The Hi-Fi Show - Sunday 4th March 2012

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by HiFiWigWam, Sep 16, 2011.

1. HiFiWigWam

HiFiWigWam Number 6

Hopefully some of you will already be aware that there will be another Scalford hifi show next year. The web site is being updated as we speak
    http://www.thehifishow.com/

Just to let you know, if any of you would like to exhibit next year (and we would really love to get some Audio Smilers along) then you need to get your name down on the Spreadsheet.

The information you need to register an interest is here:
    http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthrea...-It-s-the-Scalford-2012-exhibitor-spreadsheet

Hope to see more Audio Smile names on the spreadsheet soon. I will check back here in case anyone has problems accessing the Wam etc.

Regards,
    James.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011
    HiFiWigWam, Sep 16, 2011
  2. HiFiWigWam

RobHolt Moderator

I've registered to exhibit at the show along with Simon.
    Naturally nothing Audiosmile since this is not a trade event.

The dem will be along the lines of 'all you can eat for under a grand', and with that in mind we'll have a simple little system consisting of:

Quad 34/FM4/405-2
    Heybrook HB2 (the originals and best versions)

Source will be iTunes and Spotify (if we get sufficient 3g capacity) over Airplay into Airport Express. No additional dac. So hopefully we'll have a vast library of music :)

I've tried the above combo and IMO it makes a cracking little system for about £800 (excluding the phone).

So assuming we get accepted (its a very long list!) - see you all there.

RobHolt, Oct 15, 2011
  3. HiFiWigWam

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Rob,

Glad you have signed up. I have done this show since the start. It is great fun.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 15, 2011
  4. HiFiWigWam

Tenson Moderator

Looking forward to it :)

Is it something we can only bring one system to? There are obviously quite a few choices for about £1k and I think there are some other nice ways to go.

Tenson, Oct 15, 2011
  5. HiFiWigWam

RobHolt Moderator

I think that practically, given a 10am start and 5pm finish and only one day its best to just set up and play. You can then spend the day listening and chatting to all those folk who frequent the forums and put faces to the names.
    You'll also want to have a mooch around the other rooms - its quite unlike other shows with a strong emphasis on vintage kit, or at least not stuff that is currently available.

RobHolt, Oct 15, 2011
  6. HiFiWigWam

speedy.steve

Getting near now...

Roped in by other wammers (ok I did not need that much persuasion), Mr Coco and I will be in a big room.
    The 5 ways (all ~400kg of birch ply, drivers & crossovers of them), a bit of LF room correction (as needed), 5 small amps, a TVC, and a Voyd reference, AN silver tone arm / strain gauge cartridge are on the menu. There will also be some CD spinning too.

Gonna be interesting as I have no idea how it will all perform in a big room.

We have a big van, heavy duty sack trolleys and a 4 wheeled cart trolley to help things along.

I'll be brining wood glue too in case we drop something.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012
    speedy.steve, Feb 9, 2012
  7. HiFiWigWam

Dev Moderator

Steve, if I do manage to attend, it'll be to see your babies.

Dev, Feb 10, 2012
  8. HiFiWigWam

speedy.steve

Look forward to it Dev. If you do bring some great stuff to play - We will have to play Austrian Death machine at least once so something to balance that out would be great...

speedy.steve, Feb 12, 2012
  9. HiFiWigWam

RobHolt Moderator

Same here. I won't be taking a room this year but will hopefully be along for a listen.

I think these horns must be the listen of the show.

RobHolt, Feb 12, 2012
  10. HiFiWigWam

Dev Moderator

Do you need a lift Rob?

Dev, Feb 12, 2012
  11. HiFiWigWam

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Rob,

I don't know if you know that you have been offered a room to dem a system at the Scalford show. You were on the subs bench but others have dropped out.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 12, 2012
  12. HiFiWigWam

RobHolt Moderator

Yes please :)

Hi Dean,

I saw that but i've declined the room.
    A few reasons but I'd really liked to have set up the night before but the hotel is now fully booked. Also my partner in crime for the day Simon will be in Korea (I know poor excuse ;) ).
    But aside from that there are lots of people i'd like to visit on the day.

RobHolt, Feb 12, 2012
  13. HiFiWigWam

speedy.steve

No pressure then:) - Of course they could be the listen of the show just to confirm - what a waste of time and effort, but I hope not

speedy.steve, Feb 12, 2012
  14. HiFiWigWam

speedy.steve

It's confirmed that we have the Quorn which is an 88 squ metre room with 2.7m ceiling.
    Plenty of room for the horns to project into and I can try different placement for the tapped horns - nearer / along side wall perhaps lying down as well as usual off to the sides.
    My lowest horn efficiency is the tapped horn at 105dB/w with just a side wall radiation, in a corner they are 110dB/w.

The rest are 110dB/w for the mid bass and ~115dB/w for the mid and upper mid.
    Ribbon tweeters are 111dB/w on the tap I am using.

I should be able to make some noise anyway and as the drivers are designed to power commercial applications I am not concerned about that, perhaps as I would be with a small pair of inefficient speakers in a room that size ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2012
    speedy.steve, Feb 15, 2012
Ask a Question