Target TT shelf question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by pixies, Jul 1, 2008.

1. pixies

pixies a menace to society

I am now the proud owner of an Ace space deck, arm and Dynavector DV20X.
    My Target wall shell would have taken 20 Planar 3's but I'm a bit worried about adding one NAS deck. The Target site shows newer VW shelves and rates them at 20Kg while many adds state it will take 40Kg. The eight 1 3/4" screws may need replacing with bolts but I still have butterflies in my stomach.
    Any one help or send a good helping of liver salts?

pixies, Jul 1, 2008
  2. pixies

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

It wiil be fine - just use longer screws. You would be astonished to find how strongly eight screws fix something to the wall.

YNMOAN, Jul 1, 2008
  3. pixies

not really, i've done time!:JPS:

cheers

pixies, Jul 1, 2008
  4. pixies

D Louth 77

Hi Pixies

See my comments in the thread about a ,turntable shelf advice scott1 ,but i would not use screws alone . I would and have done myself used wall expansion bolts . You ,need to pick a masonary drill to match size of bolts ,and you also need to buy slot or star headed bolts to match thread of wall expansion bolt sleeve. The holes in the target wall shelf are to small to take the head of the bolts that normally come with the sleeves so what you pick must go through these holes and you tighten with a suitable screw driver . I would go for the biggest size of bolts who's head will fit into the wall shelf.

I have used to target wall shelves this way with a number of very heavy turntables and granite shelves too ,with no problems at all.
    Some may think this is over kill but rather that ,than a crash in the night .

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Jul 1, 2008
  5. pixies

cooky1257

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

cooky1257, Jul 1, 2008
  6. pixies

i'd dare not get out of bed...ever......

pixies, Jul 1, 2008
  7. pixies

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

It all depends on your DIY skills - some people are incapable of drilling the correct sized hole, using the correct sized wall plug and using the correct screw; I know this sounds unlikely but it is true.

It also depends on the construction/quality of the wall.

YNMOAN, Jul 1, 2008
  8. pixies

Arfa

You want to use some sort of rawl/butterfly bolt. The biggest limiting factor is the size of the holes in the frame, both for the bolt and the hole for poking your screwdriver through. You could stick a washer around the bolt, so the bold head grips a larger area of frame, spreading the stress.
    When I put mine up, I came unstuck due to thickness of plaster, normal metal rawl bolts were no good, as you tightened them, the butterfly comes forward and wasn't far enough in the wall to grip brick. Longer ones were too thick to put through frame. In B&Q they had some really long bolts which came with big plastic rawl plugs on them that butterflied out as you tighten them. Got some about 12cm long in end, larger ones were to thick. Rather than screwing them, they had a bolt so used a screw wretch type tool. Less chance of wearing down a screw head then.
    Make sure the hole is adequate, to tight and screwing the bolts gets too tough and you risk shearing them. Too large and the bolt just won't grip.
    You could always drill some extra holes in the frame and add some more bolts...

Arfa, Jul 1, 2008
  9. pixies

lbr monkey boy

Toggler wall fixings are superb - much better than normal rawl plugs (easier to fix, more forgiving of poor drilling and more secure). You won't get them from B&Q, but I think Screwfix supply them.

lbr, Jul 1, 2008
  10. pixies

kmac

Not to mention the quality of the drill. A cheapo Black and Decker drill will struggle in old fashioned (read 60 years old or more) external walls. Need a proper Bosch Proff, DeWalt, Makita etc SDS plus hammer drill or similar to make a clean hole of the correct size.

kmac, Jul 1, 2008
  11. pixies

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Very true - my SDS goes through almost anything like a knife through butter.

YNMOAN, Jul 1, 2008
  12. pixies

Rocker

There is a chemical cement product on the market [cannot think of its name right now, will have it tomorrow] that will secure a bolt in a wall. Drill a hole 90 mm deep, squirt the mix using the supplied mixer tool, push in the bolt, position it and it will be cured in a few minutes. I believe it is absolutely safe in an hour or two, best leave it overnight.

This is the way that my finite elemente Pagode wall shelf is secured to the wall. The fixing kit was supplied with it.

Rocker, Jul 1, 2008
  13. pixies

Coda II getting there slowly

My target shelf only has four holes. I used four 8 x 32 mm Rawlplugs with screws to fit. This into limeplaster (about 25mm) over stone.
    On top is an inch of veneered mdf (replacing the thin target shelf) and a spacedeck (without it's plinth).
    It hadn't moved last time I looked (which was just after I read this thread but before posting).

Coda II, Jul 1, 2008
  14. pixies

Finally mounted! Six 12mm wall expansion bolts with two washers on the outside of the frame. If anything, it's the rack that looks the weak part; some of the box sections are only welded on one side. Any nice table suggestions? - saw a Mana on ebay a while ago...

pixies, Jul 3, 2008
  15. pixies

D Louth 77

Hi pixies

The wall expansion bolts should be on the inside of the shelf not the outside . Your right to be worried as tightening these on to the box section could damage it . Take one bolt out and go and buy same size (thread) and get 6 cross headed or slot headed bolts that will fit inside the box section of the shelf .You should be able to do that as that is how i have done it . The washers i mentioned were for using on the wall side of the shelf ,just in case the wall is not level. The washers give you the ability to make the shelf frame level on the wall,and gives you a better surface to tighten on to. None of the walls in my house are level ,old Edwardian house.

If you do this ,then your shelf will last for years and sound great. Are there better wall shelves out there . Yes lots but none as cheap or good as the Target was . It also worth remembering when Target brought the TT out there was little or no other choice out there . You can use all sorts of additional tweaks with this wall shelf . Granite or slate inserts ,combinations of materials ,it is quite flexable and sturdy,within reason.

I used to use a Mana ref table ,and it was quite good under my Marantz cd94 ,but they don't suit every piece of gear (Linn,Naim were the things these were used with originally). I have however no experience with the wall shelf .

pixies i have had granite and slate shelves and both an Oracle Delphi turntable which is much heavier than your Notingham(i think)and an Sme model 20 on Target TT wall shelves ,with no mishaps for as long as i have been into HI-Fi which is since 1989. No wall shelf bending or any other problems ,except a spike bushing coming loose once.

Regards D Louth.

D Louth 77, Jul 4, 2008
Ask a Question