Technical query on volume control of Bel Canto Evo2i

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Hi, I'm hoping that someone can help.

I'm wondering quite how the volume control on my Evo2i works, e.g. does it:
    - Use a digital volume control, which at lower volumes actually throws away bits of data.
    - Use an analogue volume control, and cuts volume from an input signal
    - Use an internal amplifier to further boost the input

The background to my question is that I'm running an AV processor into my Evo2i. To my knowledge, there isn't a way to disable the volume control for an input (if there is, please let me know how). So my question really is about the implications of setting the volume at "100". Does that mean:
    - It's simply allowing absolutely all the signal through
    - It's actually further amplifying the input signal, and may lead to distortion

I'm guessing that it's the first of those two, anyone care to comment?

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 1, 2008
  2. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Typical, 1 min after posting this, and I find:
    "Rather than utilize a traditional potentiometer for volume control, Bel Canto has combined an analog stepped attenuator".

My take on that is that the signal is being attenuated, i.e. restricted, but in an analogue manner. Is that correct?

More importantly, is it safe to run the input from the AV processor at 100?

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 1, 2008
  3. Mr_Sukebe

lbr monkey boy

My reading would be that rather than using a pot, they're using discrete resistors of varying values. Same principle really, but maybe better in implementation esp. re. quality of components.

So yes, analoguely attenuated

lbr, Oct 1, 2008
  4. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Based upon that, do you think it's safe to run the Evo on 100, just aslong as the volume is turned way down in the AV processor?

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 1, 2008
  5. Mr_Sukebe

lbr monkey boy

When you say AV processor, I guess you mean exactly that - a processor and not a receiver (i.e. you're not running an amp into an amp).

Can't see any reason why that wouldn't work fine - a few pre-amps and integrated amps I've had/seen have a unitary gain input which specifically bypasses the volume control (attenuator) for use with an AV set up. Setting your Bel at 100 is effectively doing the same thing.

Just to be on the safe side, proceed with caution on the volume knob first time round though eh ;)

lbr, Oct 1, 2008
  6. Mr_Sukebe

Everest Audio Neil - Everest Audio

I've been a Bel Canto dealer for a long time now and know this fantastic integrated amp very well. The unity gain for this piece is not 100. The unity gain for an input is 84 (note: it mentions this in the specifications of the manual). Since the preamp section in this integrated is active, having it at 100 would be additionally amplifying the signal significantly. Set the input you'll use on the eVo2i for your A/V processor at 84 and it will remember this setting every time you go to this input since it remembers the last setting. This will work well for you.

Neil - Everest Audio

Everest Audio, Oct 2, 2008
  7. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Neil>
    That's absolutely SPOT ON, thanks for the reply. I'll go set it to 84 right now.

BTW, I do simply love this amp. Bought it to replace a Naim pre/power/PSU combo and have heard MANY other amps since then. The only amp I've preferred was a seriously expensive WAVAC unit, which was simply way outside of my price bracket.
    I just haven't heard anything else that I thought was better, included 300Bs.

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 2, 2008
  8. Mr_Sukebe

Everest Audio Neil - Everest Audio

Mr_Sukebe,

This truely is a fantastic integrated amp. I used one for the longest time, but as a dealer I need to keep up with having the latest pieces in my system, otherwise I doubt I would have changed. I'm a big fan of integrated amps and have always loved this particular piece. I've had people that were big tube fans that couldn't believe how good this piece sounded when listening to it in my system.

I don't know which version you had, but there were some substantial changes for the better. The Gen II version was a nice step up over Gen I, but it really came together when they did the capacitor upgrade on the Gen II. It had very good power, excellent bass control and definition, and a very open and transparent sound with no grain. I used to sell the Krell KAV-400xi at the same time, and for me it was no contest. The Krell KAV-400xi is an excellent piece for Krell. I really didn't like their KAV series at all with the exception of this piece which was very good. But, the eVo2i beat it on all fronts in my opinion. It had better bass extention than the Krell with more definition on the bottom end as well. It was also more transparent, open, alive, and musical. If you were ever contemplating getting rid of it, I'd advise against it. You'd have to spend a lot of cash to outperform this piece (if you have the Gen II with capacitor upgrade.

Neil - Everest Audio

Everest Audio, Oct 2, 2008
  9. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Mine is a gen2, and as I mentioned, I've yet to hear anything south of £10k that has even vaguely interested me.

Furthermore, the wife has banned glowing tubes, so that avenues out, and I don't really gel with the other digital options, e.g. the new BC and the NuForce kit.

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 2, 2008
  10. Mr_Sukebe

weald-audio

i took one of these in part ex a while back.have been using it for dems ever since, great piece of kit.

weald-audio, Oct 2, 2008
  11. Mr_Sukebe

jctapana

Hi!

I am new here, first post. :) I am being offered an Evo2i Gen I, new old stock for 1,100 USD. Sounds like a darn good deal, but 2 things bother me:

- Should I look for a Gen II instead? Is there a big difference soundwise? I emailed Bel Canto about a possible upgrade, but no reply yet.

- Will be using it within my HT. Does that volume trick really work? (we know this unit has no HT bypass).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Juan.

jctapana, Jun 29, 2010
  12. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

I've been using mine set at 84 volume by default, never had a problem. I'd suggest you compare the price to those on Audiogon for reference.

Mr_Sukebe, Jun 29, 2010
  13. Mr_Sukebe

jctapana

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I've been checking Audiogon & ebay for weeks now, in search for the best integrated in the 1,000 US range (new or used). Very few Evo2i show up, this one looks like a good deal, demo item, only 40 hours in it and a 90 day warranty. I want to have pre outs for a subwoofer and bypass -if possible-. Very few meet both requirements.

I have checked -though not heard- the following candidates on the web (this is Mexico, nothing is available for auditioning):

- Classe CAP151
    - Jolida 302BRC
    - Exposure 2010S
    - LFD Mistral
    - Manley Stingray
    - Creek 5350SE
    - Unison Unico
    - Musical Fidelity A3.5
    - YBA Integré
    - Audio Analogue Primo
    - PrimaLuna One
    - NAD M3
    - Rega Mira 3

and some others. The Evo2i is a winner ... so far. The ugly part is the best pieces sell very fast, I have already missed three amps.

Thanks.

JCN.

jctapana, Jun 30, 2010
Ask a Question