Tact/Lyngdorf SDA 2175 burn in time (used model)?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jaspal kallar, Jul 5, 2011.

1. jaspal kallar

jaspal kallar

Hi

I recently bought a used Tact SDA 2175 power amp. I think it hasn't been used in a while.

I wondered then if any Tact/Lyngdorf SDA 2175 power amp owners knew how long it takes to properly burn in?

I asked in the Tact Yahoo forum and someone quoted me a figure of only 4 hours plus left on overnight for the burn in process to be complete, something I thought was a tad low.

Cheers!

jaspal kallar, Jul 5, 2011
  2. jaspal kallar

Tenson Moderator

Amps don't usually need to burn in, certainly solid state ones shouldn't. 30 minutes should be enough.

Is there something specific you think seems amiss?

Tenson, Jul 5, 2011
  3. jaspal kallar

jaspal kallar

Nothing really is amiss, just wondering if things will get better a bit more clearer in the midrange (voices). Previously I had used a Trends Audio TA 10.1 as power amp and felt the midrange (voices) was a tad more "real/lifelike" compared to (so far) the Tact SDA 2175 but otherwise the Tact SDA 2175 is so much better.

I read, perhaps even on this forum, some people stating their Tact/Lyngdorf amps took up to 2 months to properly burn-in but I think they were new units. Hence it got me thinking about the time for burn-in.

jaspal kallar, Jul 6, 2011
  4. jaspal kallar

Tenson Moderator

Can you go back to your other amp to compare directly? I often find these sort of differences are in fact just niggling doubts that disappear when you compare directly ;)

Tenson, Jul 6, 2011
  5. jaspal kallar

RobHolt Moderator

That's the trouble with the internet.
    20% useful info and 80% complete rot.

As Simon has said, some amps take a little time to reach optimum from switch on. The distortion drops and then plateaus but this takes minutes not hours. Others are fine within seconds.

Weeks and months for amplifier burn in has no foundation whatsoever.

RobHolt, Jul 6, 2011
  6. jaspal kallar

jaspal kallar

I did try the old amp.

Edit: just tried again the old (Trends TA 10.1) and new amp (SDA 2175) and it seems the Trends amp generally projects the voices a little more into the room whilst the SDA 2175 seems to be recessed.

Okay now that I know the burn is complete and unless any Lyngdorf amp owners step forward I consider the matter closed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011
    jaspal kallar, Jul 6, 2011
Ask a Question