The future, present, of audio...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lowrider, Dec 3, 2003.

1. lowrider

lowrider Live music is surround

Of course most people buy surround, or is it AV, because of helicopters, earthquakes and car chases, and I enjoy that too, but surround started just for music, and I use it most with music, including stereo with DPLII... :rolleyes:

lowrider, Dec 4, 2003
  2. lowrider

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Sorry Antonio. I guess that my 'irony caked in irony' is a bit confusing. Music rules.

7_V, Dec 4, 2003
  3. lowrider

michaelab desafinado

binaural recordings through headphones are indeed spookily realistic. In the late 80s Radio 4 occasionally broadcast radio plays in binaural with sound effects etc and it was unbelievably good. I guess the restriction of having to use headphones put the dampers on it because it seems to have all but disappeared :(

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 4, 2003
  4. lowrider

Matt F

You don't work at Dixons at weekends do you? ;)

:eek: "Roll up, roll up, get yer virtual surround-sound TV - no need for extra speakers and messy cable - this does it just as well."

Joking aside, yes, surround sound is possible with binaural and, as you say, can be quite spooky. With just two conventional speakers? No, don't buy it - you want sound to come from behind you then you need speakers back there - simple as that.

Okay, so you get some sound bouncing around the room but if you want to try to recreate the acoustics of something other than your room then, as Antonio says, you need those rear speakers.

Matt.

Matt F, Dec 4, 2003
  5. lowrider

michaelab desafinado

Matt,

These guys might beg to differ :) I was also trying to find a link to another single speaker surround system which was much more expensive (something like £10K :eek: ) and it was a relatively large panel with hundreds of tiny drivers which could direct the sound individually. I'm not sure of the Niro technology is the same but people who have heard it say it is pretty impressive. I don't see that it's impossible at all to be able to create proper surround sound by bouncing sounds off walls etc.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 4, 2003
  6. lowrider

michaelab desafinado

Just to add that the Niro 1 (like above) is not the product of some wannabe startup or college grad who thinks he has a cool idea or the latest thing from the "Innovations" catalogue :rolleyes: - the guy behind it is Niro Nakamichi, yes, the Nakamichi.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 4, 2003
  7. lowrider

voodoo OdD

Anybody remember a particular episode of Tomorrow's World that had some very weird surround format on it ?

Radio 1 did a broadcast using it and it was VERY strange. You'd be in another room and it would sound as if it was being generated in the room you're standing in; not from the source in the other room :confused: :eek: :MILD: .

voodoo, Dec 4, 2003
  8. lowrider

Then, every time you have more people in the room, move furniture, hang more pictures or other stuff, you have to calibrate the system again, plus it only works "properly" from the sweet spot... :rolleyes:

lowrider, Dec 4, 2003
  9. lowrider

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Told you so ;)

technobear, Dec 4, 2003
  10. lowrider

michaelab desafinado

How do you know? Have you tried it? :p If it can replicated the effect of having a rear speaker then it won't be any more affected by room changes than a normal 5.1 setup - the same goes for the sweet spot.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 4, 2003
  11. lowrider

I know because I read tests... :p

5.1 properly setup has a large listening area, one of its great advantages, that's why there is a center channel, of course if the surround speakers are close to the listening position you will have a small sweet spot... :JPS:

lowrider, Dec 4, 2003
  12. lowrider

HenryT

Could you be thinking of Pioneer's Digital Sound Projector? :) I had a mental image of the product in my head but couldn't even think of who the manufacturer was (until I flicked through this month's Hi-Fi News - they've got a pic on the introductory page to their Heathrow Hi-Fi Show write-up).

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_4159_48023,00.html

http://www.1limited.com/news/2002.10.08.html

http://www.kaurus.com/audio/pdfs/pdsp.pdf

If I were ever to get back into home cinema (a big if ATM as I'm still very happy throwing all the money at my two channel audio/music only set-up :D ), I'd probably like to have one of those units or something similar, saves having lots of speakers everywhere. :)

Having not ever heard this multi-eyed monster, I'd probably just setttle for 4 Quad ESLs - the ESLs are so coherent and have such a big big sweet spot that you just don't need centres. ;)

HenryT, Dec 4, 2003
  13. lowrider

I just finished listening to Chopin's piano concertos and Beethoven's ninth synfony, using DPLII, even though I sat to the side of the room, I still had a very coherent image of the orchestra, in stereo I mostly heard the left speaker... :rolleyes:

Not to mention feeling like beeing in a much larger room than mine... :p

lowrider, Dec 4, 2003
  14. lowrider

michaelab desafinado

Yep - that's the one. Thanks Henry :) I thought it was Pioneer but couldn't find any links.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 4, 2003
  15. lowrider

Andrew L Weekes

Surround from two speakers

For an interesting dem of what's possible, a listen to the first track of the OTT album 'Blumenkraft' is fascinating.

There's an opening sequence involving someone getting into a car and driving away, the final sound comes totally from behind my head and moves across from one side to another, really wierd and spooky.

The effect is slightly 'phasey' sounding, which is obviously how it's acheived, but it's very effective, for a special effect.

Rather listen to music, personally, it's a great album BTW ;)

Andy

Andrew L Weekes, Dec 4, 2003
Ask a Question