Sure 50watt Cass-D Mini-amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

I just got one of these to see how the TDA7294 chip it is based on performs and I have to say I'm really impressed by the quality of item you get for £28 delivered!

The case is aluminium extrusion with a thick solid aluminium face plate. Vol knob is metal too and it has binding posts on the back not cheap clips as one finds on the original 'T-amp'.

Whats-more the PSU is nicely overrated at 120watts! Since the amp IC is rated 50watts at 10% THD it is more realistically a 30watt amp for proper hi-fi use. So the PSU is rated double.

Inside the case there is extensive filtering for the power lines and a digitally controlled analog volume control IC (not a plain potentiometer). The amp IC is heatsinked with a plate of aluminium and faces to the bottom of the extruded case and it looks as though they are meant to touch but they didn't use a thick enough piece of metal. So I stuck a few craft-knife blades stacked together in the gap to flesh it out and get the whole case acting as heatsink.

[​IMG]

Tenson, Nov 13, 2013
  2. Tenson

RobHolt Moderator

Looks great.
    Wonder how many confuse it with that other 'Shure' :)

RobHolt, Nov 13, 2013
  3. Tenson

DSJR

Any chance of a link to the supplier please?

DSJR, Nov 14, 2013
  4. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Nov 14, 2013
  5. Tenson

Labarum

How does this Sure amp fair in a listening test against (say) a Quad 303 or other low power quality amp?

Labarum, Nov 15, 2013
  6. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

I've not compared using high quality speakers against a known good amp. I'd like to when I get the chance.

It should sound good, the distortion is low, here is a plot of 1KHz disto vs. output power on a 25V supply. If there is an achilles heel it is the distortion around 3-6KHz which is higher than the rest of the range (something to do with multiples of the PWM freq I wonder) peaking around 0.2% within sensible power outputs. Whether this adds a slight sound will depend on what sort of harmonic content it is. I'd like to find out. It's certainly not going to sound 'bad' though!

[​IMG]
    how to capture screen

Tenson, Nov 15, 2013
  7. Tenson

felix part-time Horta

That's a sightly odd plot (the manufacturer's?); flat up to c.20w is deeply unlikely. And what's the bandwidth of the THD measurement..?

felix, Nov 15, 2013
  8. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Nov 16, 2013
  9. Tenson

Labarum

Labarum, Nov 16, 2013
Ask a Question