Technics SC-EH780

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jabawoky, Jan 14, 2024.

1. Jabawoky

Jabawoky

I have been having problems with the sound on my Technics SC-EH780 the speakers are SB-DV280 A that sound horrible I have changed the capacitors which hasn't made any difference but after testing I found that the mid rang was wired out of phase as per the manufacturers instructions because according to their manual it was connected correctly but how can that be if the speaker goes in instead of out when I test it with the +- of a battery !?

Jabawoky, Jan 14, 2024
  2. Jabawoky

tuga

Many speakers have one of the drivers connected with inverted acoustic polarity (e.g. Harbeth M30.2 or Kef Reference 5) to avoid a dip in the crossover frequency.
    To check for the correct connection you need a measurement microphone, not a battery.

tuga, Jan 14, 2024
  3. Jabawoky

Jabawoky

Thank you for your reply but can I ask if my speakers are wired as per the manual then why would they not sound right I understand what your saying but surely they can't go out of phase all by themselves can they !?

Jabawoky, Jul 1, 2024
  4. Jabawoky

Sergeauckland

Drivers won't go in or out of phase by themselves, but it's quite common for drivers to be wired out of phase because the type of crossover used inverts phase at the crossover frequency. Absolute phase is not necessary, or audible, regardless of what some looney audiophiles may think.

As to why the 'speakers sound bad, they could just be crap 'speakers!
    Have they always sounded bad, and do both 'speakers sound the same. If so, then see if you can try others.

S

Sergeauckland, Jul 1, 2024
Ask a Question