TEAC VRDS 10 - broken - opinions please....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SMEagol, Apr 13, 2008.

1. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Hi all...

Won a VRDS 10 on ebay in "excellent condition" however, its won't play discs...

Just opened her up to see what the mechanism does when I insert a disc.

Looks immaculate inside.

Found a clump of mangled white plastic that used to be the transit screw and removed it.

Drawer opens okay, loads disc, display doesn't change drive initially lifts disc and doesn't spin.

Press play it just retracts internally and drops disc. No sign of it spinning at all.

In your venerable opinions, could this fault have occurred in transit or is it something like a servo board... Thanks chaps...

It was immaculately packed, so I'm confused. I was a little narked yesterday when I wrote this, so felt more research was required before I unfairly lay the blame with the seller. It turns out they are very susceptible to impact from below or a knock on the drawer. The package can look fine, mine looked mint, but this model can still be easily damaged with sudden thumps, despite its chunky build. - bugger.

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
    SMEagol, Apr 13, 2008
  2. SMEagol

zanash

The notorious vrds ! outstanding when working .....

contact mr sukebe ...he went through some thing not dissimilar ...he may have some advice ...

from you description it sounds as if the disc is not being read ...check for loose cables .

but I'm no expert on this unit and don't have a service manual for in my collection so can't offer any other sage advice.

zanash, Apr 13, 2008
  3. SMEagol

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

At least TEAC still make the transport, which cannot be said for many, many other CDP manufacturers....

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 14, 2008
  4. SMEagol

Bourney

my mate has one of these that is a bit hit and miss with discs, is it worth having repaired cost wise?

Bourney, Apr 14, 2008
  5. SMEagol

LWO

I have owned a VRDS 7, VRDS T1 and am currently the proud owner of a P30.

No expert myself but over a decade of life with these machines would suggest -:

a) Having another look just to check that all of the locking mechanism has been removed and that there is nothing impeding the movement of the sled that houses the laser. An obvious statement I know but worth checking again.
    b) When the clamping mechanism engages / disengages it should make a light “clunk”. If it doesn’t then possibly the gears that drive the clamp could be misaligned or worn.
    c) There are a couple of sensors that monitor that the above has happened before allowing the disc to spin up, if they’ve become misaligned / stopped working that could contribute to the problem you’re experiencing.

I’ve been told / read that the electronics in these machines are pretty bullet proof (lasers excluded), they only get screwy when they've been modded or tampered with.
    As said earlier all of the above is serviceable, NSS Ltd 020 8893 5835 are the UK service agents. Could be worth giving them a shout if all else fails.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
    LWO, Apr 14, 2008
  6. SMEagol

Bourney

how much would a new laser be do you think? assuming that having slight reading problems is a laser problem.

Bourney, Apr 14, 2008
  7. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

it is a cracking transport. If you want a taste of Wadia's system but have shallow pockets (like me) its a worthy root to budget high end with an external DAC. So, yes. I'll get mine fixed.

Thanks for the help, I just wish I was a little more technical... It could well be the sensor thing as all the other bits work. Theres a pause before it drops the disk again so maybe its waiting for the sensors to say go for it, and thats not happening.

Is this something I could do?

SMEagol, Apr 14, 2008
  8. SMEagol

LWO

I've had a laser replaced on the P30 but can't for the life of me remember how much it cost, possibly less than £100.

The sensors I believe are micro contact switches (I suppose that doesn't make them a sensor !) , they were pointed out to me when the lid was off but as I'm not technical either I wouldn't want to go poking around, was just glad it was up and running again.

I agree, fantastic transports and you should enjoy when it's up and running.

LWO, Apr 14, 2008
Ask a Question