The Gadget Show

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by leonard smalls, Jun 15, 2004.

1. leonard smalls

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Anyone see it last night?
    They pitted an "entry level" hifi (Linn Klassik and little Linn speakers) against an "ultimate" hifi (Linn cd12 plus a plethora of power amps and those bikg Linn speakers against a live singer.
    It was funny, that even through my 2" TV speaker I could hear the difference..
    The entry system was boxy, the ultimate less boxy and the singer not at all boxy.
    Great advert for Linn though - but typical of those programmes (and mags of the "Stuff" variety) to just test a complete one make system. I reckon some freebies must have changed hands ;)

leonard smalls, Jun 15, 2004
  2. leonard smalls

merlin

Missed it:( I heard about it today from a workmate. Bet Tones will be along to tell us how he could not hear any difference through his Sony Trinitron 21"

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2004
    merlin, Jun 15, 2004
  3. leonard smalls

tones compulsive cantater

I presume you mean The Other One, Merlin. We don't get The Gadget Show in Swizzieland and I don't own a Sony TV of any description. I guess it depends on how many Omiga cables were involved (at either end).

tones, Jun 15, 2004
  4. leonard smalls

merlin

And you call yourselves a civilised nation:eek:

merlin, Jun 15, 2004
  5. leonard smalls

batfink

I could still tell the difference, even on my 14" portable!

What was the singer's name - he had a great sounding voice (I know he was Scottish, but that's as far as it goes!)

batfink, Jun 15, 2004
  6. leonard smalls

Did we? When?

tones, Jun 15, 2004
  7. leonard smalls

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Must say I was impressed with the facility and had no idea they built weapons!

I was also interested in how the milled the casings, presumably there is something they can do with all the metal they cut off?

garyi, Jun 15, 2004
  8. leonard smalls

wolfgang

wolfgang, Jun 16, 2004
  9. leonard smalls

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

Gary,

The swarth (sp?) from the milling will be collected and recycled back into new billets.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Jun 16, 2004
  10. leonard smalls

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Tones,
    I'm afraid even with the power of foo foo, some things are just beyond help :(

wadia-miester, Jun 16, 2004
  11. leonard smalls

That bad, eh?

tones, Jun 16, 2004
  12. leonard smalls

Jeremy

I just saw it while I was eating breakfast this morning. They were playing that systen in a really trendy minimalist style room with lots of glass and a bare wooden floor infront of the speakers. It must have sounded horrible with anything other then the vocal music they played.

And yes the differences were quite noticable between the 3 on our little breakfast room 14". I preferred the live singer though. Still a good bit of tv though.

Jeremy, Jun 16, 2004
  13. leonard smalls

Hex Spurt

Saw it...made me laugh. Especially the bit where the reviewer basically said that the entry level system is crap - then they finish off the program with competition where you can win the 'crap' system. :ffrc:

Oh, forgot to mention they are charging £1 per entry too. Class ;)

Regards

Hex

Hex Spurt, Jun 16, 2004
  14. leonard smalls

wolfgang

You have one more chance to watch it tonite.

Got it tape simply to see it what is it all about. I could not help but imaging what other people would think about geeks like us. My brother came for a visit last weekend. Since he only has a passing interest in hifi only I have in the past subjected him to all sort of listening comparison thinking he would be neutral.

He finally admit that when it come to certain things like my expensive audiophile speaker cable he simply lied claiming to heard a difference when there is none. He says he doesn't wish to hurt my feelings............

Oh well. Do you think I should forgive him? :D

wolfgang, Jun 18, 2004
  15. leonard smalls

ditton happy old soul

" ... one of Scotland favourite folk singers, Ian Bruce"

might watch the repeat tonight - listening might be affected by evening pints though.

ditton, Jun 18, 2004
  16. leonard smalls

dunkyboy

Don't suppose anyone could rip it to DIVX or something and send it my way....?

Sometimes (just sometimes) I wish I had a telly....

Dunc

dunkyboy, Jun 18, 2004
  17. leonard smalls

wolfgang

You are not really missing that much. They have 2 systems based on Linn electronics. One a Classik with a pair of Takan. Then another based on the Unidisk, a few of their top end pre/amplifiers and Komri. They then record a professional singer (without any instruments accompliment). Play it back thro the 2 systems and also ask him to stand between one of the pair of speakers for one presenter to see if he could indeed really identify the differences and demonstrate if all these hifi toys are worth it.

To make it more convincing they also blindfold him. He seems to be able to tell fairly easily enough.

If you read my previous discussions that I get involve in, you might realize I do like to make fun of some people in the forum who don't believe in any form of blind listening test. That is the real motive why I drawn some more interest to this programme. Hoping to start them off again. :D

wolfgang, Jun 20, 2004
Ask a Question