The effect of vibration on the music playing system or

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, Oct 16, 2007.

1. zanash

Knightshade

That answers that one then.....:)

Knightshade, Oct 23, 2007
  2. zanash

DavidF

Oh no its not!

DavidF, Oct 23, 2007
  3. zanash

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Yes me. I've played with them in another system (Titians for those that know him) and heard a definate improvement when use on the tubes in his Preamp. They made no difference to his power amp, but they did look nice.

LiloLee, Oct 23, 2007
  4. zanash

DavidF

Mike , I've decided against this course of action for now but thankyou very much for the offer!

Maybe sometime!

:)

DavidF, Oct 26, 2007
  5. zanash

Bob McC living the life of Riley

what a surprise!

Bob McC, Oct 26, 2007
  6. zanash

DavidF

No, its not wimp out if thats what your saying.....there are actually one or two reasons involved....

FWIW, Bob, I don't fear Mikes potential criticism (or SSBs etc) one little bit.

(edit; though a degree of approval would be nice!)

I presume thats what you mean?

(during a conversation with my parents recently it is clear that my Dad could do with a hand on their small holding ...my Dads going on 77...... So nothings going to happen for a bit :))

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2007
    DavidF, Oct 26, 2007
  7. zanash

eisenach

I have no doubt that isolation devices - cones, feet, whatever - work. I first tried six or seven years ago in desperation when trying to sort out a problem that eventually (despite MF checking it over and saying there was nothing wrong with it) turned out to be with the amp.
    Having seen these http://cd-str5.com/eng/start.htm advertised in a German magazine, I thought I'd give them a try. They did absolutely nothing - to solve the problem I had, but wow, did they make my Audiolab 8000 CD player sound better. Everything was more relaxed, more dynamic range, and much better decay to notes - the last note plucked on a guitar could be heard dying away, it was longer!
    I was so impressed, I eventually started importing them into the UK, and over 18 months or so from about 2001, sold quite a few. I submitted them to the magazines and had good reviews, but at £59 a set, I suppose they were just too expensive really to take off. I eventually had to stop, as the advertising costs meant I wasn't making any money, but I don't regret having had a go. I suppose e-bay would be a good way of doing it these days.
    I had a stand at the Northern HiFi show at Manchester Airport and towards the end of the day when it was getting quiet, we played around with them under the amplifiers of a well respected team of manufacturers who used to share a room in those days, not really expecting much, but were all amazed at the difference/improvement we heard.
    Now, I can't differentiate between the theories as to why these things work, especially under amplifiers, but work they do, and if the equipment is sensitive, quite spectacularly. The beauty of the cd-str5s is that the webbing tension can be adjusted so as to balance out uneven weight distribution in the unit, but also giving plenty of opportunity for tweaking to get the optimum tension/isolation setting. Their disadvantage is that they are quite difficult to use, although using cones directly onto the bottom of the unit allows the feet to be placed within the footprint of the unit.
    They were sold on a sale-or-return basis, and I had very few sets back, with several customers coming back for further orders.
    I still use them, of course, under just about everything. They even work under loudspeakers/stands, but that another set of arguments.

eisenach, Oct 27, 2007
  8. zanash

DavidF

Eisenach,

Thanks for that.

Not to fan the flames of a(nother) hotly debated toppic between beleiver and non beleivers, this echoes pretty much my own experiences; has somebody told me I was goign to get the results I have from my equpment, I too, would have been HIGHlY sceptical. Your observations about equipment sensitivity are interesting also. I think probably I would get slightly less response from my brothers heavily built musical fidelity stuff.....though I'd love to try.

AS i say, I know there is work I left from the "summer" months up at my Dads place now pending; with luck my knees will now allow to me to do perhapts a bit more more during my breaks, but cones are inevitably coming last after my M+D....and looking after my own place (+ working nights knocks you for 6).

Eisenach, I DO use them under my speakers , to good effect (IMO).......as you say another (though not disssimilar) subject.

Thats an interesting design BTW, I keep knocking this around my head thinking how I can incorperate it (simply) into my own cones.

DavidF, Oct 27, 2007
  9. zanash

Stereo Mic

I just love to see two accessory salespeople dicussing the merits of their products....

Stereo Mic, Oct 27, 2007
  10. zanash

DavidF

Mike, why always the sneering comment??

Besides, I would have thought I'd decribed my circumstances more than fully enough (in the previous post!) for this to be obviously inaccurate.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2007
    DavidF, Oct 27, 2007
  11. zanash

Stereo Mic

Sorry David - I just find so many posts by people involved in the selling or production of accessories - much like Robbo noted.

Not too long ago people were calling this Zanash'sGain - so much of the content revolved around his "solutions". I guess I am getting tired of reading about products or affects only to find out there is a commercial interest or was somewhere. Sadly it totally devalues the comments and therefore the forum as far as I am concerned. Call me an idealist.

Stereo Mic, Oct 27, 2007
  12. zanash

DavidF

Thats all right Mike.

I hear what you say....

I disagree to an extent, I wanted to experiment with cables (riightly or wrongly) when I first joined ZG, as i've said before Pete was very helpfiul in heping me set my set system up properly .........just with the basics, not any controversial avenues........he was always happy to advise (as I'm sure YOU would be) and even come over to see how it was all going (70 miles or so).

If you are going to sell stuff off a forum, I guess you have to strike a balance of whats acceptable and whats not.

DavidF, Oct 27, 2007
  13. zanash

penance Arrogant Cock

Was it final?

penance, Oct 27, 2007
  14. zanash

eisenach

Not realy fair, as I'm not selling these (anymore!), nor does it recognise my motivation for importing the things in the first place. I don't deny that it would have been nice to have made some money, but it was never a get rich plan! I just wanted these to be better known and available, as they do make a difference. There you are, you see: entirely altruistic;)

eisenach, Oct 28, 2007
  15. zanash

zanash

ho ho .....sounds like your going to burst another blood vessel in your quest to reduce zerogain to your personal hate blog ....

just remember its the writer that has to justify their comments, not the target. Hope you can back up all your comments

happy days

zanash, Oct 28, 2007
  16. zanash

Stereo Mic

Can I ask you Pete, do you have a proper job?

Stereo Mic, Oct 28, 2007
  17. zanash

DavidF

Mike, I think enough has been said here.

FWIW, Eisenach pretty much echoes my own sentiments.

DavidF, Oct 28, 2007
  18. zanash

Stereo Mic

Absolutely David.

So to close, you like Zanash, decided not to submit your cone things for blind testing. What a surprise.

Two tweak merchants. Four requests for product. Four refusals. I somehow feel the "sale or return" policy has failed to stand up to scutiny here.:D

Now I'm sorry if the two of you feel hard done by but you both make money from selling "items" on this forum - there is little argument about that.

Stereo Mic, Oct 28, 2007
  19. zanash

DavidF

you agree?

GOOD!

So, why then another nasty, sneering comment?

We've been through this yersterday, talked about it, didn't we?.

own quote early afternoon yesterday;

"AS i say, I know there is work I left from the "summer" months up at my Dads place now pending; with luck my knees will now allow to me to do perhapts a bit more more during my breaks, but cones are inevitably coming last after my M+D....and looking after my own place (+ working nights knocks you for 6)."

Besides, I think you've answered your own question, to be honest.....

Do I now have a good reason to WANT to send you the cones????

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
    DavidF, Oct 28, 2007
  20. zanash

Shiner

I would have thought, your good reason, was that you can get verification of your products efficacy?

Is that good enough?

Shiner, Oct 28, 2007
Ask a Question