Tall speaker stands?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Nov 20, 2009.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

As much as I love my 9.1s I think my speaker stands are letting them down, they are home made and a bit wobbly. Would any sub £100 100cm tall ones be beter?

amazingtrade, Nov 20, 2009
  2. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

What do you want to get from the speakers? I think a lot of the change in sound from stands is due to the shape of them, not how super steady they are or if they have spikes or whatever. Although clearly you don't want a big resonating panel.

A stand with a big solid area on the front will effectively extend the speakers baffle and boost the lower mid giving a more meaty full sound. An open frame stand will give a thinner faster sound by not boosting the lower mid-band.

I don't think any 1m tall stand will be very stable, especially if your floor is like mine; thickly carpeted and not that flat anyway!

Edited to add, a stack of breeze-blocks can be pretty stable and make a superb stand, but I hope your floor is strong!!

Tenson, Nov 20, 2009
  3. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Well my 70kg HIFI shelf I built has not made the floor in but blocks may look a big ugly.

The problem at the moment is my DIY stands wobble like mad, I suppose I could make them shorter by cutting the rods but then the tweeters won't be at ear position.

My speakers Wharfedale 9.1s have a very very sweet sound, the tweeters do all the singing and the bass is extremely tight and accurate I could just do with a tad extension without affecting the rest of the sound.

amazingtrade, Nov 20, 2009
Ask a Question