The Eupen effect...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Aug 12, 2003.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Well, I got a couple of short Eupens off Tone today (cheers mate! :D), interrupting Timpy in the process...

The effect of putting the in the system, even without the Trichord Powerblock is... interesting. Overall there's no real change to the sound that seems apparent. The balance is still as it was, the PRaT is still about as it was...

But then, even at low volumes, there are suddenly subtle details coming out that didn't before. Background vocals are more intelligable (There's been about three songs so far where I've suddenly realised what the words are where they weren't clear before...). There is more texture (the wonderful bowed Double Bass in Beth Orton's "She cries your name" is a good example), and more detail. But it has not detracted from the overall balance. It's not a trade off against the music.

Good. Damn Good. Well worth the money, and the effort to switch the amp over to an IEC inlet.

I-S, Aug 12, 2003
  2. I-S

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hi Isaac,

I cant really say I noticed any difference putting a Eupen on my Rotel, but it does seem to have a positive effect on my DAC and headphone amplifier. I am hopefully gettin a 2m blackcurrent, which also seemed to have a positive effect.

Is it true the longer the power cable, the more effect it has?

:techno: :techno: :techno:

PBirkett, Aug 12, 2003
  3. I-S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Issac, gald to see your enjoying them, for the money, they do so much :) and when you pair them up with the power block, they will be 'In their element', I have tried just one or 2 power cables ;) and they are damn good at this price point.
    Paul has raised a valid question, a lot of manufacturers, do 'Suggest' a minimum 6 foot lenght to 'Reap' full benefit, BULL or FACT, depending on 'HOW' the cable is geared to work maybe?
    Some power cables are designed to improve current flow a little more than stock, but remove a lot more of (high rection qualitites) 'Crap' RF/HF interference, others are just a 'Big Pipe' that do not 'Impede' Juice flow.
    We have tried several of our own (power cables) in various configurations, from 2 to 10 feet in length, Hummm Jury is out on this, again depeneding on kit and configuration, the results were so minimal (to us), but there was a very slight difference
    At home I use A/Z Tsunamia's on the A/V kit, I have several sizes, and I cannot tell an Audiable difference when swopping lengths :eek: (that doesn't mean you guys can't) but as with everthing, check where the power cables have to route, keep it away from all signal/digital cables and if possible as straight as it can go, just common sense really. WM

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2003
    wadia-miester, Aug 12, 2003
  4. I-S

I've got the two eupens, and have one each on the CD and amp. I haven't tried taking one or other out (and probably won't bother...).

Certainly I can see the logic behind the idea that a longer cable should have more of an effect in the case of a cable like the Eupen, which filters RF. However, the ones I have are very short (0.65m or so each) but still do a useful job.

I-S, Aug 12, 2003
  5. I-S

zanash

About ten to fifteen years ago when Eupen appeared on the scene, Farnell supplied the white with the blue strip. There user notes suggested that a lenght of at least 2m was need to produce any meaningful effect. I have tried to find current details of this, but without any sucssess so far.

zanash, Aug 12, 2003
  6. I-S

HenryT

Just in case anybody's interested in ordering some Eupens, or anything else from audusa.com, I've just noticed from looking at their website that they'll be closed for holidays from the 15th to 31st of August inclusive. So get in their if you want something before the end of the month.

Was going to delay putting in my order for two 2 metre 05/2.5 leads (the smaller of the two) until later on this month, but have just decided to put the order through this afternoon... they're destined for the subwoofers.

And anybody interested in ordering any of their silver plated connectors/plugs, they don't currently have any stock and won't do until mid/end September... But you can still order pre-made cables with silver plated connectors, it's just that you can't buy them indvidually at the moment, which is a shame as the 8ft A/Z Tsunamia (this is one stiff and quite solid cable) I ordered over the weekend has just arrived at work and it's been re-terminated with a really sh!te UK plug. :rolleyes:

:)

HenryT, Aug 12, 2003
  7. I-S

merlin

for what it's worth, I prefer to buy PC's with US plugs still attached and change the sockets on your trichord or mains block to US sockets. I believe WM has now fitted US sockets for his rig. seems the sensible way to go long term.

Dipping a toe in the water are you Henry;)

Don't worry, you'll be trying the power of the snakes soon:D

merlin, Aug 12, 2003
  8. I-S

voodoo OdD

Surely UK plugs are better due to the larger contact area and [generally] better construction ?

I've always regarded US plugs as being a bit weedy :confused:.

voodoo, Aug 12, 2003
  9. I-S

Well, It's all personal, me I use the US plugs, why, well just think HOW they work for a moment ;) but it won't be for all I now run all 8 power leads fully us, except the power that go in to the power conditioners. WM

10. I-S

ram Not Registered

I've just won a eupen from ebay for ?38! :D

Can't wait to try it out.
    ________
    HERO HONDA CBZ

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
    ram, Aug 12, 2003
  11. I-S

ANOpax ESL-Meister

Voodoo,

I don't think that UK plugs do have a particularly large contact area. As soon as the plug is partially withdrawn from the socket, contact is broken. That's why unfused 15amp round pins are the plug of choice in the UK. Aside from the benefits of being fuseless, they have a much larger contact area. However, it's much easier to electrocute yourself (I think hippy can confirm or deny this) since the pins remain live while being removed from the socket.

Now, I have no experience of UK vs. US plugs which I understand was the point of your comment. But I just thought I'd point out that despite the chunkiness of UK 13A plugs, they have a small contact area relative to their overall size.

reg

ANOpax, Aug 12, 2003
  12. I-S

voodoo OdD

Interesting :) .

Given that I use shuko's (out here in Europenis) I always thought that the 'beefier' UK plugs would prove to be better. I know the fuses are a contenious issue and the popularity of round pins has certainly grown over the last few year but surely those puny bladed yank plugs have got to be the lowest of the bunch :p :confused: :D ?

voodoo, Aug 12, 2003
  13. I-S

Steve, stick with your Shuko's, they'll do for what your getting :) I'll stick with the puny yank stuff :cool: WM

14. I-S

Just for kicks I've gone through and polished the pins of the mains plugs, the fuses and the fuse holders. Whether it's made any difference I couldn't say, but can't do any harm...

I-S, Aug 12, 2003
  15. I-S

voodoo OdD

Meow ! :D :D :D

voodoo, Aug 13, 2003
  16. I-S

zanash

You should be able to hear a difference after cleaning the pins and fuses......its not huge but it should be there.....a sense of calm, less edge more relaxed presetation that sort of thing.

Did you clean the fuse end caps back to copper ? that will make a bigger diferernce than you'd think.

The three pin plug tends to only make contact with the last 10mm approx of each pin. I'v always wondered what a copper rather than brass plug would sound like ?

zanash, Aug 13, 2003
  17. I-S

voodoo OdD

Surely copper would be oxidisation hell :eek:

voodoo, Aug 13, 2003
  18. I-S

Steve, choose your terminations carefully and the benefits will clearly be heard :) . We've been going on about this for ages.
    Merlin has turned his system into something pretty good now, and how?, by using all those power related items, the difference it gives is more than you can imagine. WM

wadia-miester, Aug 13, 2003
  19. I-S

voodoo OdD

Tone, once the all digital rig is in place [4 weeks mes amis ;)] I'll consider buying a Trichord to remove any gunk. At the mo' my Rotel's are inherintly too noisy to make a judgement call but, having said that, my RA [shudder] yello's and powerblock did make some significant differences when added.

I was actually going to pm you with some Trichord questions but hell - share and share alike :

If I was to purchase a US 110v amp and run it through a Trichord into a 230v Euro outlet could anybody forsee any significant issues realting to dynamics etc. or would it generally be hunky dory ?

(All dependent on the Tichord selected of course ;). )

voodoo, Aug 13, 2003
  20. I-S

Well, I was referring to the power leads acutaly :) Merlin has his own version a Hydra, you would need to use a 'Step down' transformer to achieve this voltage drop, Dynamics arn't a problem for the Trichords :) , though the Tact does need a little help in this area, I feel the Yellow will be need to upgraded though, try an A/z Tsunamia they have good 'Life' giving skills, on the amp with that one or maybe a Shunyata Viper/Python, that gives good results and helps the PRat no end, the digi amps seem to respond better to shit removers :)
    Merlin runs a KC2 on the cdp to great effect, or you could try a Black mamba 2, this will help the CDT2 no end :) worth considering when working out your budget :) It the whole package that counts not just any one item. WM

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2003
    wadia-miester, Aug 13, 2003
Ask a Question