The Ashes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Heavymental, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Heavymental

Heavymental

Come on boys!!! :D :D :D :D
    Going to be a very tense day. Doesn't look like theres going to be any rain so all out for the win.

Heavymental, Sep 12, 2005
  2. Heavymental

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Do you get the feeling that there will be the same quality of australian whine as there was after we beat them at rugby?

I-S, Sep 12, 2005
  3. Heavymental

Heavymental

Dunno...cricket is usually a bit different but sure there would be a bit. Anyway...don't tempt fate yet Isaac.

4. Heavymental

lordsummit moderate mod

It's a big day and a big occasion which will suit Warne. I'm hoping we can hang in there long enough to make it impossible for them to make a big enough score

lordsummit, Sep 12, 2005
  5. Heavymental

Bell and Pietersen are rubbish... One can't bat and the other can't catch (not that I could do any better, but I'm not the one being paid to).

I-S, Sep 12, 2005
  6. Heavymental

Heavymental

christ...Tresco just gone and Pieterson dropped twice. 109-4. Lets hope freddie can seal his 'man of the series' award with a good innings.

7. Heavymental

Oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Why was it that warne decided to retire?

I-S, Sep 12, 2005
  8. Heavymental

Heavymental

Christ...we're up against it now :(

9. Heavymental

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Which was the one that can't bat, again?

7_V, Sep 12, 2005
  10. Heavymental

michaelab desafinado

England all out for 335 and the Aussies haven't a hope of getting enough runs in the time/overs left so England get the ashes back :beer:

Isaac - you might want to revise your views of Pietersen as he pretty much saved the day for England ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 12, 2005
  11. Heavymental

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Excellent result :cool: . England were the better side throughout the series and throroughly deserve the win. I was stressed with the way Pietersen was playing earlier and looked like getting himself out, but thankfully his luck held and he went on to a match winning (with Collingwood's and Giles' support) total.

(Presumeably Isaac was referring to Pietersen as the player who couldn't catch, whilst the comment of Bell not being able to bat can't really be argued on the basis of this match's performance.)

MartinC, Sep 12, 2005
  12. Heavymental

michael - he still can't catch.

I-S, Sep 12, 2005
  13. Heavymental

greg Its a G thing

Pietersen has cost us a couple of wickets, but cometh the hour...

Regards Bell I cant see him remaining in the first XI

greg, Sep 12, 2005
  14. Heavymental

greg Its a G thing

I was a bit disappointed with the way things were drawn to a close. Not sure why the Aussies bothered taking to the crease only to then take the light. Then to go a sit in the pavillion. It sort of took the dramatic edge of the finish for the crowd especially.

Anyway - historic series against a dogged and thoroughly determined Australian side, nice to see England reply with equal character when under pressure. Classic stuff.

greg, Sep 12, 2005
  15. Heavymental

MartinC Trainee tea boy

They presumably had to take to the field, and then the light level deteriorated after they started? The ending was daft though. A rule that allowed the two captains to agree a match was drawn might not be a silly idea? I assume such a rule doesn't exists so as not to deprive spectators of play to watch, but perhaps it could be allowable within say an hour of the scheduled end of play? I'm sure absolutely everyone in the ground, including the umpires, would have gladly declared the match a draw when England were all out, if not sooner.

MartinC, Sep 12, 2005
  16. Heavymental

greg Its a G thing

Good point. I just felt perhaps an announcement to the crowd rather than a gradual dribble to the pavillion. Clearly the light was offered even though it was still acceptably light. Yet another revision to the regulations is a good idea to allow a draw to be agreed. Superb result though and even at tea today there was still some fear left that the game could be stolen. I think if we were all out with 40 overs to play (presuming light didnt ultimately cut that number) the Aussies could have come out and aggressively attacked our target at that stage. However with Giles's excellent resolution added to Pietersen's remarkable performance it just wasnt their day. :D

A doff of the cap to Warne and Lee though. Sheer bloody mindedness almost turned a sure draw into a result. Great bowling and some excellent catches too.

greg, Sep 12, 2005
  17. Heavymental

GAZZ

Well done England, This series has been the best cricket i have ever seen. Even better than Bothams ashes in the early eighties.

GAZZ, Sep 12, 2005
  18. Heavymental

Saab

Warne is the second best cricketer that ever lived,behind Botham.

Saab, Sep 12, 2005
  19. Heavymental

Heavymental

woohoo! What a great day it was listening to TMS at work then hitting the beach for a lovely surf in the evening sun when it was all wrapped up! Great stuff from the boys. What a summer of drama and heroes! So many people stepped up at different times and it was KPs turn yesterday. Catches win matches but so do majestic, epic centuries.

Heavymental, Sep 13, 2005
  20. Heavymental

griffo104

Sheer quality.

This has been the best summers for cricket that I can remember - don't forget this is one of the best teams in recent history and over 5 tests we deserved to beat them.

Warne showed what a quality sportsman he is - best bowler of all time ?

Lee showed what losing means (and did this while showing great sportsmanship as well)

Flintoff has been world class but the rest of the team has dug in and whenever we needed someone to step forward some one always did - Pieterson & Giles were quality yesterday afternoon.

Everything that is wrong with the England footie team is right in the cricket team. Great team spirit, lead by an excellent coach and captaincy on the pitch.

Hopefully the overpaid nancy boy footballers will have seen this and take note - if this is what winning the Ashes means think what winnin gthe world cup would do ?

griffo104, Sep 13, 2005
Ask a Question