II Transport and Chord DAC 64 which was very dynamic and very detaled but time and again I ended up turning to my Turntable - just to enjoy music rather than my hi-fi.

The Sugden has changed this. It is as detailed as the Chord but has a much more refined, almost organic presentation. The Chord could, undoubtedly, get the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up but the Sugden has put a huge smile on my face.

The crowning proof is that I can happily have a listening session without switching on my Turnatble (Roksan TMS1, SME V and Lyra Argo). The Sugden is NOT better than my turntable but it gets bloody close :MILD:

But it and enjoy. i have recently spotted a couple of Masterclass players on Audiophile Candy for less than £1500 - pretty good for such a superb machine.

HR100MCS, Dec 11, 2006
  5. divad68

speedy.steve

Was out of my price league when I last changed CD players.
    Must get to listen to one.
    Looks a bit like a Cybermans CD player would:)

speedy.steve, Dec 12, 2006
  6. divad68

iansr

Divad68
    Illuminist got it exactly right, very organic, very non-digital. My Sugden modded Masterclass is even more so as it has a SUPER rare TDA1541S2 DAC which is a full 16 bit (unlike 99.999% of so called 16 bit chips). I've just bought a TEAC P30 transport and plan to buy a top end standalone DAC so this Masterclass may be for sale. PM me if you are interested.

iansr, Dec 13, 2006
  7. divad68

Saab

I love my CD21,and partnered with the A21 is fabulous.But not for big orchestral pieces or fast rock music,the poor things get a little tired and confused.But feed it some acoustic material,such as Nick Drake and it really can't be beaten for my money.

Saab, Dec 15, 2006
  8. divad68

mtitech

Hello,

Illumnist is spot on here, I've heard both the Masterclass and the CD21, they are both very smooth, effortless and natural BUT they do seem to have a problem with complex, multi layered pieces or anything seriously up tempo such as dance, rock or pop music, if this material makes up a substantial part of your music collection, I would be looking elsewhere.

If you can handle their look, you should check out Shanling, they are far better with complex material and seem much more versatile in terms of the music they handle really well, I haven't found anything they can't handle to date.

I would also VERY seriously look at a transport / DAC combo. If you have upto £1,500 to work with, then I have heard the Perpetual Technologies twins, the P-1A & the P-3A, along with the outboard PSU, are meant to be stunning, and I've also heard the Audiolab / TAG McLaren DAC, that is incredibly clean and open, and can be picked up for a song. Given the number of digital devices today (CD, Freeview for radio, PC, Squeezebox etc.) then a DAC makes much more sense.

Cheers,

Mike

mtitech, Dec 22, 2006
  9. divad68

Saab

Tbh,I don't think its the CD21 that does that,its the amp.the poor thing gets a little confused with complex pieces.I suspect most hear the Cd21 with the A21 and blame the Cd player,when in fact we all know every CD player sounds the same.

Saab, Dec 22, 2006
Ask a Question