Test cds for subs

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Andy, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Andy

Andy registered grazer

Hi all.

Some months ago i put together a pair of small subwoofers and now that my sister(and her 2 sons)have moved into her new house after a "temporary" stay, i have finally unboxed and set up the rest of my system and am trying to integrate the subs as well as possible.
    Unfortunately, i don't have access to any kind of measuring equipment so it has to be done by ear.

What i'm looking for is a well recorded cd that has good, well extended bass which hasn't been over emphasised or boosted.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Andy, Nov 15, 2007
  2. Andy

Wickfut

anything by Keb Mo

Wickfut, Dec 8, 2007
  3. Andy

Andy registered grazer

Cheers Wickfut i'll have a look out for their stuff. I'd all but forgotten about starting this thread...

Maybe if i had asked a question about cables....hmm :)

Andy, Dec 9, 2007
  4. Andy

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Andy, why not buy an SPL meter - they are only about £20.

That, combined with a disc of test tones would at least let you level match.

If you wanted to go further and ensure the subs were placed optimally within your room, then purchase of the 'CARA' software program would get you there.

Frankly, I'd buy CARA tomorrow if I didn't have a copy - it's priceless....and no more expensive than a silver cable ;)

bottleneck, Dec 9, 2007
  5. Andy

mr cat Member of the month

have you got a URL for CARA, bottleneck?

as for test music cds...what kind of music you into?

mr cat, Dec 9, 2007
  6. Andy

Andy registered grazer

Chris: i've been reading about the Cara software and it sounds like just what i'm looking for. The SPL meter and test cd will be useful too but with a bloody expensive christmas on the way and work being slack, they're gonna have to wait!
    Will definitely go down that route though.

Mr Cat: I listen to a wide variety of stuff-mostly indie rock, reggae, some dance/garage/drum&bass(from my mixing days) and a little classical.
    Was going to use Erikah Badu's Baduism but found the bass a little over the top even with just the main speakers. Don't know whether it's the recording or my room though.

My problem at the moment is the sub sounds a little slow and ponderous, especially on kick drums. I've used the high level connections from the amps speaker outs and set the phase properly.
    The subs are sealed types and the crossover frequency's set as low as possible(30hz).

I've used polyester pillow filling type foam for the damping. Maybe this is to blame??

Andy, Dec 9, 2007
  7. Andy

Stereo Mic

I was wondering where my copy was ;)

I need to "borrow" it if I can.?

I'd second the recommendation though. It should be on anyone's list if they don't have it already.

Stereo Mic, Dec 9, 2007
  8. Andy

kmac

http://www.cara.de/

Its good, but if you have limited room to maneuver then you may be better off using the free version or spreadsheet equivalent

I have the full version and I would say it also requires the invesment of some time to model your room properly

kmac, Dec 9, 2007
Ask a Question