The Interspace has landed ....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by robert_cyrus, Feb 16, 2005.

1. robert_cyrus

robert_cyrus

big box arrived this morning

[​IMG]

with something inside

[​IMG]

removed styrofoam

[​IMG]

and here she is

[​IMG]

the counterweight had moved during transit, so the downforce was way off. kevin @ definitive is sending me a scale, so i can set it my self @ 1.5, so for now she's resting from the trip from nottingham.

more to follow .....

robert_cyrus, Feb 16, 2005
  2. robert_cyrus

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Hi Robert,

Cool. Didn't know they did a version with the platter in faux marble as well.

Uncle Ants, Feb 16, 2005
  3. robert_cyrus

michaelab desafinado

I have to say, that faux blue marble is simply horrid :chunder: - there is no other word for it. It would put me off buying one even if it was the best TT in the world. Is that the only choice you have of finish?

Sorry Robert, didn't want to piss on your bonfire, whatever floats yer boat an'all that :)

Michael.

michaelab, Feb 16, 2005
  4. robert_cyrus

julian2002 Muper Soderator

looks better than those atc's ;)
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 16, 2005
  5. robert_cyrus

robert_cyrus

:cry: 2nd hand, so that's how it is.
    i happen to like it.

robert_cyrus, Feb 16, 2005
  6. robert_cyrus

Heya Michael - I was trying to be polite :) but am afraid it wouldn't be for me. I think it must be an older model - I also know its available in piano black from this thread over on PFM
    , which I have to say really looks quite classy.

My only prob with my Spacedeck was the faux marble plinth (handily, not actually needed on the space and hence now residing in the attic).

Uncle Ants, Feb 16, 2005
  7. robert_cyrus

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

What are you standing your Spacedeck on? It's something I've not experimented with yet.

The faux marble plinth is actually far less extreme in the flesh than most pictures indicate – mine is far, far darker than the pic above implies. I'd have gone for black (or even white!) given the choice, but likewise mine is a second hand deck.

Tony.

TonyL, Feb 16, 2005
  8. robert_cyrus

Homemade laminated MDF platform on squishy rubber feet (that came in the box with my speakers) - the laminate is the same as the big shelf which forms the top of the unit that the platform is sitting on and the same as the identical homemade platform the amp next to it is sitting on, so it just looks like a double thick wooden shelf. Its what I had my old Focus One sat on, I've had em years.

Frankly it doesn't sound any different with or without and when I asked NAS about it they said the plinth wasn't required so long as you sited it somewhere reasonably well isolated (but not glass, they said). In fact they said they sold it with the plinth mainly because the far eastern market likes their decks to look chunky. They'll also do different finshes (such as piano black) ... a new plinth (should you want one) was about £80 I think.

Auntie Ants said the deck could stay so long as the plinth went ... so the plinth went and I can't say I regret it. The deck is visually much neater without I think. Much more like an Orbe SE or other skeletal decks.

PS. When we move into the new house I'm retiring the MDF thing and will probably do something similar with an exra thick ply shelf and two matching ply bases in the alcove between the wall and chimney breast. I think ply was one of Tom Fletchers suggestions - like I said he didn't feel it made a lot of difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2005
    Uncle Ants, Feb 16, 2005
  9. robert_cyrus

joel Shaman of Signals

The plinth is fine in the flesh. As Tony says, it is a lot darker than the photos seem to indicate.

joel, Feb 17, 2005
  10. robert_cyrus

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Robert - looking forward to reading what you think of it when you have it working.

I also like my marble effect and wouldnt want to change it (its a greeny tint on mine).

bottleneck, Feb 17, 2005
  11. robert_cyrus

robert_cyrus

hi chris, doubling up on threads now, have solved fluff fluff noise from motor by pulling off pulley and putting it back on again (suggestion from Adam @ NAS) and have set up the downforce with a shure gauge sent/lent to me by kevin @ definitive (damn fiddly exercise that was !)

so it's working ! need a proper turntable level though, have done the best i can with a very small spirit level, but needs finer adjustment.

found some here http://www.leveldevelopments.com/ will phone tomorrow for costs, look like same thing as the clearaudio but hopefully cheaper. will report back ....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2005
    robert_cyrus, Feb 17, 2005
  12. robert_cyrus

PeteH Natural Blue

Thoroughly agreed. Similar to but not quite as bad as my Sennheisers, the finish of which is pretty much the tackiest thing I've ever clapped eyes on (it's a mercy you can't see it while you're using them).

PeteH, Feb 17, 2005
  13. robert_cyrus

Goomer

Hi Robert

Interesting looking link, thank you. I was particularly impressed with some of the 2 axis levels - very nice looking machining and accuracy levels, and I wouldn't be surprised if you could get one that weighs about the same as a bit of vinyl(not that that matters too much on a non-suspended deck. The little aluminium circular ones look very similar to the one that comes with the Naim Aro, and I always thought that did a pretty good job.

Nice looking deck too, and glad to hear you now have it playing music. FWIW, I have a faux marble Spacedeck and think it looks pretty sweet, so ignore the nay-sayers.

Looking forward to hearing back from you about leveldevelopments. All the best,

Chris.

Goomer, Feb 18, 2005
  14. robert_cyrus

lordsummit moderate mod

You can get a levelling bubble from B+q for about £2.50. You don't need to pay the prices that the bit shops charge!

lordsummit, Feb 18, 2005
  15. robert_cyrus

robert_cyrus

http://www.leveldevelopments.com/ said no ! they sell to industry and wouldn't sell me a single vial.
    search continues (thanks for b&q suggestion, will take a look later).

robert_cyrus, Feb 18, 2005
  16. robert_cyrus

This is true (at least with my plinth). The round plinth proper on my spacedeck is in the same finish and to be honest because you only see a bit of it edge on, you'd have to look close not to think it was black. Of course the big plinth you see a lot more of but Auntie A's objection was as much to do with with the sheer bulk of the thing as its faux marbleness. Mind you I think her objections were also partly down to it replacing the Focus One, which is the prettiest thing on three feet (which she has now blagged for her office/studio)

Uncle Ants, Feb 18, 2005
  17. robert_cyrus

Next time you are on the phone to NAS, ask nicely and they might send you a little level - NAS decks come with one as standard I believe (at least mine did in the bag of bits that came with it - mine was secondhand too, but came with a level, alan key and a bottle of bearing oil). One of the plastic vial type levels shown on the right in the level developments site.

Uncle Ants, Feb 18, 2005
  18. robert_cyrus

robert_cyrus

ok, i've found the company that makes the vial that goes inside one of these:
    [​IMG]
    i would need to buy 10 vials, and i only need 1, so ....

if anyone is interested, pm me and i'll let you know costs. let's just say the vial is a small fraction of the whole thing.

19. robert_cyrus

robert_cyrus

thanks, will try to blag the bit i'm missing, forgot to ask for a "manual" such as it is.

have been playing the classic vinyl vs cd game. another brick in the wall part 2. cant really choose between them, the cd seems to have a bit more drive possibly.

the cd is cheating, though, it's plugged into an isotek minisub, and it has an a/z silver ref interconnect.
    the t/t is using the phono stage of my cyrus integrated, which is doing ok, but isn't dedicated. and the vdh 102 interconnect is ok, but not the best.

i know, i shouldn't worry about such things, and just get on with the music. i guess i just wanted the t/t to kick serious butt in the cd dept.

20. robert_cyrus

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

time to ask Santa to start saving for a phono stage? :D

bottleneck, Feb 18, 2005
Ask a Question