Suggestions on Phono Stage

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by crobo, Aug 1, 2004.

1. crobo

crobo

I have had my new TT for about 6 months and am enjoying vinyl again. The table sounds almost but not quite there - the treble seems to be a bit subdued compared with the one set up in the shop. Having said that, the midrange is superb and bass pretty good too. The difference was that it was running through an Acoustic Signature stage and Electrocompaniet amp rather than my MF A3.2 Integrated using the built in stage.

I was thinking that something along the lines of a Pro-Ject Tube Box or maybe S/H things like Tom Evans Microgroove or EAR 834P

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

PS. Being in OZ we have a totally crap (and overpriced) selection of gear like phono stages available here so I would have no problem in mail ordering something in UK

crobo, Aug 1, 2004
  2. crobo

Lt Cdr Data om

here's my suggestion, I am biased, but flog the amp., buy a s/h naim nait3 or nac/nap90 with built in phono stage, iI doubt you will get a better phonostage than that, and the amps. aren't bad, too!!

Lt Cdr Data, Aug 1, 2004
  3. crobo

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

sideshowbob's second hand trichord dino from the classifieds here in zerogain.

dont think you'll do much better for the money.

bottleneck, Aug 1, 2004
  4. crobo

crobo

I guess we will have to agree to disagree here because I like the MF amp and think it drives the Dyn's well. I don't really want to open a new can of worms by changing the amp and getting something to work well with the speakers.

I have never heard Naim gear but I am not sure about DIN leads - another problem in changing the amp as presumably all my phono leads go into the drawer. :(

crobo, Aug 2, 2004
  5. crobo

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

I have a michell ISO + Hera combination. IMHO it's very good though very slightly lean through the mids. It beat off the Roksans own phono stage, (Artaxerxes), which was the first phono I tried as I have a Xerxes.

The Microgroove is a development of the ISO and is meant to have even better resolution (an ISO strength) but is also more neutral (the ISO tends towards being a bit analytical). So, if I was in the market for a replacement the Microgroove would be my first audition.

GTM

GTM, Aug 2, 2004
  6. crobo

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

But if you want something a little more toe-tapping, with some warmth for good measure as well as great sound stage then the EAR 834 is a good bet...
    I've got the deluxe version, which is most handsome in its' chrome-ness and almost worth the extra!

leonard smalls, Aug 2, 2004
  7. crobo

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

me too leonard! , just a bit more cash for an 834P really..

cant say Ive heard anything that I prefer yet.

Not everyones cup of tea though :)

bottleneck, Aug 2, 2004
  8. crobo

I auditioned it against the Brinkmann, Lehmann, Trichord, Microgroove and Clearaudio something or other, and it definitely produced the best music...

Not necessarily teh most analytical or ultra transparent but enough to make my Clearaudio TT into a music machine rather than Teutonic Data Retrieval Device :D

BTW Crobo, what TT/arm/cart do you have?

leonard smalls, Aug 2, 2004
  9. crobo

crobo

Nothing too esoteric - Pro-Ject RPM 6 with Pro-Ject Arm and Garrott Bros Optim S(hibata)2 MM cart also Acoustic Signature Grip clamp

I guess given that combo cost approx. 700 quid, I don't want to go overboard on the phono stage but have heard the difference a stage can make compared to the inbuilt device on my MF A3.2 amp.

I have checked out a few reviews for the Microgroove and it seems to be pretty favourable. Only thing I am wondering is that if the Microgroove is described as neutral and the rest of my gear tends the same way the perhaps some tube warmth might be a good idea? :confused:

Thanks for the feedback

crobo, Aug 3, 2004
  10. crobo

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Crobo,

Given that your TT front-end costs GBP 700, you are right to not go overboard on the phono stage. As you are using an MM cart, you might want to look at the Graham Slee phono stages such as the Gram Amp 2 or the 2SE http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/preamps/Gram-Amp-2-SE.htm If you are feeling lucky, then you could push the boat out and go for the Graham Slee Era Gold V ;) - http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/preamps/era-gold.htm

FWIW, I home auditioned the TE Microgroove, the EAR 834P, Lehman Black Cube, Trichord Dino plus power supply and the Graham Slee Era Gold V bested them all with superb bass, midrange and highs, excellent timing and valve-like musicality for the money.

If you are looking for a warmish sound, then avoid the Microgroove - reviews don't tell the full story.;) The other downside of the Microgroove is that it has to be configured at the factory for your particular cartridge. This must be done each time you change cartridges and being in Australia, I'm not sure that you would want to go through that hassle when there are better phono stages out there for less money. ;)

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie.:D

Lawrie, Aug 3, 2004
  11. crobo

Ken

Hi,

Seen as you are in Australia, for some unkown reason the Sonic Frontiers is cheaper down here than most palces, you could do a lot worse than the Sonic Frontiers SF1-P.

I bought one last year for A$1100.00 (under £400 at the time), it is the best that I have heard by a fair margin, certainly the equal of the Audio Research PH3.

Ken

Ken, Aug 3, 2004
  12. crobo

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

Another Australian stage to consider is the Dynavector P75 which has had some rave reviews and I think comfortably betters the Tom Evans. Should be cheap in Oz and offer really good MC perfromance if you upgrade.

Cheers

Jason

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2004
    ReJoyce, Aug 3, 2004
  13. crobo

Lawrie

Rejoyce,

What is the connection between Dynavector, Japan (the cartridge manufacturer) & Dynavector, Australia, (the phono stage manufacturer)? Are they one and the same?

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie, Aug 3, 2004
  14. crobo

Not exactly one in the same. I think this is how it went ... DV Japan cartridges (amongst other things well tempered and Shahinian being notable) were (and still are) distributed in NZ/Australia by a guy called Frank Denson and he distributed under the name of Dynavector systems Australia. DV NZ/Australia encouraged DV JP to design a no holds barred cartridge that became the TeKaitora and hence the Maori name. DV NZ/Australia also started to design amplifiers and DV JP allowed them to use the company name. So they are different but closely related and this explains why the DV phono amplifiers use a version of the Dr. Tominari MC stage. The P75 and the TeKaitora both appear on the DV JP site.

The above also explains why many DV amp users also have Shahinians, WT turntables and DV carts!

Cheers

Jason

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2004
    ReJoyce, Aug 3, 2004
  15. crobo

Lawrie

Rejoyce,

Thanks for that explanation. You anticipated my next question by also commenting on the connection between Shahinian, Well Tempered and Dynavector. Nice one!!:D

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie, Aug 3, 2004
  16. crobo

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

As well as Sideshowbob's Trichord Dino, there is John Hunt's Graham Slee at a good price. I don't know if it is still for sale in the for buy & sale section. Worth a good look.

I must admit that I have not tried a Graham Slee phono stage. I have heard nothing but good reports. They are made about less than 20 miles from where I live.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 3, 2004
  17. crobo

Ken

I was speaking with a Dynavector rep in Oz, copied below is the information he sent me. Note however it is 6 months out of date so prices may have changed up or down.

"Also released the new P-75 phono stage. This is a complete, very high quality phono solution in one compact box. It will work with all cartridges and converts from phono to line level. It is fully user adjustable and no soldering is required. It has had rave reports worldwide and the sales have been simply overwhelming. This unit is $699.00 in Australia including the power supply. It also have one unique feature in that it incorporates Dynavector's patented "phono enhancer" circuitry. This mode extracts the current signal rather than the voltage signal from the cartridge thus reducing non-linear effects in the magnetic circuits that are common to all cartridges. Like all the other options, this mode is user selectable"

If you are not looking to spend the amount of money that has been discussed, there is always the new Musical Fidelity XLP-S3 at around $500.00, or even a used MF XLP-S (the round shape) from a dealer at under $300.

Ken

Ken, Aug 4, 2004
  18. crobo

That's funny, I auditioned all those at the same time at home, and I found that the Era Gold was kind of flat sounding compared to the EAR.. The Lehmann was 2nd in my book!
    Says lots about either ears, or partnering kit, or room interactions!

leonard smalls, Aug 4, 2004
  19. crobo

Lawrie

Leonard,

That's why labelling kit as 'crap sounding' is not the done thing these days as it's all about system synergy and personal preference.;) The EAR 834P sounded rolled-off at the top end and darkish to my ears. To get it to sound the way I wanted would have meant tube-rolling (lots of it), changing caps etc and all I wanted was a fit & forget phono stage and that's where the Era Gold V came in.

In my system, the Era Gold V does not sound flat at all. It simply brings the music to life. On vinyl I listen to jazz, blues, instrumentals and vocals (especially female vocalists such as Ella Fitzgerald, Alison Krauss, Jennifer Warnes etc). I don't listen to rock or classical music unless the Eagles, Hell Freezes Over LP is regarded as rock. I also know a few people who have chosen the Era Gold V and the Era Gold V/Elevator step-up combo over the EAR 834P so I am not alone. Anyway, that's synergy for you and maybe, room acoustics.:D

Enjoy the music,

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2004
    Lawrie, Aug 4, 2004
  20. crobo

In my system the Era Gold was far better than the Lehmann which was very boring, in a nice beautiful way, but boring all the same.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Aug 5, 2004
Ask a Question