Technics SB10 leaf tweeter, please help!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by keirsamuel, Jan 15, 2007.

1. keirsamuel

keirsamuel

Hello. I have a big problem with my Speakers and I am "bulk pasting" the text below to many different forums, experts and manufacturers because I haven't had much luck yet with a useful response. Therefore I would kindly ask that if you can't help directly then perhaps you could forward this to someone who might, or advise me as to where else to seek advice. Many thanks in advance.

I have a set of Technics SB10s from 1982/3. One of the leaf tweeters has blown, despite the overload protection circuitry (but 23 years is pretty good!) Obviously they're 2 years off being 'Vintage' but I am posting in some Vintage Hifi forums because the leaf tweeter (model EAS 10TH400B) is no longer made and I'm hoping an enthusiast may just have one somewhere.

So, to elaborate on this... I would ideally like to locate the same tweeter, but as I know this is totally unlikely, I either need to know who still makes leaf tweeters and if theirs would be suitable for the SB10s, or... which type of modern-day tweeter would be the best equivalent. For those that won't know the SB10s are rare if only because they incorporate Honeycomb Discs with a flat alloy front for both the mid and bass cones (they're 3 way). A scanned article on the Technics Honeycomb speaker can be found here: http://deonc1.tripod.com/index.html.

Whilst this technology has now been surpassed, they have a lovely sound and are, after all, 'reference speakers' which is precisely what conerns me about not just whacking any old tweeters in them - plus they have a very, open, relaxed, vocal-enhancing sound that is more on the soft than punchy side; so apart from tech specs and sourcing parts, I need to know what to go for to retain the smooth and refined balance of the sound. I discovered several folk were testing the lower hearing of some bats and moths with those tweeters, would you believe it!

I'm a hifi construction novice and would be getting someone else to install the replacements. I would assume that the SB10's input of 150Wp/ch and Music out 100Wp/ch DIN, means the power input is divided roughly 3 way between the 3 cones, though I'm not sure the wattage I need. What I do know is they're 8 Ohms and that because they're 3 way I would need something with very clean 'top-top-end' that could be crossed over at a high frequency; when I tested the working tweeter on its own there was very little upper-mid, mainly very high, subtle frequencies and harmonics. I'm not expert enough to start fiddling with Xovers and stuff. They sounded OK as they were, damn it!

These speakers mean a lot to me as I first heard them at age 4 (I was born around when they were made) and bought them from the previous owner in 2000! So I'm bodging it whatever the case. I just need someone to tell me the best way to go about it, and where to get the most appropriate parts. Given that they are insured and I don't yet know how much to claim for I can't say an exact budget but certainly no more than about £250 GBP on 2 tweeters, hopefully a bit less, but I'll consider anything right now. The speakers had a retail price of £1200 (pair) in 1982/3.

Many Thanks for reading through my panic attack.

Keir (UK)

keirsamuel, Jan 15, 2007
  2. keirsamuel

Dick Bowman

I have a pair of JVC1011 leaf tweeters which you could have for a quite small sum (depending on exactly where you're located). Similar vintage - something I'd used for the top over and beyond Bandor midrange/tweeter. They wouldn't be a drop-in replacement (I remember the SB10s).

Part of a whole heap of drivers I'm getting ready to sell (decided my DIY days are numbered - so little time, so much to do). Volts, Bandors. Corals - some other stuff. Anybody interested drop me a PM - it'll spur me into action.

Dick Bowman, Jan 15, 2007
Ask a Question