T/T advisers - advice again please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by muffinman, Apr 1, 2004.

1. muffinman

muffinman

thanks for all the advice you have given me ref. the upgrade path for my gyro se (ORBE PLATTER AND HR PSU).

as you know these improvements will cost 'around' £600.
    i have sourced a number of s/h orbe se' with the dc motor and orbe controller at the £1200-1350 mark(rrp£2k). mint condition of course.

my initial budget is £720,
    so i can get the upgrades and leave myself a few quid spare or sell my gyrose for at least £630 (i can borrow from the savings for this btw)and 'not need to upgrade later'(YEAH RIGHT!)

come on guys, you have been a fountain of knowledge over the last few days and i need your help again.

which route do you suggest i take?

muffinman, Apr 1, 2004
  2. muffinman

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

So either route will cost about the same and you could either have:

Gyro SE with upgarded Orbe platter, DC motor and HR PSU
    or
    Orbe with DC Motor and Orbe Controller

Presumably you need to know which is best - What do Michell's say? They are pretty straight and can be trusted.

Uncle Ants, Apr 1, 2004
  3. muffinman

sideshowbob Trisha

The Orbe PSU has even better speed regulation than the Gyro PSU, allegedly, and is not retro-fittable to the Gyro. It also gives 33/45 speed control electronically rather than requiring you to move the belt (not a big deal on the Gyro, of course, since you don't have to remove the platter to do this). Also, the Orbe has a better suspension.

My understanding, and experience, is that the PSU and platter upgrades to the Gyro get you pretty close to an Orbe, but not quite the same thing (some people call them "Gorbes" for this reason!) If you can sell the Gyro as is and get a s/h Orbe for a similar price to the Gyro upgrades, that would probably be a good move. It's what I'd do, I think.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Apr 1, 2004
  4. muffinman

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

IIRC the difference is that the 'real' Orbe has the aluminium chassis internally damped in some way.

Tony.

TonyL, Apr 1, 2004
Ask a Question