Tact VS. Bel Canto

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Darren, Oct 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darren

Darren

Hi guys,

Following a brief and not very nice foray into naim land ( the only person who liked it was the wife because it was "neat") I am back with real hifi.

My 'new' wadia 830 (thanks to John at audio reflections for a great deal and thanks to WM for the suggestion and help with haggling) needs a power amp buddy.

I was hoping to obtain a 'digital' amp in the bel Canto Evo 200.2 stylee. I have however noticed the SDA2175 Semi Digital Power Amplifier (£775) on the Tact UK website. The 'semi' bit appears to refer to the fact that the amp lacks a digital input as per Tact's larger efforts. Spec appears to mirror the Bel Canto at a bargain price.

Has anyone had any experience with this product/range/ are they any good?

Best

Darren

Darren, Oct 18, 2005
  2. Darren

penance Arrogant Cock

I tried a SDA2175 and now have a bel canto evo4.

I really didnt like the sda, was liveless to my ears.

penance, Oct 18, 2005
  3. Darren

Mr_Sukebe

I've only heard the bigger Tacts, so can't comment directly on the SDA unit. I found the bigger ones to be amazing at "hi-fi", but pretty poor at music.

I liked the Belcanto style of presentation so much that I bought one. Seems like a reasonable recommendation to me.

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Darren

GaryG

The age old advice applies, you need to hear them both and make you own judgement, however, that said, I would suggest the eVo route to be the best option as it offers the best upgrade path for the future. Start off with a single 200.2 in stereo mode, when funds are available buy another 200.2 and use them in bridged mode as a pair of monoblocs. As more funds become available get a power conditioner, leads etc and then get wm to turbocharge the eVo's, you'll be amazed at how good they can be.

Regards
    Gary

GaryG, Oct 18, 2005
  5. Darren

Ya-Boo

Hi,
    I,ve had the SDA at home,IMO is not in the same ballpark as the Tact 2150 which I,ve been using with the 2.2x for a while,

search out a Tact 2150 if possible have a listen, huge bang for the buck and blows the SDa away
    BTW
    If you really want a Belcanto Evo4 mine is still available

I still think the Evo4 is a very good amp at around the £2Kmark shame they were overpriced when new.

Ya-Boo, Oct 18, 2005
  6. Darren

Darren

Can I thank everyone for their kind help.... and also add that you've put me right off the Tact thing.... it's back to the drawing board for me!!

Darren

Darren, Oct 18, 2005
  7. Darren

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

I have the TacT sdai2175, and also had the Bel Canto Evo2i on demo for a couple of weeks. I was ready to move 'up' to the Bel Canto but actually I found I preferred the TacT. The bel Canto was just too polite and restrained for my liking, and didn't project the music into the room or do timbre like the Tact does. Sure the Tact is rawer and less refined though, and bright or aggressive sounding speakers are not going to get along with it.

I have also tried the Tact TDA2200 at home, its a pure digital amp, but didn't like it as sounded totally lifeless and dull. But I didn't use any of the digital EQ on it and probably this needs to be done to get the sound you like out of it.

Lastly, I borrowed a Bel Canto Evo4 from a friend (Ditton on this forum) and tried it with the tact sdai as a pre-amp. This worked rather well.... I suspect the Bel Canto Evo4 with a good dedicated pre-amp might be very good, if you've got the money.

alanbeeb, Oct 18, 2005
  8. Darren

GaryG

I agree, a standard eVo 4 is a bit polite. I sold mine fairly quickly after buying it, however, with power conditioning and trick power leads it perks up very well, with the bonus that later down the line it will respond very well to modifications if done by the right person. A pair of eVo 2's or 200.2's are better still when used as monoblocs.

Regards
    Gary

GaryG, Oct 18, 2005
  9. Darren

Garmt

You should also listen to NuForce... Any experience with these amps already? They are supposed to be very, very good....

Garmt, Oct 18, 2005
  10. Darren

Shuggie

I have recently tried both the TacT SDAi2175 integrated amp and then the SDA2175 power amp. I did not get on particularly well with the integrated amp, but the SDA2175 was hugely musical and I did not stop listening all the time that I had it. I have no experience whatsoever of other TacT amps, nor Bel Canto, but I can hand on heart state that the SDA2175 is one of the best amps that I have ever used. And that's before considering its measly price.

I am used to relatively high-end valve amplification and consequently I do not easily tolerate anything without very good microdynamics, fine detail, good drive and a liquid overall sound. I do not consider warmth as a desirable valve characteristic, as such. Believe me, in my system the SDA2175 was as good as my valve amps, and if there was a deficit, I was enjoying the music so much that I just did not care. It does, however need a good preamp.

These observations relate to my own system, of course, but I did not expect to be wowed by the SDA2175. How wrong I was.

Cheers

S

Shuggie, Oct 18, 2005
  11. Darren

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Yes had the nu-force 9's, not too bad, a lot of internet hype though, smooth open powerful, They lasted 2 weeks at Chez Wm, so not bad.
    Worth a go, though not that involving IMO

wadia-miester, Oct 18, 2005
  12. Darren

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Shuggie - what pre-amp did you use with the Tact SDA?

alanbeeb, Oct 18, 2005
  13. Darren

cab586

i've tried 3 bel cantos and 3 tact amps. i now have a bel canto, which IMO is a far more musical machine than the tacts.

cab586, Oct 18, 2005
  14. Darren

andybillet

You should give the TacT (Now called Lyngdorf SDAi2175) a go. I heard a well run in one the other day and it was awesome. I have also heard the BC and yes it's a great amp. IMHO the SDAi is better, but it's all about how you like your music presented. Try a few different cables and power cords with it. You will be surprised.

Mine is shipping as we type.

andybillet, Oct 18, 2005
  15. Darren

Stereo Mic

The Tact is really good value for money. I know of people who really do like it's presentation and use it in £10K systems.

I'm not sure the Bel Canto is better or worse, just slightly different. Softer if you like, but certainly not valve like IME.

Stereo Mic, Oct 18, 2005
  16. Darren

Shuggie

I used my home built passive control unit (ground switching elma selector, panasonic pot, silver Kimber cable, Kimber socketry). That was the only problem, as the SDA2175 needs a preamp with gain. Good recordings made without much compression were a bit lost in terms of volume and scale, but the sound was still magical. I'm investigating a Rozenblit Grounded Grid preamp, before I decide to buy the TacT. I do like valves, but I'm tired of the hassle and expense of replacing power tubes (not to mention the safety issues) - valve preamps suffer none of these drawbacks, so I think the GG preamp may be a good match. I am aware of one person who already has the GG and is soon to audition the SDA2175, and I await his impressions with interest.

Cheers

S

Shuggie, Oct 18, 2005
  17. Darren

penance Arrogant Cock

I would agree with that.
    In my not so big room the Tact was just too in your face.
    Yes the BC is softer, as you say tho it is not really valve like.

penance, Oct 18, 2005
  18. Darren

Garmt

:cool:

I heard one example of the NuForce with a Meridian G08 source and B&W N805 speakers and was more impressed with an Accuphase 213 driving the 805s instead... It was simply easier on the ear and more involving.

Garmt, Oct 18, 2005
  19. Darren

gregf

I just bought a pair of Nuforce Ref 8 balanced monoblocks for less than half the retail price, they should be here by the weekend and they come with a month trial period!!
    I understand they are the latest 8.01 revision that addresses most of the issues with grainy highs. The rest of my system is a TEAC VRDS10 with superclock3 used as transport into a fully baalanced DAX Decade and Vienna Acoustic Malher speakers. I will let you know how I get on with the Nuforce.

gregf, Oct 18, 2005
  20. Darren

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Im considering selling my mint bel canto evo2i - offers entertained - PM if interested:)

lAmBoY, Oct 18, 2005
Ask a Question