System advice please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nicolap99, Aug 29, 2007.

1. nicolap99

nicolap99 Denis

Hi
    I'm thinking of making a change to my present system, and not being up to speed with the current state of electronics in hi fi I would appreciate some advice.

My current system is
    Rega Jupiter -cd player
    Rega Cursa - pre amp
    Rega Maia power amps x 2
    ProAc Response 1SC on Target R1 stands
    Isotek G11 Mini Sub mains conditioner

I'm thinking of a change in the amplification.
    Maybe a pair of Exons in place of the Maia's.

maybe a change in the amp area altogether different.

I listen to a wide variety of music from Joni Mitchell and West Coast CSN& Y etc to world music, and everything in between.

Room is small - new, modern house dimensions.

Couldn't part with the ProAc's at all.

Should I stay with pre and power or go for a class integrated amp.

Budget of £2000 in total.

I'm after a more controlled refined sound, I'm sure the ProAc's will deliver with better control.
    Tempted by the Exon's as I've always liked Rega stuff.

nicolap99, Aug 29, 2007
  2. nicolap99

Deaf Cat

Hiya,

At the Bristol show I had a chat with Rega (dissapointed they had nothing pluged in:( ) and thay were saying that two Exons were quite noticably better than two Maia's.. I have one Maia at the mo Love it :) aim to try the Exons when the cash is about, so would be interested to hear if you do demo them.

I did find the IC between pre and power makes a rather noticable difference too, maybe worth a play.

:)

Deaf Cat, Aug 29, 2007
  3. nicolap99

Stereo Mic

Dennis,

As someone who reguarly hears the Proacs at the factory, the 1sc is one of my favourite speakers of all time. It's just so well balanced - and it's no surprise that Stewart has still not been able to "upgrade" it despite many attempts.

I can also say that the Audio Research CA50 integrated works sublimely with 1sc's provided you don't want to fill an enormous room with high levels. Listening to similar music to you - I have to say the result in this case is far greater than the sum of the parts. Basically the two combined are capable of utterly world class vocals and midrange.

Robbo, who sometimes visits here was selling one recently for about £1,300. If nothing else you really should hear it. It is that good a combination. I think he also did some capacitor replacements on the 1sc;s that worked really well. It might be worthwhile dropping Stewart a line at Brackley too as he used this same amp in the voicing of the 1sc and has one at the factory.

Hope that helps.

Stereo Mic, Aug 29, 2007
  4. nicolap99

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i'll second the recommendation of the ar integrated with 1sc's robbo's system was amazingly good sounding. you might also try the mcintosh integrated or perhaps a valve / solid state hybrid from the likes of vincent or unison (although i've not heard these amps with the 1sc's - i use vincent hybrids and love them so i'll give them a plug).

julian2002, Aug 30, 2007
  5. nicolap99

zanash

what wires are you using ?

zanash, Aug 30, 2007
  6. nicolap99

mr cat Member of the month

I know the speakers work well with Krell...

mr cat, Aug 30, 2007
  7. nicolap99

dudywoxer Regaholic

there is a marked difference between 2 x maia's and 2 x exons, ( i have used both-still have the exons) more detail, and much more authority over the speakers and power to spare.

It may however be that the maia's can more then control the speakers, and that you can get the changes you want by using a valve pre.
    Although not a cable fanatic, I would also suggest that the 'loom' from cd, through pre to powers may have more influence than expected.
    ________
    E-Cigarette Store

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Aug 30, 2007
  8. nicolap99

nicolap99 Denis

Zanash
    I'm using Chord inter connects between the cd player, pre amp to power amps.

Campaign Audio speaker cables.

I'm in a bit of a quandary though.

Just listened to Eddie Reader cd, wow that was good.

I could be swayed to have a valve pre amp also, but that would mean having a long term plan to switch the maia's out for a single power amp in the future.

nicolap99, Aug 30, 2007
  9. nicolap99

dudywoxer Regaholic

Why, a valve pre may be all you need, having said that, if the one particular CD was wow good, where is your problem coming from?
    While the Cursa isn't the last word in detail, and is probably the weakest link in any Rega pre/power combo it is normally damm good at letting the music through. The involvement and excitement any way. I have chord I/C's and did have Chord speaker cable, I dumped the speaker cable a while back and went with some dirt cheap 4mm van damme stuff, probably the best cable upgrade in sound (down grade in cost) I have made with any cable, in fact I am considering getting some van damme cable I/C's to try.
    Just a passing thought, have you considered coming at the solution from the other end. I had a planet CDP, and although I tried the Jupiter, I bought the Planet, it has since gone, very briefly replaced by a Copland, (long story but the planet came out the cupboard and the Copland was sold), I now have a Saturn.. compared to the Jupiter and the planet just more of everything. A local Rega dealer should let you have a home dem.
    ________
    House Wives Live

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Aug 30, 2007
  10. nicolap99

nicolap99 Denis

Mid range and vocals were superb.

Don't listen to much driving rock these days, so its the subtle nuances and textures that interest me.
    I've had a few cd players in the past,(chose the Jupiter over the Planet) and although I haven't really been reading the magazines for a few years, I still see the core of my system being the Rega Jupiter and the ProAc's.

Either a valve integrated or a switch to a valve pre amp , and a later power amp to make it more refined.

nicolap99, Aug 30, 2007
  11. nicolap99

Stereo Mic

Listen to the CA50. It will make your Regas sound broken with the 1sc.

There's nothing wrong with your cables. There's rarely anything wrong with anyone's cables.

Stereo Mic, Aug 30, 2007
  12. nicolap99

Robbo

The 1SC and CA50 is a giant killing combination. You must hear it if nothing else. I'm only selling mine because I bought a Berning ZH270 as a punt and that is considerably more expensive than a CA50 goes for now.

Robbo, Aug 30, 2007
  13. nicolap99

nicolap99 Denis

Robbo
    I would be interested in hearing the CA50 with your 1SC's.

Would it be possible for me to visit for a demo?

nicolap99, Aug 30, 2007
  14. nicolap99

Robbo

Denis,

PM Sent.

Robbo, Aug 30, 2007
  15. nicolap99

RobHolt Moderator

Rega amps are perfectly good and never sound broken, unless they literally are broken.

You might prefer the presentation of a tube amp though.

Use whatever wires you have.

RobHolt, Aug 30, 2007
  16. nicolap99

Stereo Mic

You might well be surprised in this instance Rob. I would place the Regas alongside the Dpa's in many respects. The gulf between the AR and the Dpa's was enormous. It's possible that this would be reversed with different speakers, but I think all who have heard that comparison would agree.

Stereo Mic, Aug 31, 2007
  17. nicolap99

nicolap99 Denis

Must admit selling my amp set up and moving to a valve integrated was my initial plan. I'm just a little nervous about doing this as I don't understand electronics at all.

Is there any solid state amp, prefer an integrated line level, that would give me a change from the Regas.

One dealer I spoke to on the phone suggested I should keep the amps and change the cd player, but this is a little curious, I've heard the Jupiter in a system way out of its league (in terms of other components costing a great deal more). This was one reason for opting for the Jupiter in the first place.

Should I be cautious about the valve option? do most people who switch over to a valve amp have these comfort pangs?

nicolap99, Sep 2, 2007
  18. nicolap99

joel Shaman of Signals

Where are the speakers' tweeters in relation to your ears when listening (ie above, below, level with)?
    It may be that your speakers are just a bit low off the ground...

joel, Sep 2, 2007
  19. nicolap99

early

I used to have a all Rega system , Planet/Brio/Alya , and loved it

Upgraded the Brio to a Mira 3 , better . then about 12 months ago I got the next bout of upgradeitus , and listened to the Cursa3/Maia3/exon combos ( then on SF Concertinos ) .

To my ears they continued the house sound , just giving more of everything as you went up the ladder .

Out of curiosity I bought a " cheap " valve amp of ebay (Icon Stereo 40) , thinking if I don't like it , I'll resell it and get the Cursa/Maia .

Still got the valve amp and have no intention of letting it go . It now sits with a Rega Saturn and Ruark Equinox , and ( as of yet ) never seems to get outclassed .

early, Sep 3, 2007
  20. nicolap99

nicolap99 Denis

Joel
    tweeters are slightly below ear level, not by much, but below.

I seem to be "listening" very intently now, the system really excels with acoustic female vocals in particular. Can sound a little tame on anything that wants to be a little more energetic though.

But I'm being very critical here.

Probably getting more confused by the minute.

nicolap99, Sep 3, 2007
Ask a Question