Tannoy Convert

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Chris Davies, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Chris Davies

Chris Davies

Hi all my Tannoy Berkeley speakers turned up today with 15" HPD's

Very nice sound indeed I was a tad worried given the sound of my previous speakers. I would like to take the dust caps off but am worried about damage any advice ?

Chris Davies, Oct 20, 2010
  2. Chris Davies

bigdur

Yes, don't bother you wont get any improved performance and will slaughter their resale value.

bigdur, Oct 20, 2010
  3. Chris Davies

Jimbo

Why was you worried about your other speakers sound, and what were they?

Jimbo, Oct 20, 2010
  4. Chris Davies

nando nando

chris , call me or speedie , glad you got them, welcome to the members club.

nando, Oct 20, 2010
  5. Chris Davies

Chris Davies

I did like my other speakers alot so was worried about the outlay on Tannoys - Monitor Audio RS6

Cheers Nando :)

Chris Davies, Oct 20, 2010
  6. Chris Davies

Dev Moderator

Hi Chris, welcome to the Tannoy DC fan club. As others will say, don't remove the dust covers, just enjoy the speakers.

Dev, Oct 20, 2010
  7. Chris Davies

la toilette Downright stupid

I played around with dustcaps when I repaired the surrounds on some 12" HPD's a few years back - started off with the original ones, then with none at all, then tried the later plastic more open mesh type found on LRM/SRM's.

My conclusion? Didn't make any difference at all that I could discern - or that I could at least be sure of.

Also, it's very difficult to remove them without causing a tiny bit of damage, or at least leaving a fair amount of the old glue on the cone (which looks nasty) - which is why I eventually put some back on again in all honesty - covered it all up again!

Leave 'em be.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2010
    la toilette, Oct 21, 2010
  8. Chris Davies

Chris Davies

Chris Davies, Oct 21, 2010
  9. Chris Davies

Dev Moderator

Dev, Oct 21, 2010
  10. Chris Davies

la toilette Downright stupid

But have you heard Tannoys in cabs as large as the ones in that first link Dev?

I heard some 12" Golds in a VERY large pair of diy bass reflex cabs (must've been 250L+) and they sounded immense, so I wouldn't discount all non-horn loaded cabs as bass reflex still seems to be a popular option for most.

That said, I think rect GRF's look great and aren't too huge, so I'd still like to try some scaled down versions for my 12"-ers one day.

la toilette, Oct 21, 2010
  11. Chris Davies

Dev Moderator

No I haven't Dave, but I couldn't imagine them being bettered, but of course it's only an opinion and I could be wrong. Also I think Steve's cabinets look better.

P.S. what does scaled down mean? :D.

Dev, Oct 21, 2010
  12. Chris Davies

speedy.steve

Interesting to hear another journey - forward to the past (when it comes to speakers):)

I had Monitor Audio Silver 9 I's that were bettered by ProAc D25's by some margin.
    Then came the Berkeley's MKII's with 3828's and I preferred these overall to the ProAc's by some margin.
    Then I built my first GRF cabs and true to most of what is written about them - another significant improvement.
    Can't comment on other big cabs but have heard Ardens and they sounded like big Berkeleys more bass but still fat in one bass frequency.
    The GRF back loaded horn seems to get over the problems of a ported cab and offer a texture and detail of mid and lower bass that many speakers just don't do.
    Most recent comparisons I have made was hearing for a 2nd time some Avantgarde Duo's. Have 2 x twin driver bass subs and by the owners own admission the GRF's do something very right in that region! The rest of the Tannoy sound is pretty darn good too!

Horns are the future:)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2010
    speedy.steve, Oct 22, 2010
  13. Chris Davies

nando nando

when ever you find yourself in the london area you are welcome to listen to mine,
    nando.

nando, Oct 22, 2010
  14. Chris Davies

Jimbo

Your quite welcome to listen to my 12" Monitor Golds in the Onken cabs. Not sure how far it is from Nottingham to "Living in Fear". jim.

Jimbo, Oct 23, 2010
Ask a Question