Tannoy Revolution R2

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr cat, Sep 16, 2004.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2004
    mr cat, Sep 16, 2004
  2. mr cat

Lefty

Hey Mr Cat,

I have the next model up, the Tannoy Revolution R3's which I find are great speakers when partnered with the right equipment.

I see in your sig that you have a NAD c350. I had one of these and found that when partnered with the Tannoys and fronted by a Marantz CD6000KI, the sound was a little too smooth and restrained. However, when I changed the amp for a Marantz PM 6010KI........magic!!! Apparently the Tannoy's were designed with more than a little help from Ken Ishiwata so they should go well with the Marantz kit!

Anyway, hope this helps,

Lefty :)

Lefty, Sep 16, 2004
  3. mr cat

analoguekid Planet Rush

Would second tha had the R3's for a while with MF kit, not too exciting, shall we say, they need something with a little zing, but they are a bargain at the mo you can get the R3's for around £300 if yer interested.

analoguekid, Sep 16, 2004
  4. mr cat

Dev Moderator

I'll echo Lefty and AK's comments. IME the Rs go well with Marantz. I didn't like them as much when partnered with NAD I'm afraid.

Dev, Sep 16, 2004
  5. mr cat

PeteH Natural Blue

The Tannoys are great IMO, and I know several people who were convinced enough themselves to buy them. AFAICT though the Symphonys you've got are reasonable budget floorstanders in themselves, so the Revolutions mightn't actually be all that much of a revolution - maybe you ought to aim slightly higher?

PeteH, Sep 16, 2004
  6. mr cat

yeah, thanks for your advice guys...
    as mentioned elsewhere - I'm after upgrading all my speakers at some point...but if I see a decent sub going cheap I may just buy that instead... !

mr cat, Sep 17, 2004
  7. mr cat

Zoomer

i just got a pair of tannoys not this model but still i like them loads, and i got them from the same place although they did phone up and say i coundt have the colour i wanted, but tbh its the sound that matters :D.

thinking about it i should of probably paid the extra for those, ohwell its too late now.

Zoomer, Sep 17, 2004
  8. mr cat

mr cat, Sep 17, 2004
  9. mr cat

lordsummit moderate mod

You may have had a lucky escape, the tweeter ain't right, it should be black with a gold ring around. It looks like someones been messing.

lordsummit, Sep 17, 2004
  10. mr cat

Rory satisfied

the R2s and R3s were tuned by Ken Ishiwata whilst he was doing the PM66ki and CD63ki (the latter one of Marantz's all time classic products imo)

Rory, Sep 17, 2004
  11. mr cat

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

I dont have the r3's but sensy DC1's and they sound superb with my marantz kit :D I love the Tannoy sound, heard a few models-from MX2 to TD12 :cool: The latter were so REAL that they didnt sound like speakers at all :eek: look absolutely stunning too.

Ive never heard the eltax symphonies but i personally dont think eltax are that great IMHO i used to have a pair of monitor 5s and they were comfortably beaten by some mission m73's which arent that gr8 either so im guessing the R3's will offer a much more mature and refined sound. The c350 might not be an ideal partner for them tho as other peeps have explained above.

Ultra

Ultrasonic, Sep 17, 2004
  12. mr cat

thanks guy for your input - I've just been talking to this guy regarding some Kef Q4, dark Apple colour...he's selling them for 200 quid - brand new condition too, with only an hours use..!

mr cat, Sep 20, 2004
  13. mr cat

Lt Cdr Data om

KI has done some great stuff for hifi.

I am not quite sure if he is a genius, though. Clever yes, fashion sense :eek:

I had both the ki63, pm66ki, 6000kicd and 6010ki amp.

If he tunes to his own personal taste, its odd, as the 63 is more dynamic and exciting than the 6000, which is very smooth, full bodied.

The 66ki amp is also similarly different to the 6010, which does sound great on its own, but in comparison does like the hifi choice review says, sound rather oddly balanced. Its not quite right, impressive, yes but weird.

So either KI's ears have changed, or he just sticks his favourite silmics caps. in and hopes for the best.

Don't be TOO taken in by the marketing, its not an exact science, like a football pundit, we all know the right things to do/say.

Lt Cdr Data, Sep 20, 2004
  14. mr cat

just a quic update here - I've popped a cheque in the post for the Q4's...

mr cat, Sep 20, 2004
  15. mr cat

these arrived this morning - whoo hoo!

will have a play with them tonite... :D

mr cat, Sep 23, 2004
  16. mr cat

how long will it take for them to burn in..??

they've only had about an hours use...

cheers!

mr cat, Sep 23, 2004
  17. mr cat

penance Arrogant Cock

I would expect at least a few weeks.

penance, Sep 23, 2004
  18. mr cat

lordsummit moderate mod

The Kefs I have didn't really seem to change much, what you here out of the box doesn't really alter, a few weeks of good use will open them out especially in the mid. I had to change a tweeter on mine, and you would have been hard pressed to tell the difference between the run in one and the non run in one.
    They are great speakers though for their money. It took a pair of Meadowlarks to want rid of mine, now if you want running in.....................

lordsummit, Sep 23, 2004
  19. mr cat

Yeah, I was listening to them last night - boy, they're great...tho, there is a lack of bass compared to my Eltax's, but the sound is so open and detailed....
    so, they aren't really amazing for dance music, but for slower music they exel.

mr cat, Sep 24, 2004
Ask a Question