The one last holy grail of tweaks

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Saab, May 5, 2004.

1. Saab

Saab

a quote from Joachim Gerhard of Audio Physic

and the reason for the exclamation mark?!

Please help,I need to tweak the wife,should I;

1) use hypnosis
    2) sell the furniture when she is out and see what happens
    3)buy a new house
    4)knock the hall wall down and replace it with a hanging rug
    5) any other help appreciated

so,according to Joachim,and who can argue,speaker placement is so massively important its a waste to spend serious money of you cant place the speakers correctly

who here,actually has the speakers in the middle of the room?

Saab, May 5, 2004
  2. Saab

tones compulsive cantater

Divorce or a completely independent listening room are the only solutions, I'm afraid (and, no, I don't have the latter and I don't want the former).

tones, May 5, 2004
  3. Saab

Markus S Trade

I think Joachim's position is that you can save some money by placing the speakers where they sound best. If you don't, you have to throw money at the problem.

He being a manufacturer, I don't think he'll mind.

Markus S, May 5, 2004
  4. Saab

analoguekid Planet Rush

I have them just about in the middle of the longest wall firing and sit within 8 feet of them with speakers abot 7 feet apart, tried them across short wall both in and out of corners and they sounded terrible, there is a small wc through the wall when firing down length of room and this seemed to be causing resonance in the bass, working in the nearfield seems to make soundstage bigger, really does feel bigger than room boundaries. I suggest as above that you try moving them even if just to prove to youself that your current position is the optimum.

As to your wife

Learn to give her multiple orgasms and then all of a sudden she won't care so much about curtains and things

If you already do then I suggest getting shot of her as she is asking too much:D

analoguekid, May 5, 2004
  5. Saab

Saab

right,so throwing money at the problem is what exactly?a new house?:rolleyes:

I understand his point exactly,i just wonder how on earth we can do this,in the era of cheap household furnishings (it was easy in the sixties,the designers were all hippies and only owned one Afghan rug)

Saab, May 5, 2004
  6. Saab

Saab

i think its me that needs hypnosis in that case,and i can't trade her in ,I cant afford an upgrade

Saab, May 5, 2004
  7. Saab

analoguekid Planet Rush

Learn to use the tip of your tounge and later on you could upgrade to vibrator this has the advantage that while she is pleasuring herself you can get some preace to listen to some music:MILD:

analoguekid, May 5, 2004
  8. Saab

Saab

good tip,pun intended:)

Saab, May 5, 2004
  9. Saab

lowrider Live music is surround

You can only do that in a dedicated room, still I wouldnt enjoy music in a place like that, being in a pleasant environment enhances the pleasure from the music, at least for me... :rolleyes:

lowrider, May 5, 2004
  10. Saab

penance Arrogant Cock

and

Antonio,
    you are clearly doing it wrong mate ;)

penance, May 5, 2004
  11. Saab

lowrider Live music is surround

What is wrong with not wanting to do it only in a dedicated room... :p

lowrider, May 5, 2004
  12. Saab

penance Arrogant Cock

like with starps and chains on the wall
    and tubs of axle grease?

oops :shame:

penance, May 5, 2004
  13. Saab

analoguekid Planet Rush

not tried this bondage stuff yet penance, so could you enlighten the uninitiated -what are starps?, some kind of whip.:D

TYPOS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!

analoguekid, May 5, 2004
  14. Saab

kermit still dreaming.......

I used the audi physic way for a few months (my old flat , dedicated room ) .
    It was the full on set up ( speakers around the middle of the room and wide apart , not just one of the above)
    WM and Henry T came and listened to it in this guise .
    My observations ,
    At first listen , it is mightily impressive .
    I had a 6 foot deep soundstage , which gave lots of space to fit in the singer/ band members .
    The problems were
    1, I don,t have AP speakers , mine tend to produce the sound stage behind the speakers, which gave the impression (on some tracks) that some things were being sttrrettchhed .
    Wm pointed this out during his visit and seemed to think that AP speakers have time delays built in .
    The biggest culprit was the 12 wide and 6-7 ft deep drum kit , where the drummer would have needed to have 7ft long arms:D
    Simple Minds recordings were the worst .
    I slowly , but surely started moving the speakers back a foot at a time , after a few weeks they ended up being about 2.5 ft from the wall and thats where they stayed .
    I,m using this set up now at the new place .
    So , my conclusion .
    It,s fun to have a try and some might prefer the presentation .
    I can,t comment on Audio Physic speakers , but you might get better results using these .( if I wasn,t skint , I,d have bitten Badchamps arm off )
    There was no difference in sound quality (although I thought there was at the time:rolleyes: )only a difference in presentation .
    There was more space around instruments/ people in the soundstage which meant you could concentrate more easily on particular parts of the recording more easily .(and show up the faults- ie big drums) but the sound quality was the same .
    Are people missing out ?
    Are they doing themselves no favours ?
    No , not to my mind .
    It,s different , but it s not a must have .
    Unless perhaps your using Audio Physics speakers.

kermit, May 5, 2004
  15. Saab

analoguekid Planet Rush

Is this the replacement for the TT

TYPOS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!:D

analoguekid, May 5, 2004
  16. Saab

kermit still dreaming.......

:D

kermit, May 5, 2004
  17. Saab

analoguekid Planet Rush

It's official I too am now a member whay hey

analoguekid, May 5, 2004
  18. Saab

jtc

The Audio Physic Way and The Nearfield Solution

I actually own and run AudioPhysic Virgo III - which are incredible speakers but very sensitive to positioning.

The AP positioning method really works, but as you say it perhaps favours speakers with similar characteristics to the AP lineup. That is, speakers which are designed for free-space and whose baffles are narrower than the speakers are deep (in the case of the Virgo III, baffle is about 6" across and the speakers are about 20" deep by about 35" tall).

The big goal of the AP method is to try to 'tune out' the room by maximising direct signal and minimising indirect reflections and so on - and the idea is (as you might have guessed) to place the speakers quite far into the room and sit by the back wall. Inflexible for most homes, and completely unsuitable in my home.

My solution is to reverse this scenario somewhat, with the speakers closer to the front wall, and pull up a chair into the middle of the room (it being easier to move me and a chair than to move the speakers).

This works wonderfully, but the sheer speed and dynamics of the AP speakers can make it a bit overwhelming so I mainly just listen in a conventional arrangement.

However, for every foot you sit closer to the speakers the detail and subtlety is intensified. Also the relative width of the stereo image increases as you get closer to the speakers. I think an equilateral triangle is best for these speakers.

Anyway, just some of my experiences...

jtc

jtc, May 5, 2004
  19. Saab

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I could have told you that :D

BTW I have my speakers on bookshelves firing at right angles to each other, and at completely different heights. Sounds great!

leonard smalls, May 5, 2004
  20. Saab

Hex Spurt

The subject of speaker placement gets a lot of attention in the high-end (yes, I know, before you all say it;) ) world of home cinema.

The goal is to arrange speakers, room dimensions (yes, they actually move walls) and seating so that the maximum number of seats have an even sound response. We're talking about people who have enough dough to have a dedicated cinema room built, not just some spud bunging a 5.1 system in the living room.

Back in the real world, the closest most of us get is the option of choosing speakers that work reasonably well close to the rear wall instead of rear ported bass reflex models.

The toughest bit of room acoustics to engineer is bass response. Most rooms have lumpy bass frequency response because of interactions at various harmonics that coincide with the room dimensions. If you have a sound level meter handy you can use some of the excellent free downloads to plot room response.

Higher frequency problems can be treated with diffusers and absorbers, but again very few people would be happy with big foam boxes stuck to their living room walls.

Infinity have (had?) some tuneable speaker to help with room response. I used them once at a show, but the electronics was an AV rig so it would be unfair to draw any conclusions.

Regards

Hex.

Hex Spurt, May 5, 2004
Ask a Question