The best a man can get?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 7_V, Nov 14, 2004.

1. 7_V

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Has anyone tried the new, battery-powered Gillette M3Power shaver?

I noticed that the replacement blades are even more expensive than the Mach 3 Turbo blades, which are even more expensive than the Mach 3 blades, which are more expensive than the Excel - so no surprise there.

Is the new system worth the extra? :confused:

In fairness, wet shavers have come on in leaps and bounds. The new triple-blade shavers are far better than the old double-blades which were streets ahead of the original single-blade 'safety razors'.

As a matter of fact, I'm in awe of the innovation coming out of these companies. Following the double blade ("the first blade shaves you close, the second blade shaves you closer"), who could credit the ingenuity of these guys coming up with the triple blade? And none of us could have possibly predicted that Wilkinson Sword would come out with the Quattro - four blades - BRILLIANT, I didn't see that one coming. :rolleyes:

Presumably, the first blade shaves you close, the second blade shaves you closer, the third blade shaves you even closer and, well, I can't begin to imagine what the fourth blade could do. Has anyone used the new Quattro?

Anyway, just when I started envisaging future razors with 6, 12 or even more blades, Gillette come up with a new razor featuring Micro-Powerâ„¢, a gentle pulsing action powered by a Duracell AAA battery.

Naturally I'm curious.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2004
    7_V, Nov 14, 2004
  2. 7_V

stumblin Kittens getting even...

I've used the M3 power for two months now (they've been out here for a while). Don't bother. It just vibrates, I haven't noticed a difference and can't imagine how there could be one anyway. Oh, and if you do get one just get the Mach 3 turbo blades - the only difference is the colour.

Next innovation for wet shaving - head mounted, laser guided, auto barber...

stumblin, Nov 14, 2004
  3. 7_V

merlin

I'm surprised that didn't make it onto the Ladyshave first Steve ;)

merlin, Nov 14, 2004
  4. 7_V

michaelab desafinado

Well, I've used a Gillette M3 Power razor for a few months (they've been out here for a while too stumblin ;) ) and I think it's a significant improvement over the regular Mach 3 Turbo (they really do have silly names :rolleyes: ).

When Wilkinson Sword came out with the Quattro I tried one of those for a couple of months but they're cr@p. The blades become blunt after about 2 shaves, they don't shave any closer than anything else and they can be quite uncomfortable to use, causing razor burn etc. Oh, they also clog up really easily and are impossible to clean once clogged. I ditched the Quattro and went back to Gillette with the M3 Power. I've tried it with and without the vibration motor turned on and it's definitely better with. I'm not convinced it shaves any closer but it makes it much nicer to use. Glides over the skin a lot better. Also, the blades seem to last longer than the regular Mach 3 Turbo ones, which is good news considering their price!

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 14, 2004
  5. 7_V

Ah, I got the impression that they'd just come out.

Interesting to hear your experience, very different to mine. Having you performed DBT? Maybe you are just justifying the extra financial outlay...

stumblin, Nov 14, 2004
  6. 7_V

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Shaving blind could be dangerous...

That said, wouldn't make much diff to me as I shave without a mirror anyway.

I-S, Nov 14, 2004
  7. 7_V

Perhaps we should have a 'shave off'

stumblin, Nov 14, 2004
  8. 7_V

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

bollox to all that , just slap some immac hair remover cream on there every morning , allow 5 mins to soak in ( you can boil an egg or similar constructive use of the time) then rinse. smoother than a babys arse with minimal effort.
    you wont get served in pubs as a result but your missus wont ever have to suffer beard rash again.

rob, Nov 14, 2004
  9. 7_V

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I have been using the battery one since May ( I picked one up in America)

I think it offers significant improvements and I believe I know why.
    I work in catering and the way to get the finest cuts, and I mean wafer thin as in salmon slices is with a blade that vibrates, this causes a sawing action of course this is at super high speed.

I remember seeing a programme where they were working on a blade made from ceramic which would vibrate, it never came off.

But yes its a super system, what is more there is really no new technology in the blade, any of the mach blades will fit and seem to work equally well.

garyi, Nov 14, 2004
  10. 7_V

Umm, Rob, I do hope you aren't being serious? I'm sure that can't be good for your face.

stumblin, Nov 14, 2004
  11. 7_V

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

oh , i wasent talking about my face..........

rob, Nov 14, 2004
  12. 7_V

ditton happy old soul

I'm obviously missing out on this Mach stuff, having had beard since my twenties, a while back. My only temptation is to go have a wet shave once a year.

ditton, Nov 14, 2004
  13. 7_V

julian2002 Muper Soderator

michael,
    the only reason you like the m3 is beacuse of the name ;)
    to be honest i use flat earth 2 blade + lubrastrip tm whatever disposables. last time i looked i had a huge bag of 12 (half of a bag of 24) unopened in my bathroom cabinet from last year! the bag cost about a fiver.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 14, 2004
  14. 7_V

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

It's like cables but in reverse. Where's Tone?

Has anyone tried cryogenically treating the blades?

Also, I've found that Waleda cream applied with a brush gives the best shave (when I can be bothered). After that it's Gillette Lemon-Lime foam but I can't get into the gel stuff at all.

What are the views of our resident wet shavers?

7_V, Nov 14, 2004
  15. 7_V

merlin

Water and a blade for me - since my teens. Shaving foam's a rip off and only for wusses anyway.

merlin, Nov 14, 2004
  16. 7_V

analoguekid Planet Rush

I like the king of shaves stuff, the cream but have wet shaved since I started, 3 blade gillette for me recently got a quattro, FHM were giving one free, (don't normally buy this but £3.50 for the razoor and a free mag). will be going back to my gillette, much more comfortable, don't like water alone as gel makes blade glide easier, as for cuts i tend to shave with my eyes shut, I also shave against the growth and have never had any problems but I get closer shave.

analoguekid, Nov 14, 2004
  17. 7_V

joel Shaman of Signals

Wimps*

[​IMG]

Geo. Trumper's establishment used to be the place to get one's weekly shave back in the 80s. This meant having to leave Soho, but it was worth the danger.

*I'm a wimp, too.

joel, Nov 14, 2004
  18. 7_V

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

What brand of battery gives the best shave? Are duracells smoother than energisers?

I-S, Nov 14, 2004
  19. 7_V

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

might be best to sit your self on a mana shelf whilst using a vibrating razor , just in case eh?

rob, Nov 14, 2004
  20. 7_V

I have really tough stubble (we're talking desperate Dan here) combined with sensitive skin (poor little me). So I've tried a lot of different products. Currently I'm using Neutrogena razor defence, and it's probably the best I've used so far, but I may be speaking too soon. Previous products used -

King of shaves gel + oil - really good for a close shave, but didn't agree with my skin.
    Clinique shave gel - don't bother, costs loads for no apparent extra benefit over Gillette
    Gillette shave gels (various) - old reliable, normally what I go back to when I get sick of searching for something better. The sensitive one with Jojoba is best.
    Real Shave Co. shaving soap (in a tube), didn't think much of this, might as well have been using a bar of soap.
    Boots soap cake + brush. A brush definitely helps to lift the bristles, but I can't recommend shaving in soap.
    Water - Arrghrghhh, where the hell has my skin gone?
    Generic shave foam, not much better than water.
    Philips cool skin electric razor (wet dry shave), the gel packs are better than the cream packs, but the shave is still pap.
    There are more that I don't remember.

I exfoliate once or twice a week, which I find to help my shave. I shave with the growth, and then again against it, my skin doesn't like me for it, but it's the only way to not get comments about five O'clock shadow when I've just shaved. Though sometimes even that doesn't work. After shaving I moisturise like the big girl that I am.

One day I'll get up the nerve (and steady my hand enough) to try a cut throat.

stumblin, Nov 14, 2004
Ask a Question