The F1 season 2004

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Markus S, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Markus S

Dev Moderator

Thanks Michael.

Dev, Sep 15, 2004
  2. Markus S

Paul Ranson

More downforce, less sliding, therefore for a given lap time less tyre wear?

But I don't think that's what he's saying. I presume he's referring to 'mechanical grip' which is the old fashioned way of getting cars round corners and essentially boils down to keeping the tyre in the optimal attitude to the road.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 15, 2004
  3. Markus S

Pino Spetzberg

Pino Spetzberg, Sep 16, 2004
  4. Markus S

Dev Moderator

Thanks Pino :D

Dev, Sep 16, 2004
  5. Markus S

IanW

Hi Markus,

"Have you worked out what happened there? I don't think it was Ferrari playing cat and mouse, more likely a question of tires. Bridgestone seem to have overcome last season's performance handicap"

There are a lot of factors. But basically it all boils down to the Bridgestone tyres coming in at that point. They work better in cooler conditions or the Michelin tyres work better in hotter conditions. But on a damp track the BS tyres work worse than the Michelins. It is all down to their operating windows which are very different.

This year the weather at races has been a lot colder than last year which has made the BS tyres look better than last year. The Ferrari is a much better car this year so again the BS tyres look better. Nonetheless we are on the best tyres!

Ian

IanW, Sep 16, 2004
  6. Markus S

IanW

Hi Markus and Merlin,

"I don't think so merlin. At least Barrichello would have had ample opportunity to show off the Ferrari's superiority in earlier races."

This was the first race that they spent most of the race flat out in. They tend to run flat out until they know they have won and then back off to mainatin their awesome reliability record.

Ian

IanW, Sep 16, 2004
  7. Markus S

IanW

Hi Dev,

As far as I am aware the rules are not agreed yet. So who knows what will happen!

Ian

IanW, Sep 16, 2004
  8. Markus S

Saab

forget tyres,Schumacher would win on elastic bands,

Saab, Sep 16, 2004
  9. Markus S

merlin

That was my feeling Ian :(

Looking at the times they can routinely pump in during every 1st Session on Friday, a bystander gets the impression that they are not fully utilising the performance of the car the majority of the time.

Let's be honest, with the exception of the odd race this year where Barricello has just simply not been on it, it has only been extraneous circumstances that have prevented more one-twos, despite Rubens' qualifying positions. In a number of races, safety cars have prevented the inevitable.

So much work to do then :D

merlin, Sep 16, 2004
  10. Markus S

Dev Moderator

That what I thought Ian, but ITV were talking about new rules being implemented next year to increase driver protection and bring in harder tyres etc. I also heard that Ron Dennis has said that the new rules favour Ferrari, which naturally aroused my curiosity ;)

I remember other proposals such new engines (2.4 litre V8s I think), proposal to supply engines free of chrge to competitors, increased minimum weight etc etc being "discussed" earlier in the year. However, most of these could not be implemented without everyone's approval in accordance with the concorde agreement. So when ITV mentioned the new rules which have been agreed I just wondered which specific ones have been agreed and which one will wait until 2007.

Still as clear as mud I'm afraid :confused: :D but the links Pino posted confirmed what you've stated.

Dev, Sep 16, 2004
  11. Markus S

Dev Moderator

OUCH, hitting below the belt Merlin :D

Dev, Sep 16, 2004
  12. Markus S

Dev Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2004
    Dev, Sep 17, 2004
  13. Markus S

Markus S Trade

The German press has the Jaguar team continuing, but with a name change to Ford.

Markus S, Sep 17, 2004
  14. Markus S

Stuart

News on AtlasF1 has Jaguar/Ford/Cosworth pulling out altogether at the end of this year. Ford stating they can't 'make a compelling business case' to continue in the sport. Both the F1 team and Cosworth are now up for sale. Hopefully a buyer will be found. If not, they will simply shut up shop.

Makes for an interesting situation for Jordan and Minardi and perhaps will put the 'affordable' engines thing to the test.

Pretty hectic week in F1 circles all up:
    * Trulli leaves Renault
    * Villeneve tests for Renault and is confirmed as their race driver to replace Trulli for the rest of the season
    * Trulli confirmed at Toyota and commences testing imediately (not not racing this season)
    * Villeneuve signs for 2 years at Sauber from 2005

...and the week is not over just yet...

Stuart, Sep 17, 2004
  15. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Tonight, the German media are confirming that Jaguar/Ford is pulling out. This leaves Jordan and Minardi without an engine.

Eddie Jordan is quoted that he'll be packing it in at the end of the season, too.

This just might be the jolt Formula 1 needs to come to its senses, put much of the politics aside for a moment and come up with some convincing answers about its future. Then again, the bickering may end only when McLaren drop out, too.

Markus S, Sep 17, 2004
  16. Markus S

michaelab desafinado

If Jaguar/Ford, Jordan and Minardi all pull out we'll be left with just 7 teams and 14 cars which is a complete farce. I hope some good comes out of it but I'm not holding my breath :(

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 18, 2004
  17. Markus S

Hodgesaargh

Toyota have said they would be prepared to supply engines to other teams.

Hodgesaargh, Sep 19, 2004
  18. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Eddie Jordan thought he had secured himself Toyota engines for the next season. Then Max Mosley had a quiet word with Toyota and the engine deal fell through. Apparently, Mosley wanted to hold Jordan hostage over the resistance Eddie Jordan showed to a number of rule changes - which Jordan did to get a better deal by holding the whole of F1 hostage.

Just one of the ways in which this whole situation became what it is now.

I can't help thinking that Bernie should allow the back benchers a bit more money from his huge cash flow.

With only seven teams, the big teams have to race three cars each to bolster the starting grid. I feel a furious round of negotiations coming on behind the scenes.

Oh, and my favourite driver Jaques Villeneuve is quoted he sees it as his mission to bring second place in the constructors' championship back to Renault. To the detriment of BAR, of course, BAR being the team he fervently wanted to be a part of last week. Rules of the game, of course, but I still find it mildly repulsive.

Markus S, Sep 19, 2004
  19. Markus S

julian2002 Muper Soderator

if only the races were as exciting....
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 19, 2004
  20. Markus S

michaelab desafinado

F1 has been through a few crises but this one is the first one where I think it could all go really pear shaped. Everyone's had their head in the sand for too long regarding cost-cutting and everyone was playing political games instead of smelling the coffee :(

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 19, 2004
Ask a Question