The latest happy S300 owner

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PeteH, Jul 8, 2004.

1. PeteH

PeteH Natural Blue

Well folks, I've finally got round to buying myself a NAD S300 integrated amp after talking about it for months and months (thanks again stumblin).

First impressions? Big, open, effortless sound, with a frightening dynamic range compared with my old Marantz 6010KI. Not a lot more by way of actual detail dug up (which is probably a tribute to the resolving power of the 6010KI, IMO highly impressive for a £400 amp), but seemingly more refined at the top end - results in a bit more perceived air and space in pop records, and (the biggie as far as I'm concerned) a much more convincingly natural timbre in orchestral music. I was a bit surprised by this - was expecting the big difference to be in low-end control, and while there are some gains there it's not as much of a difference as with the treble.

And f*** me it's big and heavy. :D Looks the absolute business though - it's got the kind of presence it's worth paying for even if it didn't make any noise. :)

Hopefully there's a picture somewhere if I haven't cocked it up somehow :confused:. Edit: Ah, there it is. :cool: Edited again: for spelling :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2004
    PeteH, Jul 8, 2004
  2. PeteH

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Hope you're happy with it.

BTW, if you want to get an even finish on the front panel, clean it with a v. mild detergent solution, then wipe down with GT85 or WD40.

I-S, Jul 8, 2004
  3. PeteH

PeteH Natural Blue

Cheers - although most of the grain is actually my ultra-rubbish camera (compounded by the effects of extra-robust compression as I wasn't sure how much space I had to play with).

PeteH, Jul 8, 2004
  4. PeteH

PeteH Natural Blue

All you S300 owners out there: how's yours for humming, and can you do anything about it? This one hums at a mildly annoying kind of level - you'd notice it between tracks, although if you're listening at any kind of reasonable level it's comfortably drowned out even in the quiet bits (classical listener here).

PeteH, Jul 11, 2004
  5. PeteH

penance Arrogant Cock

Pete,
    Maybe a mains problem?

penance, Jul 11, 2004
  6. PeteH

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Common mode problem Pete?,

wadia-miester, Jul 11, 2004
  7. PeteH

GrahamN

Interesting comments. I think that (at least for us classicos), improvements at the bottom end are quite simple: an adequate amount of power required but blistering speed is not really an issue as it's not relevent to "real" instruments, which take time to speak and die away. The big difference for us in a quality amp is, as you've noticed, the top end refinement, for getting the timbre and avoiding muddying up the sound in a reasonable sized orchestra.

As for the hum, you could try isolation transformers etc to see if a DC component to the supply is causing a problem, but it could just be the construction of the transformers. I have the same on mine, and while it was quite annoying to start with, you get used to it and your perception of it goes away (until you actually switch the amp off, when you realise what was there all along). The biggest problem is of course in low volume pieces (to which I do listen quite a bit, even if that would shock W-M) - e.g. some Morton Feldman stuff, a few string quartets, and of course the end of Beethoven Op 111 :( .

GrahamN, Jul 11, 2004
  8. PeteH

bart

Pete, don't you get an impression that the top end is slightly muted with S300? I auditioned it twice, every time with different set of speakers and the strings seemed a little less bright and lively than with other amps (I'm also a "classical guy").

bart, Jul 11, 2004
  9. PeteH

PeteH Natural Blue

I was sort of wondering that actually - I was getting the impression it was ever-so-slightly recessed and have found myself turning the volume up more than I would have previously. I guess the Marantz I had may have been a bit screechy by comparison - plus the sound overall is so lush and inviting now that it just demands to be played loud.

Isaac, Jackthebiscuit and others on here have commented that their NADs hum too, so I don't think there's anything wrong with my unit - plus it had been serviced by Lenbrook while in stumblin's hands and still hummed afterwards. It's just a slightly noisy design - if your put hand on it you can feel it vibrating gently too.

Graham, you're probably right about the bass business for acoustic music - maybe that's why I've never understood the "PRaT" thing... The Marantz 6010KI is a bit idiosyncratic and oddly balanced - it sounds like there's a "hole" in the midbass and can sound a bit thin and flat overall - but it gave loads of detail and pretty well articulated bass through the Quads so that may contribute to my impressions of the NAD.

PeteH, Jul 11, 2004
  10. PeteH

sanj follow the tao

Graham, could you say more about where u can try out isolation transformers, as I get an intermitent hum on my (unico amp's) toroidal.

ta
    sanj

sanj, Jul 11, 2004
  11. PeteH

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I have 2 suggestions, here mount the transformer on a resin plinth, remove all traces of ferrous metal fixings, Oh and Cryo it. You may be surprised at the results :)

wadia-miester, Jul 11, 2004
  12. PeteH

The S300 does hum at a noticeable level. Just the way it is. Probably not helped by having two transformers, which may incite some sort of resonance in one another.

I wouldn't say the top end was muted on mine, but more mid-range prescence would be nice.

I-S, Jul 11, 2004
  13. PeteH

PeteH Natural Blue

:lol: ;)

PeteH, Jul 11, 2004
  14. PeteH

rewster

? 3 days in, and you want to change the amp? Did you listen before you bought this amp Pete H?

rewster, Jul 11, 2004
  15. PeteH

PeteH Natural Blue

Where did I say I want to change the amp?! :confused:

And no, I didn't listen before I bought it - I couldn't get to the seller (it was picked up by a third party), and I didn't want to waste a dealer's time. If I wanted to change it I could sell it on, but I actually really like it :)

PeteH, Jul 11, 2004
  16. PeteH

rewster

Pete H,

Thank God for that, I thought I felt a disturbance in the force and a hint of indecision creeping in! What with the buzzing transformer and the slight reccession on the go it appeared to be adding up badly. I have only owned one bit of NAD kit, but thought it really good value for money, and was a little surprised to find the amp was not obviously of the 'instantly chuffed' type review.

rewster, Jul 11, 2004
  17. PeteH

The S300 isn't an "instantly chuffed" bit of kit. It's one of those ones that takes a little settling with, but you'd miss it when it was gone.

I-S, Jul 11, 2004
  18. PeteH

PeteH Natural Blue

Sorry, I guess I'm just not naturally effusive :) . It seems a bit more laid back than the Marantz I had before, that's all, but in a good way - with loads more air and space and naturalness. The hum's only a little annoying because at the moment I keep straining and wondering if I can hear it - not because I actually can hear it, if you see what I mean. Realistically it's not a problem if I just stop worrying about it - and the system does sound pretty damn fantastic to me now FWIW.

I was never all that excited by the Classic Series NAD amps, though they're nice enough - friends of mine have a C320 and a C370 - but the S300 is a completely different beast altogether. And to be honest, ever since I clapped eyes on a picture of them about three years ago I've been irrationally obsessed with owning an S500 / S300 combination - it's nice when things work out. :D

PeteH, Jul 11, 2004
  19. PeteH

rewster

I can see some Neat's or FB1's hoving into view next!

rewster, Jul 11, 2004
  20. PeteH

PeteH Natural Blue

Get behind me!!! I've taken enough abuse at home over the amount I've spent over the last six months getting this lot together - that's it until at least 2006. :p

FB1s were one of my original speaker targets but to be honest I fell in love with the Quads when I heard them - and I don't think I'm missing all that much in terms of deep bass at least (Paul Messenger or whoever it was at HFC this month measured the 22Ls in their room at -6dB @ 25Hz :cool: ). And to be honest I always take the view that if you're doing an upgrade, you may as well do an upgrade - the next time I buy speakers is when I've got £2k to spend on them. At least. :D

PeteH, Jul 11, 2004
Ask a Question