The new BBC weather what a load of crap

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, May 29, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

First off where are the wind speeds and preasure contours? I always liked to see them so I could get a better forcast than just cloudy or sunny etc.

Its like people no longer understand countours which find odd since its still covered in GCSE.

Also since when as Newcastle being closer to Manchester than Birmingham? That map is so off scale its a joke, its got touch a sourthern bias.

I think Reg Dyke summed the BBC up when he caled them a bunch of southern baised elitests.

amazingtrade, May 29, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

GAZZ

Email the bbc AT, they are after feedback. I do agree the new weather seems to be for children with the sweeping movements around the country. As you know being in the northwest like me, the weather can be very different with the welsh mountains one side and the pennines on the other.

GAZZ, May 29, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

Yep so it dosn't help when there is say a cloud over an area which covers Chester to Lancaster (i.e the southern North West) which is still a good 100 miles south to north and is a tiny part of the map but a large part of the UK.

I will email the BBC as well. I've found the BBC weather forcasts to be quite inaccurate anyway, too many times now they have said it will be sunny when it ends up raining, but at least it was nice today.

Maybe I suggest they should demote their current 3D map to BBC Newsround, it will do well in the slot before Grange Hill.

At least weather.co.uk gives you satellite image such as this

[​IMG]

The scale is also correct. On the BBC's map the distance between say Devon to Kent is twice as far.

4. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Amazing
    The scale is correct!!!!
    Are you barking?
    France should be at least twice the size of the UK!

Bob

Bob McC, May 29, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

I was refering to the UK rather than Europe. The reason the UK is twice the size as it should is that is a UK forcast.

With the BBC its a national forcast and not a Southern UK one, so all the of the UK should be to scale.

I am not sure its that out anyway, France is twice the size of the UK, thats in surface area, its much bigger west to east rather than south to north. I will try and find a map to scale. Clearly France should be bigger than it is though.

6. amazingtrade

ok this supposed to be scale

[​IMG]

There is not much difference and I reckon you can fit two of those UK's into France.

7. amazingtrade

ditton happy old soul

after yesterday's vote, France is now not quite so big in Europe!

ditton, May 30, 2005
  8. amazingtrade

JonR

Did France vote "no" then? (Sorry - have somehow managed to avoid the news lately...)

JonR, May 30, 2005
  9. amazingtrade

GAZZ

That map can't be right AT The London and the south east is at least twice as big!!!!!

GAZZ, May 30, 2005
  10. amazingtrade

I am too tired for this, but yes according to that map London to Southampton would be about 60 miles. I am not that good at southern geography but I am sure its further than that.

Just checked it on the AA route planner and that came up as 79 miles so it seems pretty accurate to me.

You might have been sarcastic if so I am too tired to tell. :)

amazingtrade, May 30, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

GAZZ

It was a joke At. Meaning how important the BBC view London and the South East. Have you ever noticed when they get 1/2 inch of snow it's the main news.

GAZZ, May 30, 2005
  12. amazingtrade

Sorry I thought it might be I was too tired to tell. Yep I have noticed this that. It could be sunny and warm up here and becuase in London there is a bit of snow its on the national news that the country is covered in snow.

I have also noticed they have great delight in telling us that its going to be raining in Manchester and sunny in London. Its funny that they hardly mention Manchester when its sunny here and raining in London, that happens more often than you would think as well.

The weather forcast for this week for example is more settled in Manchester than it is in London.

amazingtrade, May 30, 2005
  13. amazingtrade

tones compulsive cantater

Satellite photo from European Space Agency. The scale does indeed look right:

[​IMG]

tones, May 30, 2005
  14. amazingtrade

Lt Cdr Data om

spain and turkey are huuuuge

I honestly believe that we are 2 different countries, the southerners are totally different to the north,little sense of humour, community, colder people,
    and the south is irrelevant to the north.
    its a pity we couldn't break off, but the flawed idea recently would be just to make more poncy beaurocrats.

its true and its now in the open, the bbc are southern and london biased. london is ALWAYS on the weather map. I have been looking out for the stupid screechy female weather presenters to keep making references to the south ,and I can't prove it, but they talk about it much more often, the north is minor to them

I think the bbc has had it and is passed its sell by date, sooner it goes now the better. time to move on.

Lt Cdr Data, May 30, 2005
Ask a Question