Tektronix test equipment

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by la toilette, May 2, 2008.

1. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

Any useful or interesting hifi usage out of some old test equipment that consists of an oscilloscope, a differential amp, a 4 channel amp, a dual trace calibrated preamp and some plug in units?

I did a quick search and two likewise bits of it came up on US ebay from a seller who has loads of bits:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Tektronix-type-...ryZ25392QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    and...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Tektronix-type-...ryZ25392QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just wondered if I could play around (or electrocute) myself with it. Spotted a unit with several of these bits in a clearance place that I could probably pick up for pence, but if it's just old junk then I won't bother. :)

la toilette, May 2, 2008
  2. la toilette

I'll take that as a 'no' then :D

It's probably got nowt to do with audio anyway, but it looked cool in a mad scientist sort of way.

la toilette, May 3, 2008
  3. la toilette

Sonusthree Coaxial Kid

Oscilloscopes are great for investigating audio.

Sometimes it's nice to see what you're hearing!

Sonusthree, May 4, 2008
  4. la toilette

Fen Dancer Two left feet

I've used Tektronix scopes at work for years and can't remember any of them going duff. The scope probes break eventually but are a readily available plug in replacement. You could monitor your mains which would help you decide if you would benefit from mains spurs/filtration/regeneration equipment. Also phase invertion, phase shifts etc. If you like tinkering go for it - common sense should see you safe.

Fen Dancer, May 6, 2008
  5. la toilette

Snoo

Those Tektronix bits plug into another unit. Long blue case with a handle on top. Used to have some. Basically it's just a power supply, but you need it really.

Snoo, May 8, 2008
  6. la toilette

Yeah alll the bits were in one big box thing that pivoted on a stand. Anyway, I decided that it was probably just gather dust in a corner so passed on it, and it was a bit too big to not be in the way at some point or other!

la toilette, May 8, 2008
Ask a Question