Technics SP10 MKII discussion

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by scott_01, Sep 3, 2007.

1. scott_01

Anthony

Hmmmm, interesting.

I wonder what he has in mind and what sort of ballpark price. Will give him a call this afternoon.

given i've got two of the damn things (one missing a PSU) I can always try a home-designed one too as a little project.

Anthony, Sep 5, 2007
  2. scott_01

murray johnson

Its good if he's thinking about making something. Whether a straight replica of the Technics Obsidian plinth is the best direction to go in is a different issue.

murray johnson, Sep 5, 2007
  3. scott_01

Stereo Mic

My plinth with two levels of slate, isolation and plywood should easily come in below £300 which rather puts the £1400 slate deck into perspective IMHO.

I'm getting some cut for another forumite and mine will be here next week.

Stereo Mic, Sep 5, 2007
  4. scott_01

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

scott: your PM box might be full, i've sent loads.. i was wondering if you've had the chnace to try the cables yet?

sq225917, Sep 5, 2007
  5. scott_01

joel Shaman of Signals

That would be me :)
    Slate is not easily available here in Japan; all we get is granite, which doesn't seem to work very well (this no doubt is classic audiohool self-delusion). It's also a lot more expensive to have a granite board made here than to have slate cut in the UK and brought over.
    My plinth will be cut in the classic style with two simple 20mm diameter holes to mount 9" and 12" Morch arms.
    The plan is to run the plinth as is at first, but longer term I will have made a custom wooden plinth & surround for the slate to sit inside, probably in some mixture of birch plywood and teak.
    Just need to find a good motor now :)

joel, Sep 5, 2007
  6. scott_01

sideshowbob Trisha

Have you considered ceramic? Yours could be the first Shigaraki SP10 :)

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 5, 2007
  7. scott_01

joel Shaman of Signals

If you're buying, I'll try it :)

joel, Sep 5, 2007
  8. scott_01

scott_01

That's a good point

I suppose the standard plinth could be dis-assembled to separate the Obsidian Layer and the wooden base. You could isolate the Obsidian with RDC / Sorbothane etc or couple it to the wood with spikes / Ball Bearings etc. The same could then be done to the wood layer to give you a 3 layer plinth system. These seem to be a bit more in vogue these days.

Mic

I'd love to see some pictures of your plinth when it arrives. I've got some ideas but it'll take me years to get around to trying them.

scott_01, Sep 6, 2007
  9. scott_01

Baudrillard

I quite liked the look of this one.

[​IMG]

Baudrillard, Sep 6, 2007
  10. scott_01

joel Shaman of Signals

Here's a "Kaneda" SP-10 on Yahoo Japan Auctions:

[​IMG]

Auction here

no takers at 80k

I've got a bid prepared for one of the SP-10s up for sale on there. Yahoo is very dodgy, but if the price is right probably worth the risk in this instance.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2007
    joel, Sep 6, 2007
  11. scott_01

murray johnson

murray johnson, Sep 6, 2007
  12. scott_01

joel Shaman of Signals

Kaneda was famous for rebuilding (more accurately providing plans in M&J) SP-10s almost from scratch with particular attention to the electronics.
    A Kaneda plinth is what you see in the photo from Yahoo Auctions.

joel, Sep 6, 2007
  13. scott_01

joel Shaman of Signals

And now there's a guy selling an SP10mkIII who wants 400K. Makes Richard's MkIII look something of a bargain :)
    Yahoo auctions are madness.

joel, Sep 7, 2007
  14. scott_01

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I'd like to anounce I'm prepared to sell my nottingham analogue mentor, with wave power supply and kuzma arm for a bargain £40,000.

At only seven times the retail price, I'm sure you'll agree it's only fair to take account of inflation.

bottleneck, Sep 7, 2007
  15. scott_01

Stereo Mic

I see a lot of people chancing their arm on flea bay with old turntables. After all - it's always going to be a case of supply and demand setting the prices on these items.

I would have thought however, once they've advertised for the eighth time and not received a single bit, I would have thought the message re realistic pricing might get through.

There was a guy recently tried to sell a Sony TTS8000 on E Bay - "Buy It Now" at £2,750.

Of course no one did buy it now, then, or whenever, and he's now finally trying HFFS with a more realistic £950. It's worth about £500 to a collector - less to a music lover.

Stereo Mic, Sep 7, 2007
  16. scott_01

cooky1257

That a very nice looking deck/plinth-gorgeous.

cooky1257, Sep 7, 2007
  17. scott_01

enjoy_the_music

Hello chaps.

Nice to see my auctions are famous :)

I'm gathering a few ideas to create a super-highend direct drive TT. The mk3 Technics with sp-02 motor is a good starting point...so is the Denon DP-100 and EMT 950.

For bases i'd go with something heavy and massive, with super low resonance. If you're really anal you could levitate it all on some Yamamoto MGB-1 magnetic bases.

Murray, thats why i've been asking about the Cotter B-1 base...its still a true reference in my book.

Richard

enjoy_the_music, Sep 14, 2007
  18. scott_01

murray johnson

The only references I can find for it are on the Sound Fountain site and in links to an edition of HiFi Exclusiv where it appears to have been tested way back when. The laminated construction they describe seems quite sensible (layers of aluminium & perspex) I was thinking along the same lines but perhaps incorporating good quality ply instead of acrylic. (easier to make too)

There are two issues really. One is mounting the motor unit in something suitably inert & substantial but something which provides a rigid coupling between the motor unit & the arm mounting arrangement ie nothing soggy like perspex or wood.
    The second issue is isolating this assembly from the outside world without spoiling the ergonomics of the TT or indeed allowing the high starting torque/heavyish platter to upset this isolation when it does start.

Some manufacturers (I'm thinking of Goldmund/Pierre Lurne) like a suspension/isolation system which still gives a single point mechanical ground. It would be useful to experiment with that idea too.

murray johnson, Sep 14, 2007
  19. scott_01

enjoy_the_music

Indeed ;)

I've emailed the guy behind the Soundfountain site for more info. I'll circulate it if anyone is interested.

Exciting stuff eh. Choice of materials very important. The important thing is to establish the absolute firm foundations/basic laws for turntable design when using high torque, quartz lock motors such as these. I also see the platter is two types of material also.*

*Edit: I'm just getting to the bottom of this myself...lots of excellent resources though.

I was checking out the Caliburn. From what i can see the internals are manufactured from what looks like milled resin. When I was involved with robotics manufacture, especially prototyping..there were all sorts of very very dense tooling resins. I wouldnt be surprised if this is what was used as the main chassis. You could design the whole chassis in this material and have it milled out of one piece quite easily and accurately. The magnesium alloy shell is then just bolted on....a nice simple design all in all but very effective. Tooling resins are used to make prototyping forms for 1000 off say metal pressing for car bodies and the like.

By laminated layers I assume you mean something like the Kuzma Stabi reference?

[​IMG]

Rgds

R

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2007
    enjoy_the_music, Sep 14, 2007
  20. scott_01

murray johnson

Something always appeals to me about a laminated structure as opposed to a single machined homogenous lump of any material whatever it is. Ideally I'd use more but finer laminations than the Kuzma uses but doubtless that works very well.

murray johnson, Sep 14, 2007
Ask a Question