The best city in Europe (not in the UK)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Aug 5, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

julian2002 Muper Soderator

they do say that you are only yards away from a rat in any city.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 9, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

tones compulsive cantater

Sid, regretfully, they probably weren't. If you live in an apartment block, you are allocated a washing and drying day - which is never a Sunday. When we lived in an apartment, we had our particular day in the week and when it fell on Christmas Day (and the next one naturally on New Year's Day, both public holidays), we weren't allowed to wash! However, we were ignorant and did it on New Year's Day (having spent Christmas in Belfast with my mother). We were lucky that the Hauswart (caretaker) was a nice guy, who knew we had young children, and he tactfully waited until the last load was spinning before he arrived to tell us that we shouldn't be doing this on a holiday! By the way, we were lucky having one washday a week - in some apartments, it can be only once in 10 days.

People are now getting round this by buying small washing machines that they can use in their apartments, and there are a lot of these now on the market, running on 220V (most Swiss laundry equipment runs on a 380V three-phase voltage, and houses have a dual voltage supply).

In addition, there are "quiet times" to be observed, typically from 12.00 - 2.00 pm, when you can't make any loud racket. So yesterday, I had to wait to 2.00 pm before I could unleash my big Bosch rotary hammer on a concrete footing in the garden that needed taking out.

tones, Aug 10, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

S&C,
    I would say it is well worth a visit, Its quite a few years since i visited but i would still like to go back.
    Full of wonderful medievil architecture, and the bear pit:)

penance, Aug 10, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

Zurich for me, the place just seems to work.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Aug 10, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

Robbo

Amsterdam, its a great place and theres way more than the stereotypical drugs and sex image. I like the atmosphere of most Dutch towns tbh, although Den Haag is a bit boring.

Robbo, Aug 10, 2004
  6. amazingtrade

I guess with a name like "Joyce" it had to be (James of that ilk spent many years here - you can even do a "Joyce tour").

tones, Aug 10, 2004
  7. amazingtrade

I agree with Penance's sentiments. The mediaeval centre of Bern has remained essentially untouched and the modern shops therein have to conform to the old exteriors. It's full of fascinating little arcades and just oozes character and charm. There's even a decent hi-fi shop just off the Bundesplatz! And on a clear day, you can look up and see the snowy peaks of the Berner Oberland (climb the cathedral spire if you want a better view).

tones, Aug 10, 2004
  8. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

Got me looking for cheap flights now!

penance, Aug 10, 2004
Ask a Question