The legendary Tannoy Autograph's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mondie, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Mondie

Mondie

Stumbled onto these tonight;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pr-Tannoy-15...NameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122

As a fan of the Westys l wonder just how these sound? They use original 15" Red DC's and clones of the original crossovers. The cabinet construction looks incredibly complex to this DIY cIux. l don't think the price is too bad either compared to the cost of a new pair of Westminster's.

Any Zerogainers heard these, or been lucky enough to listen to an original Autograph, or maybe even a pair? l asked the seller if it was possible to demo but apparently not, built to order only.

Cheers,
    mondie

Mondie, Aug 1, 2008
  2. Mondie

Dev Moderator

Dev, Aug 1, 2008
  3. Mondie

joel Shaman of Signals

I've listened to reproductions (new cabs and xovers with original drivers) at some length. Even managed an AB against a JBL Paragon once, which was interesting to say the least.
    I think the first thing to get out of the way is that they are coloured. But what colouration: a beautiful golden halo that envelops the music and makes everything sound absolutely gorgeous.
    It's like listening to Klimt.
    There is the solidity and sense of ease you expect form big Tannoys, a feeling of naturalness and, despite the golden tone, rightness that makes for a memorable listen. In my sessions with them, the bass felt a little soft and diffuse, although real bass is actually soft and diffuse (check out an unamplified bouble bass if you don't believe me). I can live with the bass, and of course, how in practise bass depends critically on the room.
    However, much as I loved them, I couldn't live with them. They make everything sound a little bit more beautiful than it really is and that's not for me.
    I'm certainly in the minority, as these things are hugely popular with fellow otaku here in Japan.

joel, Aug 1, 2008
  4. Mondie

Mondie

Dev,

Thanks for the link, thats an interesting thread.

Joel, Great to hear from somebody who has heard these monoliths, l can only imagine what they may sound like. l am not suprised they are so coloured, wonder if thats something l could ever live with long term. It might become too much of a good thing after a while.

Cheers,
    mondie

Mondie, Aug 3, 2008
  5. Mondie

joel Shaman of Signals

No speaker is perfect, so it is always a case of choosing your poison. Just do so with care...
    One caveat, though. I've listened to these speakers through old valve amps that are more than likely responsible for some of the colouration. It might be instructive to listen through a less coloured chain...
    Resale shouldn't be much of a problem if you don't like...

joel, Aug 3, 2008
  6. Mondie

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I have to disagree on the price -

I was offered some corner GRF's a couple of years ago for £3,000.. and that was a little dear.

The Autographs are better, but it's not chalk and cheese IMO.

Both GRF's and Autographs are wonderful 'fit and forget'type speakers to me. They are not perfect, but they give the kind of enjoyable presentation that it would be very easy to live with.

'Corner speakers' have their own benefits and limitations. Tannoy dual concentrics the same.

I would happily buy a pair and live with them for circa £3k (£4 would be top dollar in my money!).. I don;t think you can compare the price to 'new'.. For example, my IPL DIY speakers cost about £1,000 to make - but are really comparable to a speaker costing £3-£5,000.

All imho

bottleneck, Aug 4, 2008
Ask a Question