The end of CDPs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Saab, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Saab

Saab

50 quid DVD players from Asda sound the same.

The end

cheers Dave

Saab, Dec 3, 2005
  2. Saab

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Was there a particular point to this post, or are you just trying to stir up a good old flame war?

I-S, Dec 3, 2005
  3. Saab

Saab

Who cares,I'm being forced to watch X Factor,but if an Ipod sounds the same as a 25K CDP,I reckon CDPs are buggered,as is Andy,is he sings another Phil Collins song.

Saab, Dec 3, 2005
  4. Saab

JonR

Dave,

There is a huge sigh of relief across the land tonight.

Andy sang a Nat King Cole song.

Cheers,

Jon

PS: What do you mean "forced" to watch the X-Factor??

PPS: Your opening post was bollocks.

JonR, Dec 3, 2005
  5. Saab

lordsummit moderate mod

I think Dave had been allowed red wine for his tea:) He normally only gets that in the holidays.

He has my sympathies, I got a double dose last night, X-factor followed by I'm a celebrity.

lordsummit, Dec 4, 2005
  6. Saab

anon_bb Honey Badger

Many cdps do sound alike. They use the same dacs, similiar psus, the same filter chipsets and the same output chipsets so its hardly surprising. Solid state will displace cd before too long.

anon_bb, Dec 4, 2005
  7. Saab

Tim F

I find CD players sound very different if you put different cd's in them, I can always tell the difference.

Tim F, Dec 4, 2005
  8. Saab

JonR

I cannot stand "I'm a celebrity.." - you couldn't pay me to watch it.

I have taste, you know.

JonR, Dec 4, 2005
  9. Saab

lordsummit moderate mod

I'm quite looking forward to Space Cadet that starts on Wednesday. How people can be so stupid as to believe they've been sent into space beggers belief.

lordsummit, Dec 4, 2005
  10. Saab

Saab

Hmm,the debate about CDPs versus Ipods will have to wait until I next have wine for tea again.

Of far greater importance is what the hell will Andy sing next week? He has unfortunately used up his ration of Nat King Cole songs.

Anyway,Andy and Brenda will go out next and Journey South will win,but Shane will make most money. If Journey South can wirte any material I might even buy it,i think the Starsky looking one has a highly individual voice.

Saab, Dec 4, 2005
  11. Saab

JonR

Looks dodgey to me tbh. I'm sure that whoever commissioned this show must have had the thought:- "I'm taking a helluva risk with this". Could rebound on C4 quite severely if it all goes pear-shaped.

JonR, Dec 4, 2005
  12. Saab

JonR

Aaaah, I see Mr Saab, this was all a cunning ruse to start a flame war about CD vs solid state under the guise of:- so who should win the X Factor, eh?

Well, in my own very humble opinion, based purely on talent and consistency of performance week on week, Brenda should win outright, but whether winning the X Factor is going to matter much in terms of the remaining contestants' long term recording careers is debatable IMO.

Which one of Journey South looks like Starsky? They both have blonde hair!? If you ask me, the bloke who plays guitar and used to be a plumber has the better voice - but in truth I think they only really work as a double-act anyway.

Whatever Andy gets to sing next week, he should get the sympathy vote, cos he's such a nice bloke and he used to be a bin-man for a livin'.

JonR, Dec 4, 2005
  13. Saab

Anex Thermionic

Saw a few mins for the first time last night, I thought those two blonde guys looked like clones. I hope they don't breed.

Anex, Dec 4, 2005
  14. Saab

Bob McC living the life of Riley

I'm just looking forward to Johnny Vaughan having his head kicked in by the winner when he reveals it was all a con!

Bob McC, Dec 4, 2005
  15. Saab

angi73

apparently they are using the space shuttle from some hollywood big budget flick.

Quite a charade to keep up though.

I hope it's better than that one where there was what to me looked obviously like a tranny, but the guys were competing to get with her, something just didnt look right imho!

angi73, Dec 4, 2005
  16. Saab

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

The end of 50 Damp Squid DVD Players....

Hi,

Even if they did sound the same (I guess they do if your idea of "What I call Music!" is "Now 62"), they are another endangerd species, both due to the revaluation of the RMB (the stuff the chinese use for money these days) and the coming of media centric computers and domesticated versions of the current media center / media server.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Dec 4, 2005
  17. Saab

Stereo Mic

Why should someone who likes Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand and KT Tunstel have inferior hearing to you?

Stereo Mic, Dec 4, 2005
  18. Saab

Hi,

Not a question of hearing, but of music production. If you compress the instruments to near DC levels of dynamic range and run a lot of atrificial sounds there is simply not much left to expose existing differences, except gross deviations in frequency response.

Current Pop Music displays an all time low in production value and sound quality, even beating the early/mid 80's introduction of CD.

L8er T

(BTW, I did buy the exact CD for my wive, I do not "get" Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand OR KT Tunstel, somehow the "musical values" completely pass me by? Is that what some call "noise core"? BTW, she does not "get them" either and she's only 25, not an old codger like me)

3DSonics, Dec 4, 2005
  19. Saab

dudywoxer Regaholic

'scuse me - what is the x factor?

dudywoxer, Dec 4, 2005
  20. Saab

Hi,

A British (Un)Reality TV show similar to Pop Idol, American Idol at al. Glorified Karaoke mostly, some talent is occasinally spotted and mostly reliably elimiated on the spot, this years is a bit better than previous "Idol's" and the like I suffered through in order to please my wife.

The Idea is they take a bunch of somewhat talented nobodies and let them sing on TV for a price of a Record Contract worth 1 Million (basically pocket money in todays Pop Record Market but seeming big to those who do know how that game is played), make $hitloads of money from the Phone Voting lines and advertising/sponsoship, stirr the proverbial heavily between the judges and otherwise try to keep the easily misled on the hook and putting money into the producers pockets.

Some rather excellent recent Pop Artists ended up as rejects on these shows (example Lemar) while the winners gave us such abomination as Garateh Gates and Michelle McManus.

This Years contenstants Brenda and Andy actually have a lot of talent and great voices, but the wrong Image to be big sellers of records aimed at teenagers, the rather talented and high potential in the pop market Maria got chucked out early while a guy who would likely be booed off stage at the local Karaoke Boozer was build up as "Star", but thankfully send home to heard goats again yesterday.

All in all pretty agonising watching if you consider that at the same time the Performance Channel features "Nana Mouskouri sings Jazz" or there is a still unlistened to Weatherreport LP on the shelf.... The things we do for love. :D

Ciao T

3DSonics, Dec 4, 2005
Ask a Question