TEAC VRDS problems...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Will, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Will

Will The Lucky One

I recently managed to pick up an ex-demo/ex-service Teac VRDS-7 cd player off ebay, via the richer sounds shop, for a not unreasonable £164 including delivery.

I've had it about 2 days and its starting playing up :(, now I do have a 3 month richer sounds warranty so I can get it repaired or get my money back, but I just wondered if anyone has encountered a similar problem with their player - I know there are a few people on here who own a Teac player, or have modded/serviced them.

The reason I ask is because I'm not sure how good richer sounds would be at a long term fix, the VRDS players have a rather complicated mechanism, and given this is an ex-service item (I can tell as the screws on the lid are marked where they've been opened) that they've 'fixed' before, I do wonder whether it is fixable and wondered if anyone would be able to suggest where the problem lies - I know theres a lot of possibilities, but all I can do is ask!

The problem is with the cd drawer, its stuck shut. Pressing the 'open' button results in the display saying 'open' and the little light to the right of the tray starts to flash, but the tray does not budge, just a slight whirring noise and then nothing, the draw doesn't even budge. Powering off and then back on has had no effect, the draw remains shut.

Rather annoyed really :( since my marantz player is broken, and the TEAC is dead as well, and I've just had my DAC modded but now have no working cd transport other than the PC which isn't exactly ideal!

Will, Oct 17, 2004
  2. Will

michaelab desafinado

Sounds fixable to me. Why not open it up and take a look at what's actually happening when you try to open the draw? If you don't want to take it to Richers I'm sure WM would be able to sort it for you if it's fixable :)

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 17, 2004
  3. Will

joel Shaman of Signals

Dumb question...
    Does the Teac have a transport bolt on the bottom, and if so have you loosened it?

joel, Oct 17, 2004
  4. Will

Will The Lucky One

I'm not sure actually, given that the player came without a manual, I'll have a look in a minute though - however I would expect that since the player was playing beforehand then it would have been loose enough, but I suppose it can't hurt to check.

Michaelab, does your T-1 have a transport screw? It seems to me (after a brief search) that the VRDS-7 is the same as the T1 bar it has an analogue output stage, the chassis looks identical, so if yours has a transport screw then so would mine?

Will, Oct 17, 2004
  5. Will

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

The VRDS 10 and T1 were identical save for the additional DAC/output stage board in the VRDS-10. I believe that the 7 was the predecessor in the same line (with the 8 and 9 being shoebox sized players).

I-S, Oct 17, 2004
  6. Will

DavidY80 Long Member

I've had my VRDS-10 apart several times now, the last time to replace the laser assy. They're not that hard to work on, so I'd suggest opening it up to take a look. It sound as though the clamping mech is not releasing which may be as simple as carefully applying some lubricant in the appropriate place. (Works wonders for me :D )

DavidY80, Oct 17, 2004
  7. Will

michaelab desafinado

My T1 doesn't have a transport screw that I'm aware of. I reckon the mech might just need a good lube as David suggested.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 17, 2004
  8. Will

stickman

The transport "lock" on the VRDS mechanisms -well my P30, P700 and P500 - does not lock the drawer. On all of these the locking mechanism is accessed via a hole in the base of the unit.

With it engaged, its still possible to load a disk, but when you press play it will "click" because the mechanism cannot move to track the disc.

If you phone TEAC, they'll give you the no. of the company they recommend, who will look at your player and give you a quote for the repairs. But, I wouldn't expect it to be cheap, it cost ~£250 to have my P500 serviced.

stickman, Oct 18, 2004
Ask a Question