The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Uncle Ants, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Having been listening to Gene Clark's No Other and With the Gosdin Brothers a lot over the last few months, I got hold of a rather lovely sounding 80s German reissue of the 1968 album he did with Doug Dillard.

Wow, this is one gorgeous album. Top notch country rock with a heavy dose of bluegrass. Great tunes, lovely harmonies and wonderful musicianship.

Highly recommended. I was always a bit of a Byrds fan, but having come across Clark's solo work, I personally think that he was the biggest talent of that band and its a bit of a shame that this stuff never reached the prominence of the work of his old band.

Uncle Ants, Jun 14, 2005
  2. Uncle Ants

PumaMan

No Other - Superb, one of my all time favourite albums. I have a few of his other solo albums and they are somewhat patchy in comparison. But hey, he left us with No Other so I wont criticise too much. ;)

A great loss.

A bit like Terry Reid (though he is still with us) in terms of a great talent who never got the recognition or breaks. Though terry did turn down a few himself.

PumaMan, Jul 3, 2005
  3. Uncle Ants

You aren't wrong - No Other is an all time classic. That said of the other two albums of his I have are the Fantastic expedition with Doug Dillard and With the Gosdin Brothers (which frankly sounds like a lost Byrds album - which it should seeing as half of them are playing on it). Both of these I'd rate highly and pretty consistently good - though I can see why many would rate No Other more highly. At the moment I'd say the Fantastic Expedition is my fave, but its the twangiest and I like a bit of twang :D

I know he did some other stuff - which albums have you got? I'm keeping my eyes out for a copy of White Light at the moment.

Uncle Ants, Jul 4, 2005
  4. Uncle Ants

PumaMan

I have 'Echoes' from the Columbia Legacy series. Its 20 trackas or so that were recorded for an album around 66/67 and were never released.

The other is 'Under the Silvery Moon' which is another collection of stuff (outakes and some rough stuff) from the 1980's.

I have to say I havent listened to either of them more than once so they didnt have the impact of No Other. I will however, pop them in the CD player this week as I'm on holiday.

PumaMan, Jul 4, 2005
  5. Uncle Ants

If they are out takes, that might explain a certain amount of inconsistency I guess. That said - Echoes was the European title of "With The Gosdin Brothers", but a google search tells me that what you have is some remixes from this album plus a load of out takes, which would certainly explain the inconsistency - the original was only a ten track album.

Uncle Ants, Jul 4, 2005
  6. Uncle Ants

space cadet Far out...

I can highly recommend his collaboration with Carla Olson called 'So rebellious a lover' which I think has been re-issued recently.

space cadet, Jul 19, 2005
Ask a Question