Technics SP10 MKII discussion

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by scott_01, Sep 3, 2007.

1. scott_01

RobHolt Moderator

Thanks Scott.

I have a JVC motor unit very similar to that in the second small pic somewhere boxed in my garden shed. I had it as a teenager and it sits in a plywood plinth which I filled with concrete :)
    Was lovely with the original Mission 774/773 arm and cartridge.

RobHolt, Sep 4, 2007
  2. scott_01

RobHolt Moderator

David, just copy and paste the entire IMG line into your post. Should work.

RobHolt, Sep 4, 2007
  3. scott_01

ADPully

the glut of them was three years ago - today theres not many about.

Sorry Just googled sterling it couldnt find it. There used to be a sterling site. It might be trackable by LS3/5A - hes the same guy who does this Sp10s or used to.

Scott - why dont you rename this thread - "All things Technics SP10" or something similar?

regards
    Andy

ADPully, Sep 4, 2007
  4. scott_01

Baudrillard

Thanks Rob. Ok here goes. This will be my first ever direct photo paste. (goodbye 100.00 kb restriction!)

Ladies and Gentleman, I bring to you.....(drumroll)....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007
    Baudrillard, Sep 4, 2007
  5. scott_01

Baudrillard

the latest crop circles outside Salisbury!!

Baudrillard, Sep 4, 2007
  6. scott_01

Stereo Mic

Oh here you go then

[​IMG]

And underneath

[​IMG]

Still. Mine's not really an SP10

[​IMG]

Stereo Mic, Sep 4, 2007
  7. scott_01

Baudrillard

Looks like one to me and in superb nick! Maybe there were minor variations over the its long production lifespan.

Seems like Scott has the 4 pads looking at his first post.

I doubt they make that much difference anyway. The benefits in replacing the stock mat with something better would, I'm sure, far outweigh the build up of a little static.

Baudrillard, Sep 4, 2007
  8. scott_01

murray johnson

Mic, That platter/top plate relationship does look a little different from most of the SP10's I've seen. Usually the angled part of the platter ends level with where the motor unit top surface starts. There isn't usually any vertical platter showing. Is it all the way down? Not that I suppose it matters. I've never seen a 'by Panasonic' one before either. Are there any other differences? What does the psu look like?

Stirling Broadcast website
    http://www.stirlingbroadcast.net/

murray johnson, Sep 4, 2007
  9. scott_01

scott_01

Nothing like jumping the gun but that might be an SP10MKIII platter, they have a much brighter finish than the MKII versions and may I suppose fit slightly differently.

It could be a latter model or a replacement.

scott_01, Sep 4, 2007
  10. scott_01

Stereo Mic

Fear Not Murray.

The clamp is still in place so the platter is resting on it. Eagle eyed though!

It's an SL-1000Mk2. The main advantage appears to be that it's been nowhere near a Radio Station by the looks of it. The PSU is the same as all of them - only 120v and I can't get inside. Nice to have the Panasonic badge ;-)

I should have my plinth in a week. I've ordered up a top plate ,cut out using an original template, of 30mm Black Italian Slate along with a another bottom plate the same without the cut out. The idea is to float the one on the other using squash balls, and give it a nice wooden surround. Springs could be used instead of squash balls, or of course isolation cones. The bottom plinth is drilled to accept spikes, cones, Stillpoints or whatever.

Stereo Mic, Sep 4, 2007
  11. scott_01

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Mike the SL-1000Mk2 was the domestic version. It came with the SH10B3 Obsidan plinth and either the EPA100 or EPA500 tonearm. These should not have seen studio action so they should be in better nick.

Sounds interesting, keep us informed.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Sep 4, 2007
  12. scott_01

murray johnson

Delivered with clamp. Proper job! I'll bet all the lights work too.
    Make sure you post some pics as you put the plinth components together. Have you had larger cutouts included to fit replaceable armboards above or have you just had holes specifically cut for the arms you've chosen.

My deck's psu has voltage selection via a switch on its rear. I'd be surprised if yours couldn't be changed inside somehow. I also needed to fit an additional earth wire from the psu case to the plug to stop a buzz that occurred when I touched the arm's fingerlift (the arm was of course isolated from the motor unit by Corian) One thing Doug Stirling also used to do to refurbs was to disable the magnetic brake. I'm not sure why. When I turn mine off it slows down naturally rather than instantly.

murray johnson, Sep 4, 2007
  13. scott_01

ADPully

I have 4 large round marks on the underside of my mat - its looking Identical to Scotts except on mine the M in the middle of the number is a dash. There doesnt seem to be any air pockets behind them and they dont appear to be of a different hardness rubber. I may be proven wrong but they look like mould release marks to me. Are you sure your Engineer mate wasnt taking the piss?

Andy

ADPully, Sep 4, 2007
  14. scott_01

Baudrillard

Hi Andy

No this engineer was as serious and experienced as they come, trust me. He actually told me what it was and what purpose it serves- but I've gone and forgotten :rolleyes:

I do think you'll find that within those 4 circles there is 'something' put there on purpose by Technics to counteract 'something' that emanates from underneath (static or similar).

But the fact that aftermarket mats have been commonly used without apparent adverse effect (the opposite infact), perhaps indicates that we are talking 'subtle' here, and really nothing to lose sleep over.

But if anyone actually 'knows' for sure (no guessing) what is inside those circular shapes, then please come forward and put our minds at ease.

Thank you and goodnight.

Baudrillard, Sep 4, 2007
  15. scott_01

Stereo Mic

self censored because there are a few oversensitive little flowers on ZG whose humour genes were removed at birth - not the mods I might add who didn't see anything untoward.

In the interests of not upsetting these poor souls and not derailing the thread - post disappears. But feel free to PM me if you have a sense of humour.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
    Stereo Mic, Sep 4, 2007
  16. scott_01

Baudrillard

Who ever he is, he looks in pretty good shape to me, Mike!

That said, you may want to rotate him to check stiction in his bearing.

Baudrillard, Sep 4, 2007
  17. scott_01

Jampot

Incensed of Wigan

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
    Jampot, Sep 5, 2007
  18. scott_01

Anthony

Please do call Stirling Broadcast and mention you may be looking for a plinth.

I called yesterday and he didn't seem at all interested in doing them, but the more that call the more likely it becomes.

Also interested to see other people's plinth building projects. Will probably be undertaking something myself soon with wood, but have no knowledge whatsoever and will get someone else to do the cutting. Aiming for a space that will allow different armboards to be attached for different arms from 9-10", which will hopefully future proof the plinth.

If I get anywhere I'll post some photos and info here :)

Anthony, Sep 5, 2007
  19. scott_01

Ken

I bought plinth for my Technics SP 10 II from Stirling Broadcast.

It is made out of Corian and does an excellent job.

It was a couple of years ago and was not cheap, but I think it was the last one they had.

Ken

Ken, Sep 5, 2007
  20. scott_01

scott_01

I emailed Richard at Vantage to let him know about my post. He has read it and said:

'We have been thinking about producing a replica Technics plinth for some time now (well some years now, since I bought my obsidian plinth about 8 years ago). If there were sufficient interest we would produce a batch'

May also be worth a try.

I'll re-name this thread as 'Technics SP10MKII discussion'

scott_01, Sep 5, 2007
Ask a Question