The F1 season 2004

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Markus S, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Markus S

Dev Moderator

Yes Michael, it does have history but I'm not sure that Monaco would feature in modern racing calendar if it wasn't for all the money. For example look at other street racing circuits that were tried and quickly dropped. I like to think that drivers will enjoy challenges such as Eau Rogue rather than keeping away from the barriers. It's bumpy, slow and without overtaking opportunities.

Dev, Sep 30, 2004
  2. Markus S

michaelab desafinado

I know what you mean, but it's not just the money, it's the history aswell. IMO F1 could do with a few more street circuits. Long Beach, Phoenix and Adelaide weren't dropped because they were street circuits but for other reasons.

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 30, 2004
  3. Markus S

michaelab desafinado

michaelab, Sep 30, 2004
  4. Markus S

stickman

UK - 50 million adults
    China - 500 million adults

Uk - mature market
    China - developing market with huge potential for Western companies.

If you were the power, status and money-obessed controller of a major company dependent on advertising for a lot of its revenue, which would you choose?

stickman, Sep 30, 2004
  5. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Not too fast, it turns out. .65 secs a round slower than Davidson during testing in Jerez. Did not impose himself as a driver for next season, I'd say.

Markus S, Oct 1, 2004
  6. Markus S

michaelab desafinado

stickman you missed out:

UK: tobacco advertising banned
    China: advertise as much tobacco as you like.

As for calls by Jackie Stewart etc. to stump up some cash to help the Silverstone bid I have to disagree. Why should the government help out a sport which is awash with money? If the shortfall really was as little as £2-3m then perhaps some of the wealthier British individuals involved in F1 could do without the latest Gulfstream jet or delay this years yacht upgrade and stump up a bit of their own cash :rolleyes: .

If the government has £2-3m to spend on sports there are sports far more in need of the cash (athletics and swimming for example).

Much as I think Bernie is a greedy bastard and that moving F1 out of its heartland damages the long term future of the sport I do tend to agree with his asessment of Silverstone compared to the flashy new tracks in China, Malaysia and Bahrain.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 1, 2004
  7. Markus S

Dev Moderator

I believe it was purely money. After all, if Bernie had received the asking price of £8.9 million then Silverstone would have been OK for another year. How does paying Bernie £8.9million make the circuit any safer or improve the facilities?

In my view the EU should stand up to F1 and impose the Tobacco advertising ban it's been threatening for so long. If F1 boycotts the European circuits than ban the broadcast of all F1 races. It would be perfectly legitimate because they'd still be carrying Tobacco advertising.

IMO Bernie has too much influence. Why should he have this monopoly? :grrr:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2004
    Dev, Oct 1, 2004
  8. Markus S

Paul Ranson

Flashy tracks are secondary when the bulk of the audience is watching on TV. Silverstone usually produces a good race and some good pictures.

It doesn't really matter, F1 as is will die (is dying), the FIA and Bernie clearly have no idea how to develop it. Something else will come along. Let's hope it's a technical as well as driving challenge.

Paull

Paul Ranson, Oct 1, 2004
  9. Markus S

michaelab desafinado

Unfortunately Paul I think your asessment is probably correct :(

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 3, 2004
  10. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Max Mosley is quoted today saying that Formula 1 can't go on without substantial changes.

He also says he knows of at least one other car company which will also pull out within the next 18-24 month for financial reason, but pretending that it will be because of the proposed 2.4 litre 8 cylinder engines.

Markus S, Oct 5, 2004
  11. Markus S

joel Shaman of Signals

You know what? He was saying exactly the same thing when I was "still" interested in F1. That was quite a long time ago already.
    The big manus never stick around for long anyway.

joel, Oct 5, 2004
  12. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Just about everybody has been saying it for years, but I think I detect a new urgency in Max's utterances.

Ton an extent, the current crisis can be seen as Bernie being hoisted by his own petard. He has worked for decades to sew up F1 into a package under his control. The result is now that nobody but him (and probably Ferrari, Williams and McLaren) makes money out of it. He must realise that he has to allow the others a bit of profit if he wants his business to continue.

Markus S, Oct 5, 2004
  13. Markus S

merlin

BMW?

merlin, Oct 5, 2004
  14. Markus S

analoguekid Planet Rush

those were my thoughts Merlin.

analoguekid, Oct 5, 2004
  15. Markus S

Stuart

Honda has also been making noises about leaving if the 'technical challenge' is diminished, although BMW has a more overt financial risk given their investment in the new v10 enging for the M5. One rather expensive lost marketing opportunity for them if the engine format does change.

Stuart, Oct 6, 2004
  16. Markus S

IanW

Hi Joel,

"Do you think the axing (as now seems more rather than less likely to happen) of the British GP would have an adverse effect on F1?"

Well it is one of the most challenging circuits out there. We don't want to have all circuits being like Sepang, excellent though the circuit is!

Ian

IanW, Oct 10, 2004
  17. Markus S

julian2002 Muper Soderator

maybe they're hoping that bland circuits will allow the drivers to concentrate more on overtaking.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 10, 2004
  18. Markus S

michaelab desafinado

Watched the Jap GP live this morning. Congrats to BAR for sewing up 2nd place in the constructors barring (no pun intended!) a freak result in Brazil.

Seems like it was quite an exciting race with a lot of overtaking and incidents. Shame the atrocious Japanese TV coverage missed all of it and gave us endless boring shots of local boy Sato :rolleyes: . It really is high time Bernie sorted out a dedicated crew that covered every event.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 10, 2004
  19. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Well, thanks to MSC for proving my psychic powers are still fine. After all, I did predict his win.

A good race. Mike, you're right on the button with your complaints about the TV coverage.

Congrats once again to Ian as well. You're all but assured of 2nd place in the constructors' championship. Hope this'll translate into a nice bonus.

Markus S, Oct 10, 2004
  20. Markus S

IanW

Hi Michael and Markus,

"Congrats to BAR for sewing up 2nd place in the constructors barring (no pun intended!) a freak result in Brazil."

Thanks.

We have worked very hard for this. All we need now is a race win!

Will have to wait on the bonus!

Ian

IanW, Oct 12, 2004
Ask a Question