The Delights of Edinburgh.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SCIDB, Nov 25, 2003.

1. SCIDB

SCIDB Moderator

Hi

In the New year (mid January) me & a load of mates may be going on a stag weekend to Edinburgh. I have been before but it was years ago. I'm after an info on decent drinking holes, eating places, clubs, places to visit & places to stay from anyone who know about these things.

Thanks in advance.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 25, 2003
  2. SCIDB

voodoo OdD

SCIDB, George Street (the main street that runs parallel to Princes Street) is where it's all been happening recently. I've been few to Edinburgh a few times when I've been back in the UK and down at the West End there are loads of new 'eateries' and swanky bars.

The food in "The Candy Bar"was top-notch and you have the likes of "Browns" and "Est'Est'Est". From there there are loads of bars on the sides street (Hanover Street etc.) and there's always Rose Street which is just bars ;).

The 'Grass market' is always a winner and "The 3 Sisters" is a great bar if going out in a crowd.

Hope that helps.

Be warned though, Edinburgh at the New Year is enough to freeze deez nuts off :D. Hire yourselves some kilts and really get the ladies workin' :cool: .

Enjoy ! :cool:

voodoo, Nov 25, 2003
  3. SCIDB

sideshowbob Trisha

I'd recommend the airport. You can fly to London from there. :D

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 25, 2003
  4. SCIDB

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Voodoo,

Thanks for the tips. They look like they are worth checking out.

I like the kilt idea, could be on the cards. :D

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 25, 2003
  5. SCIDB

voodoo OdD

As great a place as London can be it does suffer [severly] in comparison to Edinburgh when it comes to Hogmanay and New Year ?

I remember last year when a a few thousand turned up at Trafalger Square; Edinburgh had at least 100x that many people. Granted - if you don't like crowds you find a good bar and stay in it but in Ecosse the pubs are open later ;) :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :MILD: .

SCIDB - trust me, the kilts are a great idea. Best book soon though.

voodoo, Nov 25, 2003
  6. SCIDB

SCIDB Moderator

HI

Nice one Ian. :D

Having been to both cities, I have always enjoyed my time in Edinburgh. I have been during the festival & at new year. I had a rip roaring time. This was in the tail end of the 80's.

I look forward to my visit.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 25, 2003
  7. SCIDB

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Make your way to Glasgow for January 3rd. Watch the Mighty Celt's destroy rangers. Lots of smiling happy faces :D So much joy and love!

You could have made it a double header, with Celtic also playing edinburgh's Hib's on December 27th. But that's in Glasgow too.

MO!, Nov 25, 2003
  8. SCIDB

dunkyboy

Yo Below (the restaurant below Yo Sushi) is a great place to have dinner out with friends - good Japanese food (one of the very few in Edinburgh) and funky atmosphere (the waiters sing karaoke, but they're actually rather good!) It's on Rose Street so could provide the starting point (or end point...?) of a good long pub crawl.

Umm, I've lived here four years, but my brain's refusing to cooperate and I can't think of anything else just now... I'll post back later.

Dunc

dunkyboy, Nov 27, 2003
Ask a Question