System Upgrade Advice Required

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DaveHiFi, Jul 19, 2006.

1. DaveHiFi

melorib Lowrider

I am getting a Linn Unidisk SC to feed my Cayin tube amplifier, less boxes, less cables... :rolleyes:

melorib, Jul 30, 2006
  2. DaveHiFi

kt66

why buy an Ittok ? it's an old arm, and you've no real idea if the bearing are worn or not - if they are you have to throw it in the bin! I doubt any decent Linn dealer would give you a warranty on it.
    Are you not going to get the LP 12 serviced?
    If you need a new arm and don't want to shell out for a Ekos/Aro/Haddcock then get a RB250 - if your Basik is good then keep it and get a service and Cirkus this will make as much improvement as an Ittok with no fear.

Do you know how to test a tonearm's bearings?

kt66, Aug 1, 2006
  3. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

Getting Armed

Thanks Kt66 and 9designs.
    Regarding the Ittok, It seems from your replies I could end up with a pig in a poke as I dont know how to test these. Would I be better with a new RB250 or 300 modded from new. Are they that good in comparison to a second hand itock lv3. I dont mind spending the cash but I dont wat to have to bin a duff arm.
    I also take on board the bearing upgrade and having rang some shops say most people stick with the upgrade.
    Regarding your suggestion for Kabers / Ninkas I will have a look round for these. What cables do you recommend, Linns own ?
    The AV5103 I have not hears much about so theres some work for me. I assume its a latest model if so I will take in the LK1 and LK280 to demo against.
    Thanks once again, any thoughts on the new rega arm would be appreciated.
    Dave

DaveHiFi, Aug 2, 2006
  4. DaveHiFi

9designs Linn Nut

For a used arm I would still ask around at Linn dealers, they may know the history, perhaps have sold it new, and know how to check it. Just looked at Cymbiosis in Leicester, they have the new type Akito, said to be better than an Ittok, £650 new, they have for £200 used. Peter (the owner) there is superb with LP12's he did mine years ago, not seen anyone I'd feel more confident in working on my deck.
    Not sure about Non Linn arms on an LP12, some say they never quite match... I've gone from Basik Plus > original Akito > Ittok3 > Ekos2.
    AV5103 is no longer made, but was the top Pre-amp, and is also a DD/DTS AV processor, in the new larger style case, ie not LK size. Simply put as a 2 channel pre it spanks a Kairn. Again Cymbiosis have one, at a crazy price, pay around £500 -700. They also have some Kabers, and Ninka should be on dem, but they are just being discontinued I believe.

There are a lot of changes there, the system would sound very different, be sure you know what your trying to improve and achieve.

9D

PS I have no connection to the shop, just I remember seeing some kit on the website, and past experience many years ago of excellent LP12 work. (Plus the Naim forum has high praise as well)

9designs, Aug 2, 2006
  5. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

Arm

thanks 9 designs, as im in Bradford its only a 2hr drive to the shop I will have a word with Peter
    Regards
    Dave

DaveHiFi, Aug 3, 2006
  6. DaveHiFi

melorib Lowrider

I got it last night, bigger improvement than I expected, sounds faster, less aggressive treble, very natural mids, and the image is the best I have had with DVDs, rich colours, 3D image... :D

melorib, Aug 4, 2006
Ask a Question