Systemdek IIX And IIX900

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by white-socks, Feb 19, 2009.

1. white-socks

white-socks

Pretty curios about these turntables that are no longer made now. But I see plenty of people saying how good the Systemdek IIX sounds. I will love to hear the IIX or the IIX900 one day, or maybe buy one that is in mint condition.

I still use my beloved Michell Syncro and I also have a Technics SL-150 MK2 turntable that has a nice cherry wooden base and SME plate that is made out of wood also. But we have never put an arm on the Technics, so we don't know how good this deck is?
    I am dying to hear the SL-150 MK2, but it's just been sitting around not being used, sometimes I just feel like selling it to someone that will use it often, rather then letting it look like an ornament.

Back to the subject, what is the difference between the IIX and the IIX900?

white-socks, Feb 19, 2009
  2. white-socks

markinuk

Hi,

The IIX is visually different, because it had a teardrop-shaped armboard made from MDF; the IIX/900 had a rectangular metal armboard.

Under the skin, the IIX/900 replaced the oil-pump bearing of the IIX (and Systemdek's earlier turntables), which had a spiral groove in the spindle running in a specially shaped bronze housing, with a simpler design featuring a plain spindle running in a bronze sleeve. This supposedly had tighter tolerances than the earlier version.

I believe the sub-platter also changed, from a reinforced plastic assembly to a disc of MDF, while the glass platter itself had a plastic spacer that fitted over the spindle, and filled the large hole in the middle; the earlier model's plastic sub-platter had a built-in collar that fitted into the hole. These changes may have preceded the evolution from IIX to IIX/900, though, as I have seen a IIX that had the MDF sub-platter.

There may have been other small changes of which I'm not aware. TBH, when I had a Systemdek it was the II, with a skeletal, circular metal plinth. Much of the 'running gear' of the IIX was based on this model, however.

Mark

markinuk, Feb 20, 2009
  3. white-socks

Papa Lazarou

The Systemdeks are a great buy at current market prices.
    The Heybrook TT2, Pink Triangle LPT and Voyd Valdi are other alternatives worth considering.

I replaced a high-spec Gyrodec (Full Pedersen mods/HR PSU/SME V) with a Voyd Valdi (at a fraction of the cost) and it sounds superb to my ears.

Papa Lazarou, Feb 20, 2009
Ask a Question