Taken The Right Steps?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mark67, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Mark67

Mark67

I have recently taken advantage of the Tagmclaren refurbishment sale.
    I have got my hands on the AV32r, PL2, HDCD, MPEG, DTS. Should be here this week. (Hence my sale of the fabulous Tag DPA32r Pre/Dac).

I was wondering what your opinions where on this move. (I couldn't get to audition an AV32r, no dealers around me). Does it make the grade with music as well as Movies? I have read a few reviews , but taken them with a pinch of salt. I will be running the Rears and the Centre speakers with a Rotel RB-976 Power Amp. Fronts = Belcanto Power Amp.
    Have I improved my movie experience at the expense of my music?

Cheers.

Mark67, Sep 29, 2003
  2. Mark67

Matt F

I don't think you will be disappointed Mark. The first thing I did when I got my AV32R (having upgraded from a Rotel RSP966 processor) was spend the first few days just listening in stereo because it sounded so good to me, especially as (in my case) using the AV32R's DACs turned my Rotel DVD player into a seriously good CD player.

How it compares in stereo to the DPA32R I don't know but I would expect them to be pretty similar. I guess you can also upgrade to the 192kHz DACs at a later stage to improve things further.

For movies, you're going to get a massive improvement (so much so that I'd say if you lose a couple of percent in stereo it will be worth it for the movie gains). One thing to note though is that the Tag is a natural sounding processor with movies compared to the cheap AV amps/processors so it may take a while before you appreciate what it is doing.

What centre speaker are you running with by the way?

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 29, 2003
  3. Mark67

Mark67

I am using a Mission 75c. A long time ago when I set up my fist AV system I had all mission speakers. Much has changed since then, except the center speaker. It was a good 'un back then and still is I suppose.

The 192Khz Dac is a must when I can afford, I am not sure, but It may alraedy be fitted in the AV32r. It's DOB is 2000.

Mark67, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Mark67

michaelab desafinado

The AV32R was often unfairly tainted for being an "AV" product but it's DACs are better than the DAC20 and that's still highly regarded by many as a bona fide stereo hifi product.

I've heard the AV32R in lowrider's system several times (before he ditched it and switched to Krell) and it was seriously good. I don't think you'll be disappointed :)

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 29, 2003
  5. Mark67

Mark67

Thanks for the reply michaelab.
    So far good reviews.
    I don't have DVD, So I'll be using good old VHS for the time being.
    I have got the last Panasonic SVHS that they made. I know DVD is far better than VHS. But a DVD will have to wait for now.

Mark67, Sep 29, 2003
  6. Mark67

Matt F

:eek: you're about to get one of the finest processors around and you don't have a DVD player and therefore no DD/DTS digital feed for it?

Get one quickly, even if it's only an £80 Toshiba SD330E.

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 29, 2003
  7. Mark67

Mark67

I don't really buy films, I used to have sky until I lost my job. So I mainly watch films on TV or video them for later. Will I get an improvement in that area? Surly there must be an improvment when I play my THX approved Pre-Recorded films on video :confused: .

Mark67, Sep 29, 2003
  8. Mark67

julian2002 Muper Soderator

mark,
    if the tag has pro-logic 2 you'll notice a difference. as for dvd yes it's better but building a library is a costly business although rental dvd's are pretty much the norm now.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 29, 2003
Ask a Question