The Dark Side…

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Philip King, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Philip King

Philip King Enlightened User

Assuming that most people here didn't win the lottery and then decide to drop a large hunk of cash on a HiFi rig, we all arrived at our current situation through gradual upgrading and opportunistic buying. In fact most people here seem content to keep on evolving their systems, (rather like the fish that dies if it stays still too long). And therein lies the question;

“At what point did the desire to own the ultimate HiFi take over from the rationale that says 'hmm that sounds good, lets move on and spend my money elsewhere'â€Â

The truth is that I'm not really sure, but I bet you guys have an theory or two……:(

P.S
    Having just re-read that please excuse the massive self indulgence :eek:

Philip King, Feb 17, 2004
  2. Philip King

Philip King Enlightened User

Luckily I am closer to the 'feck it' stage now than ever before as the opportunity cost in foregoing CDs is now quite unpalatable to me. Although this still fails to shed any light on how or why I, (general we), have ended up in this situation.

Philip King, Feb 17, 2004
  3. Philip King

Paul Duerden

Excellent thinking Fox,

I would just add that it is fine take an interest in kit, the alchemy of SET amps or the majesty of the big Krells does have a fascination, just so long as you realise that owning these things will not increase your knowledge of, or your enjoyment of music.

The Naim analogy Fox uses is very pertinent here. So many people spend an absolute fortune to get to the top of the Naim tree, with a 552, 500, DBL system and then just look at the naim forum, these people are still quite often asking why their system isn't working as they would like. The real truth is that their expectations of what these boxes would give them were way beyond what any Hi fi system can do. Many of these people seem to then sell it all off, "downgrade" to a supposedly lesser system and are surprised that they have suddenly reconnected with the music.

I think the simple answer is that a well set up and matched cheaper system from which little was expected has now greatly exeeded that expectation. The result is that the Hi Fi man has taken his attention off the boxes and is not listening for every small fault in the reproduction. This has the consequence of pissing off his Hi Fi dealer but delighting the local record shops.

Paul Duerden, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Philip King

Alex S User

Sadly not of the feck it pursuasion I'm not inclined to add boxes either - I like meddling with mains, cables, isolation transformers, supports and room treatments. Well, actually I don't, but if all the 500/552 owners paid more regard to these aspects they'd probably have remained happy with a 32.5/250, except they wouldn't. of course.

Alex

PS Fox, glad to hear the rewiring's still doing its stuff, I'm being rewired with 25mm armoured cable the safternoon. I'll let you know how it goes, hopefully.

Alex S, Feb 17, 2004
  5. Philip King

cookiemonster

I think i'm at the 'ahh feck it' stage.

cookiemonster, Feb 17, 2004
  6. Philip King

Joolsburger

I'm at the "fecking hifi" stage where I know it sounds good but am also aware that another 20k would sound really, really good.

Also "I want" is one of my favorite sentence openers.

Joolsburger, Feb 17, 2004
  7. Philip King

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Superb comments there, Paul Duerden and Fox. The music lover in me agrees wholeheartedly with those comments but there are a few audiophiles, even on this board, who see constant box and cable swapping as the only way to enjoy the music. Nothing wrong with that though as there is always an accomodating dealer ready to relieve them of their cash. ;) Enlightening couple of posts guys!

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie.:D

Lawrie, Feb 17, 2004
  8. Philip King

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I'm getting real close too (no really) :D

PBirkett, Feb 17, 2004
  9. Philip King

michaelab desafinado

I'm afraid that's pure BS lawrie. There are indeed people who engage in frequent swapping of kit but it's not because they see it as "the only way to enjoy the music" at all. My system hasn't been stable for more than about 3 months in the last couple of years but it's got nothing to do with musical enjoyment at all. I can enjoy the music on my iPod or my cr@ppy car stereo just fine.

Box swapping and "audiophilia" is as much about the equipment as it is the music. It's your basic "boys with toys" situation - and I'm happy to admit that's one of my primary motivations. It's a hobby, it's fun to play with different kit and see how different things work.

It's no different from any other "kit" based hobby like cars, mountain bikes, digital cameras, computers, etc.

If all any of us wanted to do was enjoy the music then we'd be far better off just doing what cookie has done and get a little mini system and spend the savings on CDs.

Michael.

michaelab, Feb 17, 2004
  10. Philip King

The Devil IHTFP

Two and a half years ago I bought a Mana shelf, then I visited various other Mana users, including JW. Once I had done that, I realised that they all had exactly what I had wanted all along, in over twnety years of being interested in hi-fi: a system that plays the music clearly & coherently. So thanks to JW, that's what I have ended up with.

I agree with Michael, if it was 'All about the music', we would just have a midi system or ghetto blaster; there is more to it than the music. We are all hi-fi nerds whether we want to admit it or not.

Having said that, the last two changes to my boxes were turntable 12 months ago and speakers 18 months ago.

I can't see any more changes in the future, apart from more Mana possibly, or possibly not. I am happy with the system as it stands because it exceeds my expectations. Having said that, I wouldn't rule out any further 'upgrades', but I really can't see the point, tbh.

The Devil, Feb 17, 2004
  11. Philip King

A1000

The SET set. The Ls3/5A BBC sound set. The ESL57 crowd. Linn LP12 owners (bunfight started). My mum listening to Radio 4 on an old Rogers. Stretches the point but it is true.

Mate,

IMHO all hifi is a compromise, every design decision a journey down a chosen path.

...small bass cones dont provide the deepest bass, large bass cones provide deep bass but can make music appear slow, high power amps can miss the beauty in the music, low power amps can struggle to drive difficult loads, vinyl struggles with background noise, cd can lack a certain something in the mid band etc etc!!

Naim, LP12 owners, SET amps, Ls3/5a - all no more compromised than CDMN1T, Proac Response 4, Misson 783, Arcam Alpha 9, .... and every other hifi product IMO.

Cheers
    Chris

A1000, Feb 17, 2004
  12. Philip King

Paul Duerden

Mr. A1000

Could you please not attribute my quotes to the Fox. He gets into enough bother as it is.

13. Philip King

A1000

sorry

Ooops.

A1000, Feb 17, 2004
  14. Philip King

Paul Duerden

No worries, we usually agree on Hi Fi anyway, It's music where we get stuck in.

15. Philip King

Alex S User

I got Religion

I spent 25 years as an unhappy box changer. Then, Two and a half years ago I bought a super ball, then I visited various other super ball users, including MB. Once I had done that, I realised that they all had exactly what I had wanted all along, in over twenty years of being interested in static hi-fi: a system that bounced. So thanks to MB, that's what I have ended up with.

Alex S, Feb 17, 2004
  16. Philip King

The Devil IHTFP

It would have been funny if it was funny.

The Devil, Feb 17, 2004
  17. Philip King

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Or indeed made any sense.

garyi, Feb 17, 2004
  18. Philip King

Robbo

Made sense to me and it was funny!

Robbo, Feb 17, 2004
  19. Philip King

Alex S User

Sorry bub, not very funny at all. Perhaps I wasn't inspired by the 9094th retelling of your Road to Damascus moment.

Alex S, Feb 18, 2004
  20. Philip King

The Devil IHTFP

's OK Alex, perhaps I'm not too inspired by the 9094th incarnation of your system since I've known you.

The use of the phrase 'unhappy box changer' did strike a chord, tho'.

The Devil, Feb 18, 2004
Ask a Question