Symptoms of a Mis-aligned laser?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SimonConnell, Oct 21, 2003.

1. SimonConnell

SimonConnell

I've just recieved my long awaited DPA PDM2/Enlightenment combo from Germany, but all is not well :-(
    The DAC has a low-level hiss on the right hand channel, I've not yet got round to inestigating this, but I assume that since its hiss its got to be in the analogue section of the beast, yes?
    However, the transport is not a happy bunny! When I put a disc in, with 90% of discs it makes a very high pitched whine/hum as the disc spins up, and then either it'll read the TOC or the display comes up 'Err'. Then, when I try to play it'll try to do so, but fail, and read 'Err'.
    On the other 10% of discs it'll play, but skipping every few seconds to a random point a few seconds along.
    It's got a CDM-12 mechanism in it, my first thoughts are that its become misaligned in transit, but does this seem likely to anyone else, and if so are there way to sort it out at home or will it need an (expensive) trip to the Hi-Fi repair man? I brought it S/H from a German shop with 6 months warranty, so I should be convered, but they're saying they can't believe its damaged (We're all following Penance's example this month :-( )
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Simon

SimonConnell, Oct 21, 2003
  2. SimonConnell

Robbo

Simon,

It sounds like the transport has gone. bummer.

The guys at Chevin audio seem pretty au fait with dpa kit. I would get them to have a look. They might be able to suggest what is wrong and be able to effect a repair

http://www.chevinaudio.co.uk/

Robbo

Robbo, Oct 21, 2003
  3. SimonConnell

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Symptom of a misaligned laser? A burning sensation at the back of the eyeball - oh you were talking about CD players - sorry, I can't help.

SteveC, Oct 22, 2003
Ask a Question