Sun Linux a Good Rival to Windows

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by auric, Dec 19, 2003.

1. auric

auric FOSS

"Good news: The Stoned Beaver is finally clean and sober and may soon be coming to a desktop near you.

"Stoned Beaver" was the code name for Linux Kernel 2.6, a major new upgrade to the Linux operating system kernel that was released on Wednesday. In a post to the Kernel Developers list, Linus Torvalds announced that the Beaver had entered detox over Thanksgiving. "

Sun Linux a Good Rival to Windows

This is something I'll keep an eye on, prehaps my next machine may have this and no windows. We will see, it looks a good start.

Auric:)

auric, Dec 19, 2003
  2. auric

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

My problem with Linux its not very user friendly. Its getting better though. Also I have never found it any more stable than say Windows XP.

I would love it if an easy to use version of Linux came out though.

amazingtrade, Dec 19, 2003
  3. auric

sideshowbob Trisha

Try running some real-world servers. Desktop Linux is probably never going to gain much of a market share, but its stability in a server environment is unmatched by any flavour of Windows, although things have improved a bit since NT.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Dec 20, 2003
  4. auric

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

lol yep I know linux servers are much more stable but then I have no intention of setting up a web server or even a network server.

Windows 2K3 seems to be stable from what I have used of it. However I've not used it that much. My webspace is provided on a WIN 2K3 server and its great because I can use ASP and PHP at the same time (good for educational purposes).

amazingtrade, Dec 20, 2003
  5. auric

auric FOSS

Agree 100% - lets see what is sold to us punters and is it easy to use. The link would suggest that this is now the case and with a copy of SunOffice or OpenOffice as standard then it should do most of what MSoffice does on say XP.

Auric

auric, Dec 20, 2003
  6. auric

Sgt Rock

I really miss SunOS 3.5 & Apollo Aegis/Domain OS :p

But for applications and ease of use it has to be Windows XP, sorry guys Linux is too hard for Mr Public to configure.

Sgt Rock, Dec 20, 2003
  7. auric

auric FOSS

MS was "plug & prey" plus "plug and pay", this must be "plug and play&q

Ease of use and

is what is going to sell this to distributors and and then it should start to appear preloaded on peoples machines. I suppose the Microsoft tax, (bundled) software cost (OS & Office) price reduction will help if this is passed onto us the punter.

Auric:)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2003
    auric, Dec 20, 2003
Ask a Question