The Killers - Hot Fuss

Discussion in 'General Music' started by michaelab, Oct 18, 2004.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Hot Fuss indeed - what exactly is the fuss about this album?

I bought it because I thought the cover looked cool and there were snippets from two reviews on the cover:

"Utterly irresistable. It's hard to imagine why they wouldn't be anyone's favourite new band." The Times

Err...NO it isn't.

"A classic debut, destined to become one of those unifying albums which everyone plays to death" The Independent on Sunday

Errrr.....WRONG again.

So some anglophile lads from the US put together some 80's synth chords and songs that sound like The Cure meets The Smiths and that's great is it? If this band had actually existed in the 80s I doubt they would have even appeared on the radar but suddenly there's an 80s revival and any 80s style band gets rave reviews from journalists who were probably having their first crush in the 80s and can't get enough of it.

OK, at least it's better than 90% of the manufactured pop that's out there these days and a few of the songs are reasonably catchy and tolerable to listen to but I simply can't grasp where those rave reviews come from. Mediocre at best IMO. My wife loves it though :rolleyes: (she's into everything 80s though).

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 18, 2004
  2. michaelab

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I have never heared the album but their songs always go down well in clubs. I missed their gig in Manchester I had tickets to because I was in hospital but I have been told they are very good live. Over hyped? Probably.

amazingtrade, Oct 18, 2004
  3. michaelab

space cadet Far out...

I like the 'I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier' bit...

space cadet, Oct 18, 2004
  4. michaelab

Gambit Junior Vice President

Mr Brightside is something of a classic whenwe're out drinking - we've had it for a while down the local and we know the DJ sort of thing. Great drunk song.

Gambit, Oct 24, 2004
  5. michaelab

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I couldnt possibly consider buying it. I dont even have all of Kraftwerks albums yet.

bottleneck, Oct 30, 2004
  6. michaelab

I have just bought this album and I am very impressed. I have also got tickets (for the second time, but the first time I will get to see them.

There is a very British influence there, the guitar almost sounds like Hooky could be playing it, the electronic stuff is Kraftwerk influence although millions of artists have been influnced by them. What I like about this album is its quite experemental there is not many tracks on there as a filler

amazingtrade, Nov 22, 2004
  7. michaelab

Yep I have heared every single one of these tracks played in the manc indie clubs. The sound is very much the based on the whole manc indie theme though, It dosn't really sound american at all.

amazingtrade, Nov 22, 2004
  8. michaelab

Fanny Batter

Fanny Batter, Nov 23, 2004
Ask a Question